Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudmouth "resonator" replaced with 18" Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudmouth "resonator" replaced with 18" Bullet

I recently installed Jethot Longtube headers and ORY and the sound with the Loudmouth cat back, and as many know, to say the least, was extremely annoying. I bought an 18" Dynomax bullet muffler (Part #24219) to replace the resonator, and the difference is amazing. The car is actually more quiet from 1000-3000rpm than the loudmouth with the stock exhaust manifolds, inside the car and out. The car used to drone horribly on the inside from the 2000-3000rpm range, which is also gone now. The exhaust has a nice deep rumble to it now, and from the 3000-6000rpm range it roars at WOT. Thought I would share my experience for anyone else considering the same mod.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you happen to notice any sotp difference with the added backpressure?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zo6Killer
It did not feel any different after the bullet install. Then again I only drove the car for 10 miles after then header install.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL!!! I just got my car back from the header install. SLP LT's, ORY and LM and my god does it sound rediculous. I think I gave an old lady a heart attack walking down the street. I've only driven the car 4 miles since the install and it isn't leaving my garage until I can fix the noise... sounds like your idea might be the best. I was going to try 2 high flow cats... anyone ever try that?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

LOL...similar story...

My buddy in his 99 TA with loudmouth and gutted cats....He started up his car just as a mom and her 4 year old were walking by it. I think the little kid pissed himself it scared him so bad. The mom was actually pretty cool, and kinda hot, and she liked the car and how it sounded. My buddy felt so bad for scareing the little kid. We apologized and the mom was pretty cool about it.

Maybe that experience will turn that little boy into a muscle car loving freak
Old 04-20-2004, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
LOL!!! I just got my car back from the header install. SLP LT's, ORY and LM and my god does it sound rediculous. I think I gave an old lady a heart attack walking down the street. I've only driven the car 4 miles since the install and it isn't leaving my garage until I can fix the noise... sounds like your idea might be the best. I was going to try 2 high flow cats... anyone ever try that?
Mine's got the high-flow cats, but it's still loud as hell. I'm pretty happy with it all except for highway driving. After 30 minutes cruising in 6th at 80mph, my ears are ringing. Even though she loves the in-town sound, the ol' lady doesn't like long road trips anymore .

I actually have about 4 or so stories of kids (probably not literally) crapping their pants when I start her up (or 6K rev her to show off in front of my friends in their neighborhoods ). My friends have introduced my as "the guy with the car that scared your kids"

hahahaha

Unfortunately, with the amount of driving I do on the highway I'll be putting that Dynomax bullet in there soon. I hope it keeps that same sweet sound from 3-6K
Old 04-20-2004, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cats will completley take care of the rasp. I just went through this same thing myself. A 18" bullet will be a lot better than the resonator with !cats. That's the setup I'm running right now. Still a little bit of rasp at certian r's. I've just learn to stay out of the raspy r's. It is however very loud still. Absolutley screams at WOT.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm... didn't mean to hijack the thread. So which way to go... Bullet and/or Cats???
Old 04-20-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was running LT's with the oryp and SLP LM. I later cammed my car and it was ridiculous. I begand to have a few problems with the FLP clamps on the oryp and I took the exhuast off up to the headers. I rode like that for about a week before with open headers! It was STUPID LOUD! At idle it sounded fawkin great and at WOT it was like being in a top fuel car. I cut off the LM resonator and welded in a cutout and 18" dynomax bullet muffler. The interior resonace was gone and the inside noise level was a lot quieter and much mroe pleasant. The exterior exhaust note was still loud and actualy sounds a bit deeper without the rasp that the LM had. I did notice a lot less power off the line when I was runnign open headers. The car felt quite a bit quicker off the line when the exhuats went back on. Might be in my head, but it didn feel noticeable. Also running open headers made me rely on my shift light alot more, instead of being able to usually just shift off the engine/exhaust tone.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Launching!

hmmm... didn't mean to hijack the thread. So which way to go... Bullet and/or Cats???

i 2nd that question, im gonna be looking for a solution to that when i add long tubes, i knew all this before gettin the LM, but i knew there was solutions, and the best seems to be the bullet. Would you guys agree???
Old 04-20-2004, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STKoRn97
i 2nd that question, im gonna be looking for a solution to that when i add long tubes, i knew all this before gettin the LM, but i knew there was solutions, and the best seems to be the bullet. Would you guys agree???

