Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont start/run

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wont start/run

ok just trying to do some trouble shooting.....
I have a 2000 z28 with lots of goodies, the car has been sitting in my garage
for about 8 months untouched. I went to get it out the other day and wth car would not start, which I didnt think was crazy because it has been sitting so long. I hooked a battery charger up to it and all it would do was click, so I let it charge a while and went back and checked the it was 13.xx or 14.xx don't remember exactly. it will crank over and start every not and then but die soon after. if I hammer on the gas it will stay running for a few seconds but as soon
as I pull the battery charger off it will die.
so what are we thinking here....
could be a bad ground
could be a bad alternator
anything else you can think of for me to check?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

air, spark or fuel. it one of the three. put a fuel pressure gauge on and see what you get. if you put your volt meter on your battery when the car is off what do you get? when the car is on with the a/c running and lights on what do you get?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

also i should have included this in the first post it will randomly lose power to the entire car.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Number 1, if it won't start without a charger attached you probably have a dead cell or two in your battery, which is not uncommon if you've left the battery connected while it was parked for 8 mos. If it dies when you remove the battery charger I'd look at your battery cables. The cables could be corroded through causing spotty connections, and also your alt could be bad and not recharging the system. With the battery just sitting it should read ~12V, with the car running it should be ~14.4V or so.

I've also had a previous car randomly loose power to everything and it was a cracked cap on the starter solenoid. Replaced the starter and it was all good.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The clue is the clicking starter. This is either a bad battery, or a faulty alternator, or both.
I think your battery is gone. Before you change anything, though, try disconnecting the battery, then use a known good battery from another car.
You can easily do this by using jumper cables to bridge between the 'new' battery, and the existing cables on the 'bad' car.
If the car now runs, connect a voltmeter across the terminals of the 'new' battery, and verify that you see 14v or more. This should prove that your alternater is charging the battery properly.
If not charging, take the alternator to AutoZone. I think that they'll test it for you.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gMAG
The clue is the clicking starter. This is either a bad battery, or a faulty alternator, or both.
I think your battery is gone. Before you change anything, though, try disconnecting the battery, then use a known good battery from another car.
You can easily do this by using jumper cables to bridge between the 'new' battery, and the existing cables on the 'bad' car.
If the car now runs, connect a voltmeter across the terminals of the 'new' battery, and verify that you see 14v or more. This should prove that your alternater is charging the battery properly.
If not charging, take the alternator to AutoZone. I think that they'll test it for you.
Agreed. I went through the same thing with two cars. My 99 WS6 sat for about a year before I started it back up. The battery was dead which was expected but when I charged it, the charge wouldnt hold. Turned out my alternator crapped too. On my 2000 WS6, all was good and used it daily till one day I just heard a click and died. It would turn on if I was lucky but had low voltage. Turned out to be some corroded connections.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

thanks guys i will do some checking and testing tonight when i get home. i will try to let you all know what happens
Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

i didnt get a chance to work on the car last night, now with vday i prob wont tonight either maybe on thursday i will....i will keep my fingers crossed i can lol
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, guys, it's Valentines Day.
Priorities first!
But first, I have to run out and check my wife's Volvo. There's fluid underneath the L rear brake area. It's time for rear shocks, and the good people @ Volvo quoted me $850!
Another job for Dr. Glenn.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

My car has also been sitting for about 7 months. I know my battery is dead but do I need to worry about bad oil or gas or anything? I'm draining the radiator and using new coolant before I start it. Will anything just go bad sitting around for so long? It has brand new full syn oil in it and very little gas. I will throw a few buck of 94 octane in before starting it up. Water pump took a dump on me and it's just sat.