Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstone812
Finally got mine on. Passenger side went on perfect driver side however was a different story. The header wouldn't even fit without shaving off some of the bellhousing on my trans and then I had to hammer it up with a piece of wood and a hammer.
So you had to do that to the driver's side to get it up in place, was it fine after you bolted it up? I'm confused if that's what it too to get it into the engine bay, or what it took to get it to bolt up. If it was simply getting it in place, then chances are you either didn't have the car high enough, or maybe you needed to unbolt the engine mount or steering bracket to get more room.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So the ypipe is still not available?
They say y-pipe due by end of month. They are waiting on them to ship my entire package deal.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what the size of the bolts are for the exhaust manifold?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So you had to do that to the driver's side to get it up in place, was it fine after you bolted it up? I'm confused if that's what it too to get it into the engine bay, or what it took to get it to bolt up. If it was simply getting it in place, then chances are you either didn't have the car high enough, or maybe you needed to unbolt the engine mount or steering bracket to get more room.
I could have unbolted engine mount but that required more work than I wanted to do. Unbolted steering bracket but it wasn't budging. This was the easiest possible way. To get it in place it was hitting on my th400 bellhousing I had to shave it to even clear it and then beat it all the way up into the bay with a hammer and a piece of wood.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I just got my 1 7/8 in. Pass side literally fell in, 30 seconds and it was in and bolted. Driverside required some massaging to get it into place, but I required no k member mods. I also did NOT have to pull the steering shaft. I'm using a pacesetter y pipe so going to see how that fits next.

Last edited by ddnspider; 08-24-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
They say y-pipe due by end of month. They are waiting on them to ship my entire package deal.
Hopefully SPEED ENGINEERING will chime in here and let us know the status of the y-pipe/our orders......
Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Speed Engineering is incredible . . . There is no better "Bang For The Buck" !!!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ez2cdave: Thank you for the comments.

We are expecting Y-Pipes by the end of the week, or beginning of next. Haven't got an exact eta yet.

As for installing the driver side header. All that is required to install them is to remove the bottom bolt of the steering shaft, and rotating it up. No filters etc have to be removed. If you can get the car high enough you might be able to slide it in without removing the steering shaft. We have never installed them with a TH400. Not sure how the fitment is.

Thanks
Sean
Old 08-24-2014, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
ez2cdave: Thank you for the comments. We are expecting Y-Pipes by the end of the week, or beginning of next. Haven't got an exact eta yet. As for installing the driver side header. All that is required to install them is to remove the bottom bolt of the steering shaft, and rotating it up. No filters etc have to be removed. If you can get the car high enough you might be able to slide it in without removing the steering shaft. We have never installed them with a TH400. Not sure how the fitment is. Thanks Sean
I'm not complaining at all for the price and it wasn't that big of a deal at all. I'm sure I'll be happy with the performance.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

ez2cdave: Thank you for the comments.

We are expecting Y-Pipes by the end of the week, or beginning of next. Haven't got an exact eta yet.

As for installing the driver side header. All that is required to install them is to remove the bottom bolt of the steering shaft, and rotating it up. No filters etc have to be removed. If you can get the car high enough you might be able to slide it in without removing the steering shaft. We have never installed them with a TH400. Not sure how the fitment is.

Thanks
Sean
Thanks for the update...looking forward to arrival!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Sponsor

All Y-Pipe back orders have been filled, and shipped out today.

Thanks again guys..
Sean
Old 09-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sean, no more QTP? Haha damn you guys had the best prices. May want to update the website. Thanks for the quick refund and email.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't mean to sound like "that guy", but I KNOW for a fact I priced the race version (non egr/air) header & Y pipe for $400 and change.... and now I check the site to see the Y pipe itself is $859???? And now the Combo is $995??

...Is this a glitch? A Joke? or are you serious about the cost?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Sponsor

red_00z28: Ya, unfortunately, we no longer carry them. Were in the middle of moving sites, and haven't kept up on the current live site. Sorry for the confusion.

JamesD.: That's not the normal price. We just cranked it up so no one would buy it in the mean time. In the description we note that we're in the middle of changing our Y-Pipe design, and will be on back order for 4 months or so.

Thanks
Sean
Old 09-03-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really wish header mfg'ers would give this dimension on ALL their products. Not everybody wants a cookie-cutter car. I have two swaps, A Maverick and a Rambler American. I made headers for the Mav from Ford headers, really want 1 7/8" headers for the Rambo! Looks like 2010 Camaro headers *might* fit, but who wants to take a chance with this kind of $$$ at stake?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JamesD.: That's not the normal price. We just cranked it up so no one would buy it in the mean time. In the description we note that we're in the middle of changing our Y-Pipe design, and will be on back order for 4 months or so.

Thanks
Sean
Whew! I was just about to ask the same question!
Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Sponsor

S10xGN: The F-Body headers really dont fit very many cars. The drivers side collector kicks out pretty far causing fitment issues with most frames/sub-frames. We plan on doing swap headers down the road with all sizing and dimensions listed, but its going to be a while.

Thanks
Sean
Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

S10xGN: The F-Body headers really dont fit very many cars. The drivers side collector kicks out pretty far causing fitment issues with most frames/sub-frames. We plan on doing swap headers down the road with all sizing and dimensions listed, but its going to be a while.

Thanks
Sean
Sean, anything with dims would be a huge help. So you have no dims for any of your headers at this point?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Sponsor

With the F-Body headers no. Just because they will have fitment issues with 90% of the cars out there, and we don't want to be doing returns constantly.

We are getting our 99-06 truck headers in next week which is a different story. They fit a few different vehicles which we will be test fitting, showing dimensions, and a few different pics/angles.

Thanks
Sean
Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the F-Body headers no. Just because they will have fitment issues with 90% of the cars out there, and we don't want to be doing returns constantly.
Actually people have been running Pacesetter/Hooker headers in both A and G bodies for years, and there is at least one person on here using TSP headers in a 85 Monte Carlo SS.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!