Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New A/C compressor >STILL leaks.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New A/C compressor >STILL leaks.

About a week and a half ago my mechanic installed my brand new compressor and today starting it up it had no coolant. When I bought the car I blew the motor and had it replaced with a new block. Put coolant on that and it only lasted a week so the mechanic said it was the compressor. Well I bought a new one until now and this happened. Any idea where else It can leak from? I'm really grinding my gears with this damn car any help is appreciated. It's an 01 SS
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad evaporator?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

The leak could be anywhere where there is a connection. There are o rings at every connection and these are usually the culprit. Check your condenser in front of your radiator for any spots that look moist or oily this would indicate a leak and require replacement of your condenser. To properly find the leak you need a sniffer.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your mechanic should have put some sort of dye in when he recharged your ac to help find any future leaks. Some times it's a UV dye and a black light is needed help see it.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
Your mechanic should have put some sort of dye in when he recharged your ac to help find any future leaks. Some times it's a UV dye and a black light is needed help see it.

This...ask him if he used any dye, If I do any older rigs I almost always use a little dye just in case I get a small leak...it makes for a much faster diagnoses if need be.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Not a fan of using the dye. Thats just personal preference. The only 2 chemicals i want in my ac system is the PAG oil and R134A. I've NEVER had an issue with finding a leak with a refrigerant sniffer. Most people do not have access to one of these sniffers which is why people resort to the dye and blacklight... do what you want thats just my .02.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Teching In

I agree on the dye, lazy mans way. When the new compressor was installed did he pump down the system? After half an hour shut down the pump. The gauge should show no drop in vacuum even after an hour. If the system won't hold vacuum and slowly leaks down it will never work. Even an extremely slow leak means failure.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 AM

There are o rings at every connection and these are usually the culprit.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

Okay well I just got paid today and I was in my way to the shop when my a/c started working again. It was blowing tempered air once more and the condenser was cold and sweaty.
I had tightens the caps in the valve and it slowing started working. This is odd and out of my knowledge. Should I still run the u/v dye
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jamesgr81
I agree on the dye, lazy mans way.
The dye method is a very common method for those who may not be able to see/hear the leak or use a refrigerant sniffer. Other than your personal feelings on the issue, is there a real problem with using dye that makes it not a good choice? I'd be interested in some real world reasons for not using the dye, other than just saying it's "lazy." I hate it when people make what appears to be a very opinionated statement without real reasoning behind it.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

My reasoning behind it is if too much dye is used you run the risk of clogging an orifice tube and/or losing the lubricity of your compressor oil. So instead of gambling with that risk I just use a sniffer. Again this is my personal preference with MY car and I have access to a sniffer so I refuse to use the dye.

I don't like any contaminants in my ac system....I consider the dye a contaminant. Just fresh r134a with none of that so called cooling boost additive crap and the oil is all I want in my system.

Now with all of that said is the dye safe? Probably. Has it been used by millions of shops to find leaks and not caused any issues to customers vehicles? Sure. So OP do what you think is right for you. Forums are very opinionated because every one goes about their vehicles issues differently and when someone does it a different way than others it makes waves and the thread turns useless to you.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Dye, I put that **** on everything.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
Dye, I put that **** on everything.

Amen brutha'...
Old 06-06-2014, 03:06 AM

Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would always buy the PAG oil with the dye in it already. Most def. a believer & user of the dye for years. Best way to find a leak! You usually don't even have to charge it up to find the leak, just inspect w/ black light. Lot's of the new cars are charged from the factory with a dye in it. Also I think it's a really good way of finding a very small leak in say the evaporator. Sniffers do the job also, just different method of diag. Oh, just for info, what is in the A/C system is referred to as refrigerant instead of coolant.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The intermittant operation may be a sign of something other than a leak? Very hard to diag. a car over the net. If it came on & is working again, blowing cold, there is still refrigerant in the system. Maybe try tapping on the pressure sensors with a small screwdriver or something in the A/C lines & KEO compressor to see if it cuts on or off.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Teching In

I have the dye, oil injector and the black light. All new still in boxes. I just never found the need to use it because the sniffer is so damn easy to use. If it turns out there's a leak I can't find than maybe one day I will use the dye.

Like someone said I think of the dye as a contaminant. I sure it's OK but a little more effort and you don't need the damn stuff. Besides, most of the leaks are at the compressor or valve cores, easy to find.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have problems you should bring it back the guy that replaced the compressor. I've seen my share of defective units, new and remans. One never knows.

If you have to look for leaks and you can't borrow an electronic sniffer, a shot of dye and an LED UV flash light is the way to go. Cheap and easy. Common places for leaks: the compressor shaft seal, all connections, the condenser, