Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redoing my 2002 z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your parts list is looking really good. It seems you are addressing almost every weak link on this cars. The only thing I would do different is install TSP 1" 7/8 longtubes as appose to the 1" 3/4. With those heads and cam it would help you motor breathe a little better.
Also, if you putting those 4.10 in a 10bolt you should weld the axle tubes to the house for good measure. It will help keep your axle tubes from flexing during hard acceleration.
Just my 2cents.

What about suspension?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by patroick67
well tomorrow is the day that my car is going back together so I should have a whole bunch of pictures tomorrow, I am sort of reconsidering installing these motor mounts sense I found a write up and it says you have to drop the a/c compressor and the alternator. That seems like a pain in the butt
From the man who just pulled the whole top end of the motor off?? Those motor mounts shouldn't be too bad! I have poly mounts and would have recommended the same to you, but you will probably like the solids.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
From the man who just pulled the whole top end of the motor off?? Those motor mounts shouldn't be too bad! I have poly mounts and would have recommended the same to you, but you will probably like the solids.
Poly mounts for the win
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cknoma2005
Your parts list is looking really good. It seems you are addressing almost every weak link on this cars. The only thing I would do different is install TSP 1" 7/8 longtubes as appose to the 1" 3/4. With those heads and cam it would help you motor breathe a little better.
Also, if you putting those 4.10 in a 10bolt you should weld the axle tubes to the house for good measure. It will help keep your axle tubes from flexing during hard acceleration.
Just my 2cents.

What about suspension?
Fantastic question.

Your going to experience a **** ton of wheel hop with all of that power but no suspension upgrades. At a very minimum, you'll need some lower control arms, relocation brackets, panhard bar, subframe connectors, and probably a torque arm as well.

Sounds like you'll be in the 450 rwhp range, so I'd definitely take this time to address the suspension.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

As far as suspension it is mostly stock. The car has kyb adjustable shocks in the back and ever bushing is energy suspension on the car accept the motor mounts they are stock, can't say I blame the prior owner for not upgrading those. I decided to go ahead and install the motor mounts on the car and I am really trying address as many of the weak points on the car as I can. The 10bolt I am not to worried as I plan to move on to a 9" here in a couple months. After the 9" I plan to do a lot of suspension work my goals are to have a sub 10 second car without nitrous I know I have a lot of work to get to that point but it is so much easier than doing it with a 4 cylinder like I was. After I get my rearend I'm putting a shot of nitrous on it and calling it done. I want to keep all thecreature comforts in this car. I should have ppictures up tonight of progress on the car.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Well the car has been going really slow mainly because it is hard to find someone to help me with the motor mounts. I really hate being under the car by myself when no one is around. I will hopefully have it all back together monday.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

So I got a little bit further yesterday. I am now getting all the top end back together. I had to stop last night because my torque wrench was acting weird so I stopped and am going to go warranty it out. I don't want to be putting the head bolts in at the wrong torque.

That is where I am now. I just set the intake on there to see what it would look like.

I will say that the texas speed headers are the easiest header EVER to put in the car. The pacesetters I took a saw zaw to get out the tsp headers went right in took 30 seconds.

Today I will be finishing the heads, getting the intake back on and hooking back up all the sensors and powersteering. I really only have little things left to address and place another order today with the ws6store to get a catch can setup, buy a 104mm lid and I am still looking at mafs I don't know which one I will go with the "85"mm z06 maf I can get at my work for 70 dollars or I can go with a 100mm maf which I don't think will really benefit me at all for about 250-300.

Dyno tuning will be happening a little later this month but definetly still this month. I am just trying to get as many mods done on the car so that I don't have to spend more money on the car getting it retuned later on.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

looking great.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Well it was a busy day alot of progress was made on the car. First off I had to stop last night because I realized all my 3/8th inch tools are still packed up from when I was moving so I had to go to work and buy tools! Who doesn't like that!

Then I got the new headers on and I bought some locking header bolts, never used any before but I do say they look freaking sweet!

Picture is sort of blurry but basically the idea is the lock with a c clip so and rest against the header so they will never back out.

