Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody with a bullet catback system on STOCK car, need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody with a bullet catback system on STOCK car, need some opinions.

So, I thought I had my mind made up. I have an '02 SS with stock manifolds, cats and Y pipe. Need to replace my rattling Flowmaster muffler. I was sure I was going to get a Hooker Aerochamber and be done with it. But, I need a little more noise. Before I commit to the Aerochamber, I would like to hear some thoughts on a few systems. I'm trying to stay inexpensive, so my three options are SLP LM2 (LM1 is too raspy), Dynomax bullet catback (don't think it's stainless) and a Magnaflow bullet with custom duals (don't make a catback). I've heard all the videos I can find on youtube and LS1 sounds, but it's hard to find a STOCK car with these. If anybody has had experience, just wondering about rasp, drone and overall sound? Thanks.

*Also, I know GMMG is the ****, but way out of my $ range.*
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly anything with stock manis and cats will not have rasp. Period. I had the hooker catback in every configuration imaginable from stock to LT's/ TSP ORYP. I liked it alot because it was very tame crusing down the interstate until just the slightest hint of throttle the you could tell it was there. WOT was about as loud as a Flowmaster on stock manis and cats. Another good muffler would be the stainless works chambered muffler. I had TD's with them and dayum they sound sweet. they were just a lil too loud turned down under the car for a daily driver though.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on a stock car the loudmouth 1 sounds great , i loved mine when the car was stock , just the more mods you do the worse it gets , trust me the lm1 had a great sound and wasnt bad at all ( car was bone stock, just lid n lm1 at the time)plus ya can get a lm1 pretty cheap used
Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Captain Double Post

duals will always sound better but on a stock car i dont see it being worth it, plus any good true dual setup, ( over the axle) can get pricey, i also had a magnamouth ( lm1 with magnaflow,bullet) i liked that also and helped the sound when more mods came into play , i have had almost every exhaust setup on my car , and im telling ya stock car lm1 is a win
Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

I've been listening to the lm1 and lm2 on the net over the last few days...I'm torn! I like the loudness of the 1, but I like the deep tone of the 2. Some guys say the drone is pretty rough on the lm1. That's what I don't want. I guess it's always an option to swap out the "bullet" with something else right? Magnaflow, Dynomax, Borla, etc.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

i have LM2 and love it. plenty loud on the gas, decent cruising sound. not much drone, tho i did dynamat alot in back. stock car minus lid and spray. and on the spray it sounds fantastic. all stainless and 350 bucks. thats my vote.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

we had a magnaflow bullet in the I pipe all the way to the back. no catback, on a completely stock car. sounded absolutely perfect. it was deep, refined and not crazy loud.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm happy with my LM2. Has a nice deep tone, not obnoxious, but you know it's not stock. I've been told I can be heard going up the road in the morning and that's babying it. It does have a slight drone at 2k rpm, but only if you're climbing a hill or in the gas a bit. The choice is yours, you'll get a lot of different opinions on this.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

+1 for the LM1 only if you plan to keep it stock. If not, spend the extra money on the GMMG. I have the borla adjustable one which is more, cost wise, than the GMMG and I wish I went with it. Do it once and do it right
Old 01-29-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

I had a "dynomouth" 5 or 6 years ago. Sound awesome WOT, but got drone at around low 2000RPM. Definitely happier with Aerochamber now.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for the LM1 on a stock car. I think the key with the LM1 is keeping the cats to keep the rasp out. There is some drone at around 1800 RPM but goes away by 1950 or so and if you have a manual trans you can easily compensate for this. I've had the LM1 for 10+ years and still enjoy it and get tons of compliments on the sound. I'm basically stock too.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

i have stock manifolds, cats, a slp y and lm1 and it sounds really good.

dyno

At the track

If your going to leave the rest stock i recommend the lm1. Sorry not the greatest videos
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for just getting back to this...thanks for the input and posts guys. I'm not sure the LM1 is for me. I want something with a deep tone to it. I've narrowed it down to 4 bullets. The Magnaflow #14419, Dynomax #24219, LM2 #31067 and the Borla XR1 #40085. Thinking of buying the muffler, get it installed and have my local muffler shop fab up the rest of the 3" piping with duals out the back as it is now. Maybe save some $ this way vs. buying a cat back??? Not sure, need to talk with them. Votes on the 4 bullets listed? Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT77
Votes on the 4 bullets listed? Thanks again.
Whichever is cheapest

Also add me to the list of LM1 if running stock manifolds/cats. I had that along with a SLP ypipe and loved it on my '01 Z28. I then went with GMMG on my '00 SS... but swapped back to LM1
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Anybody with a bullet catback system on STOCK car, need some opinions.-image-1407414643.jpg

Anybody with a bullet catback system on STOCK car, need some opinions.-image-2842278439.jpg

That's what I'm running on stock manifolds and stock y with cats.

Loud, and I love it!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

CGT77, Run the Borla right off the y-pipe exit, then just a length of pipe with a turn-down on the exit. Have it end a few inches before the axle tube. You can use a section on the factory I-pipe for this if it's in very good condition, or go with a newsection of 3" SS pipe.
If you want any additional info on setting up the pipe off the muffler and securing it just let me know and I'll pm you the info and some photo's that'll help.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
CGT77, Run the Borla right off the y-pipe exit, then just a length of pipe with a turn-down on the exit. Have it end a few inches before the axle tube. You can use a section on the factory I-pipe for this if it's in very good condition, or go with a newsection of 3" SS pipe.
If you want any additional info on setting up the pipe off the muffler and securing it just let me know and I'll pm you the info and some photo's that'll help.
Thanks for the info and response. I really like the duals look out the back. I want to keep in factory looking, just add a better sound. I like the idea of the turndown to save some cash and I know they sound nice...I will keep it in mind.

Quick Reply: Anybody with a bullet catback system on STOCK car, need some opinions.