Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

What does everyone mean by the 02's are too deep?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
What does everyone mean by the 02's are too deep?
Look back in the thread and look for the pictures I posted. There is a shot I took straight down the collector. It looks like the O2 bung was welded in backwards, so instead of most of the bung being on the outside of the collector most of it is on the inside.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the headers yesterday and they fit like a glove. No need to notch the frame or anything like that. The starter will need to be dropped as expected though. On a side note; the o2 bung position could benifit from a small tweak in position as the wires comming out of the drivers side o2 sensor barely rub the shifter linkage on my automatic trans when the car is in park. Its no big deal now but if the next batch is tweaked and the bung is not welded as deep in the collector I can see this being a problem as the sensor wil stick out too much for comfort In its current position IMO. My suggestion would be to move the bung farther forward in the collector closer to the primaries One inch forward should be more than enough to clear the tip of the shifter linkage. I did install poly mounts so no sagging factory mounts to blame this on and this is on a 4l60E Factory trans setup. I also had to really tighten the crap outta the clamps to get the tubing to somewhat crush and seal off. Some 2" long stepped bandclamps, 3" in diamiter would have been the ticket here. I would change the 1" long ones out before the install If I had it to do over again. Im not bashing these headers at all just giving a heads up to future buyers some of the small hurdles they may come up against during the install. Overall I am very happy with the fit and finish of this system and the factory catback fits the ypipe good. Thanks Speed Engineering for a quality product at an affordable price.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Look back in the thread and look for the pictures I posted. There is a shot I took straight down the collector. It looks like the O2 bung was welded in backwards, so instead of most of the bung being on the outside of the collector most of it is on the inside.
Don't forget Sean said this has been corrected with the next batch.

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
The starter will need to be dropped as expected though.
Is this an automatic transmission-only issue? There was plenty of room with the starter installed on the manual transmission install we did.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

I honestly dont know. I have only had auto trans cars. I had a little more trouble with the pass side and therefore assumed the starter would need to be removed for the install. I didnt really try to force it without removing the starter but it might have been a possibility.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know whether or not the sensor being too deep would affect the sensor readings?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the comments, and heads up. Our new batch is in. We have approx 15 left of the old version which we are continuing to sell. If you guys would like a set from the new batch just make note when ordering. The new sets feature O2 Sensor holes pushed out. As well as inside/outside welded primary flanges, with port matched inner primaries. Other than that everything else is the same.

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by NW-FBody
Does anyone know whether or not the sensor being too deep would affect the sensor readings?
No, it will not affect readings unless the sensor is too close to a single primary getting an individual cylinder pulse. We try and keep the O2 bung as far back on the collector as we can for that specific reason.

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
No, it will not affect readings unless the sensor is too close to a single primary getting an individual cylinder pulse. We try and keep the O2 bung as far back on the collector as we can for that specific reason.

Thanks
Sean
cool.

with this info, im 100% satisfied. thanks again!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i will need extensions if i run these headers with true duals and want to make it come out the rear of the car?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be ordering these headers within the week. The only thing I'm still debating on is the y-pipe.

I was going to have one made, but I guess I could take a shot at yours.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Sponsor

possessedsaint: Yes, we recommend running the extensions. Other wise you will have to extend your own wires. Which, can be a nightmare considering soder doesn't stick to the coating on factory wires. Several people try butt connecting them, however the heat from the headers most of the time expands the connectors which eventually looses connection as well.

Tranz Zam: Sounds good. Only thing we recommended if you get our Y-Pipe is to cut 1/2"-1" slits on each connection in order to quench the pipe correctly. Other than that it works just fine.

Thanks
Sean
Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

possessedsaint: Yes, we recommend running the extensions. Other wise you will have to extend your own wires. Which, can be a nightmare considering soder doesn't stick to the coating on factory wires. Several people try butt connecting them, however the heat from the headers most of the time expands the connectors which eventually looses connection as well.

Thanks
Sean
do you guys sell the extensions?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Tranz Zam: Sounds good. Only thing we recommended if you get our Y-Pipe is to cut 1/2"-1" slits on each connection in order to quench the pipe correctly. Other than that it works just fine.

Thanks
Sean
Sounds good man. I'll be buying very soon!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by possessedsaint
do you guys sell the extensions?
Yep, they are an option on our site, and on ebay.

Thanks guys
Sean
Old 03-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Installed the Speed Engineering headers/Y last night. I got a set from the old batch, didn't want to wait for the rest of the sets to be sold. I wish I would have know that I could just add a note requesting a set from the new batch, oh well.

When I opened the box, the end of the collector on the drivers side header was crushed in a little bit, not sure if that's because of the shoddy packaging, or if they just didn't get looked over before being sent out. I put vice grips on them and straightened it out no problem, but I shouldn't have had to do this in the first place.

Overall the install went smoothly, as others have stated, you may want to get some different band clamps from summit or something, could never get the ones that SE sent to fully clamp down, even with a 210ft/lb impact, I even ended up stripping one of the bolts out, my bad.

All said and done, for the price, you can't really go wrong.

This is how close the Y is from the ground, stock springs/shocks. I'll be installing the strano/bilstein combo next weekend, if it gets here.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ordered my set tonight. Can't wait to get them on.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kramsdell

This is how close the Y is from the ground, stock springs/shocks. I'll be installing the strano/bilstein combo next weekend, if it gets here.

well the reason i didnt want true duals dumped was because of how much they seem to hang......doesnt look like very much clearence.

but it seems that even if i went with a ypipe that it would be about the same
Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

does anyone have pics with these headers with true duals dumped and true dual out the back
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Teching In

From what I gathered is that the fit is good on headers and y pipe but the clamps are not the best.

Speed Engineering do yall plan to change the clamps or offer another type of band? I just hate to spend more money on other clamps.

I think I am going to buy SE headers and tsp y pipe. Open to opinions on this as well.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!