After getting those headers on ( much easier installing these than removing the pacesetters I felt it was time for a break, so me and the hound relaxed for a bit lol

Went back out into the garage and I was sort of tired of working on the engine so I started working on some of the interior items. I took some 3m tape and started to mount the aem wideband I think this will look the best and I'll be able to see it.

I stopped after I got all the accessories back on bought a new water pump (just couldn't put the used one back on). The girlfriend came home and taking I had been working on the car for 12 hours I thought it was time for some time away from it. I stopped at mounting the new 42lb injectors on the car.

After dinner I started looking online for the next mod.....I did it, I bought a s60 rearend :p
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Teching In

So far this is looking great! I'm following!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

So today I ordered a couple things, 104mm lid and a catch can setup, I was told the factory setup just wouldn't be good enough so I figured there wasn't a better time than now to address this issue. I am still a bit confused on if I want to run a maf or go speed density. I live here in indiana where the weather is 80 degree one day then 35 and rainy the next so it is a tough choice if I went speed density I would have to buy my own efi live suite or hp tuners suite. If I keep my maf I plan to use a 100mm maf so I'll have a fairly free flowing intake setup.

I like the price of the hp tuner pro I am just curious on the ease of tuning with it and how well it works over all if anyone has any feedback it's just a better price than efi live is. I know being a cheap *** when I shouldn't be.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Well I just got done talking with Carl at CRP he is a great guy and crazy for answering my call at 11p.m. (in a good way)! But it is officially done I have ordered my new rearend! Extremely easy to deal with I hope to do business with you in the future Carl.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

this build is turning up pretty awesome, their is just no delays for you in ordering parts whats so ever lol. Subscribed.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Yeah like I told Carl I'm in the army, single, no real bills besides a car payment and I am parting out my sfwd car as well so it give me a large amount of money to play with. Next on my order list I'm wanting to order a torque arm, driveshaft, rear shocks and some other rear items so I can replace everything back there once then move onto my tires and finally my transmission! I want to see how far I can take this little ls1.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by patroick67
Yeah like I told Carl I'm in the army, single, no real bills besides a car payment and I am parting out my sfwd car as well so it give me a large amount of money to play with. Next on my order list I'm wanting to order a torque arm, driveshaft, rear shocks and some other rear items so I can replace everything back there once then move onto my tires and finally my transmission! I want to see how far I can take this little ls1.
Awesome build so far.

While you're at it, you should check out the Koni sale that BMR has going on right now. Sick prices on 4 Konis, and some BMR lowering springs. I'm jealous about that S60, i have my eyes on that damn thing right now myself.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks I'll take a look at the sale that they have going on them! Nothing super awesome came in today I did get my 104mm lid and another transmission mount. I am going to try and take the backing plates off the car here in a little bit so that I can send them into strange and finish hooking all the small stuff up on the engine. I will probably go ahead and remove the old rear end here in the next couple of days and start working on my fuel system and start shopping for some suspension.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

So I was going to pull my backing plates off of my 10 bolts because 350$ is alot to spend for new backing plates, I got on amazon and typed in gm's part number and bought them at 65$ a piece so if anyone needs to buy new backing plates I recommend amazon!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Looks like a great build man! What part of Indiana you from I'm in Ohio also looks like maybe you work at advance auto parts too
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

I'm from bloomington, I've worked at advanced for what seems like forever...I took off a bit from there to go over to iraq then came back and started working there again.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

So i have some extra time while I am waiting for my rearend, so I thought what better time to do small things like clean and paint my valve covers. My valve covers were horribly dirty so after a can of brake clean and paper towels I was a little light headed. I was like screw it! So I put them in the dishwasher....they don't lie. Cascade cuts right through the grease lol

Just be quiet and she will never know what I have done....shhhh.

Then my next big delima is should I keep a maf or should I go to speed density? The one thing that would suck about sd is i live in indiana where it can snow one day and be 92 degrees the next so some days it wouldn't run the best.

So this is where I am at. I plan to pain the valve covers and install my trunion upgrade tonight then the motor will be 100% back together and then I just need to hook the last few things up.

Quick Reply: Redoing my 2002 z28