For the best sound I would leave the resonator alone and go with cats. I'm pretty frustrated with my cat back setup now. I wish I would've done more reading before I got the LM. I'm thinking about just replacing the whole thing. It's still got some rasp w/o cat and a bullet. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the Bullet muffler this morning and will be installing tonight, I had always planned on doing the cats anyway. I am actually considering going with 2 more bullets where the cats would go...??? Any thoughts???

Can someone recommend a cat-back exhaust system that will solve this whole problem? It would almost be easier to do that (excpet for hooking up the CME tips...)
Old 04-21-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zo6Killer
Added backpressure from bullet mufflers? You're kidding, right?
Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just gave the the bullet a test fit and I think I am just going to go with a new cat-back - the bullet doesn't look much different than the resonator anyway, I can't imagine it is going to give me the result I'm looking for. The smallest bullet they make won't fit in the removeable pipes on the front of the Y either...

I should have just kept the stock manifolds or the stock cat back...
Old 04-21-2004, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

I just gave the the bullet a test fit and I think I am just going to go with a new cat-back - the bullet doesn't look much different than the resonator anyway, I can't imagine it is going to give me the result I'm looking for. The smallest bullet they make won't fit in the removeable pipes on the front of the Y either...

I should have just kept the stock manifolds or the stock cat back...
I had the exhaust shop weld the bullet muffler in place of the resonator. The charge was $40 at the exhaust shop. The bullet muffler is a lot different from the so called resonator. The bullet muffler looks like it has layers of screen mesh on the inside, and it does quiet the exhaust down. The resonator doesn't have anything in it. Its just a bulge in the pipe, nothing more.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

I have a magnaflow cb and kooks lt and ory that should be here any day. Instead of a bullet in the I-pipe I am going to weld in the dynomax race welded muffler (sorry, no part number but it can be easily found on jegs website). This muffler is straight through so it should flow the same as the bullet but actually quiet the exhaust down a bit and reduce more rasp. I've never heard a set up like this before and am very anxious for my lt & ory to show up! I'll post sound sound files once I have everything installed. Just another option in lieu of a bullet.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Teching In

I just purchase the SLP LM, I'm running stock everything right now, this is the first mod I'm getting ready to do to the car. I have to keep the converters (D.C. suburb). Will my nieghbors hate me?? Is it as load as a Harley (I know it will sound different). Just purchased my WS6 6spd 14,000 mi. 3 weeks ago... Awsome car. I'm old school so the newer (older that 1980) chevy engines are a learning curve for me. Look forward to many more mods.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6erman
I just purchase the SLP LM, I'm running stock everything right now, this is the first mod I'm getting ready to do to the car. I have to keep the converters (D.C. suburb). Will my nieghbors hate me?? Is it as load as a Harley (I know it will sound different). Just purchased my WS6 6spd 14,000 mi. 3 weeks ago... Awsome car. I'm old school so the newer (older that 1980) chevy engines are a learning curve for me. Look forward to many more mods.
I had the LM and replaced the resonator with a round bullet type Borla XR-1 muffler. Best mod to a LM I ever could have made. So much better sounding and still plenty loud.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Launching!

i got slp lts, random tec cats and a borla cat back fully open. i have no droning and its not very loud with normal driving. when u put your foot in it, everyone and their mom can hear it. i am going to be taking the cats off soon, so i may need to do this mod. ill make sure i get an 18" bullet muff.

Quick Reply: Loudmouth "resonator" replaced with 18" Bullet