Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is running the Holley EFI Dual Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Who is running the Holley EFI Dual Quad?

Hey guys,

I am looking for some help. I have been looking into picking up a Holley Dual Quad Mid Rise EFI manifold. Part Number: 300-121 (not a bade deal considering you get the manifold with fuel rails for under 400.00)

It seems like a really good design, and utilizes there 1,000 cfm throttle bodies. But here iss the kicker....I can't find ONE person running it...and Holley themselves don't have ANY documentation on use LOL. I called tech support this morning to find out about the linkage and he straight up said they have no records or documentation on one in terms of hp and etc.

Well...with that being said....is anyone here running one and what is your impression? How do you have your linkage setup (1:1 or progressive?) Which TB did you grab TPS off (primary im assuming?). Did the pcm accept the TPS and IAC values ok?

I really want to run this intake in my swap. Its a beautiful looking piece with the rpm range I am looking for....and I imagine it moves a ton of air with two 1,000 CFM throttle bodies.

Thanks

Last edited by bfurches; 05-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought about it, even looks like it would clear my hood. What TB's are those? IIRC, the FAST EZ-EFI has provisions for dual TB's...
Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those particular throttle bodies in the photo are the Holley 1,000 CFM Billet 4150 units.

You are correct, FAST does offer dual quad setups of the EZ EFI, but that would defeat the purpose of this manifold (since it is setup for direct port injection).

I placed a call to Accufab today who were very friendly and helpful. The rep suggested running two of there 4150 units with a standard 1:1 linkage rod, an IAC block-off on the secondary throttle body and the TPS off the front.

All and all, I think this would make for a really nice setup.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you don't see this on any setups is because one tb is more than enough for most builds.

There are cars in the 8's using 1 4150 style throttle body using port injection.

This was made to appeal to the car show hot rodder, that is going for looks over performance.

Looks nice but overkill for performance.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, there is no reason for a progressive linkage since the throttle bodies only regulate air and not fuel. Since all injectors are firing relatively the same, You need the same amount of air to all 8.

If they were carbs, you would need a progressive linkage to control the fuel because that much fuel is not needed for part throttle operation.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

While I don't have experience with dual setups like this, I was also thinking that as it's fuel injected, the throttle bodies are just air valves and should not be progressive. I agree with bbw.

I'm also thinking this is overkill, what size motor is this going on?

Look great though, I'd like to see more.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

You guys are both correct on the linkage. Being direct port there is no advantage to running progressive linkage.

I also agree with the statement about a single 4150 being more then enough, however, if the fuel injected version of this manifold can produce anywhere near the additional low end torque production the carb version did over a vic jr...with no sacrafice in top end power....then I would think this would be the hot ticket for a street car.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/..._build_part_5/

...I have an L33 I am interested in running this on in my mustang. The swap involves a GTO T56, and I felt the gearing and motor configuration would be a blast around town and still make some good power up top.

While it is a cool looking setup, and potential for huge flow....you guys may be on to something with the "less is more theory"....
I just like the idea of the additional torque production.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bfurches
Those particular throttle bodies in the photo are the Holley 1,000 CFM Billet 4150 units.

You are correct, FAST does offer dual quad setups of the EZ EFI, but that would defeat the purpose of this manifold (since it is setup for direct port injection).

I placed a call to Accufab today who were very friendly and helpful. The rep suggested running two of there 4150 units with a standard 1:1 linkage rod, an IAC block-off on the secondary throttle body and the TPS off the front.

All and all, I think this would make for a really nice setup.
I thought that was pretty obvious, sorry if it didn't come off as such. If they're not called "throttle bodies", what is the proper term for air-only?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, you were correct in tearminology, its still a throttle body...

I just wasnt sure if you realized the FAST setup is actually throttle body injection (injectors are mounted at the throttle bodies on the FAST setup). It would be perfect on the carb manifold, but i would not be able to use there dual quad setup on the efi version of the manifold im looking to get.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Obviously, you're not using the EZ EFI system with the injectors in the throttle bodies.

Unless the FAST system has a MAF, it won't care how many throttle bodies are on the engine. You'll only be using one TPS on one throttle body. Adjustments for air & fuel will be in your tunings and tweaked by the O2 sensor.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Obviously, you're not using the EZ EFI system with the injectors in the throttle bodies.

Unless the FAST system has a MAF, it won't care how many throttle bodies are on the engine. You'll only be using one TPS on one throttle body. Adjustments for air & fuel will be in your tunings and tweaked by the O2 sensor.
...correct...actually I was just clarifying for S10xGN, as he suggested that FAST offered the throttle bodies in dual quad configuration...and as great as that is, they wont work in this application.

My game plan was to run the manifold with dual Accufab throttle bodies on the stock PCM with a speed density tune. Do you see any problems going that route?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bfurches
...correct...actually I was just clarifying for S10xGN, as he suggested that FAST offered the throttle bodies in dual quad configuration...and as great as that is, they wont work in this application.

My game plan was to run the manifold with dual Accufab throttle bodies on the stock PCM with a speed density tune. Do you see any problems going that route?
My bad, I've looked at so many of these things over the past month... I was talking FAST, but in reality the one for MPFI that I was thinking of was the Holley Avenger system. And after a re-read, it doesn't appear to work in dual TB apps...
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by S10xGN
My bad, I've looked at so many of these things over the past month... I was talking FAST, but in reality the one for MPFI that I was thinking of was the Holley Avenger system. And after a re-read, it doesn't appear to work in dual TB apps...
No sweat man, I kinda figured I was misunderstanding what you were trying to say anyways.

The market is so flooded its impossible to keep up with all the crap that comes out every week lol.

Quick Reply: Who is running the Holley EFI Dual Quad?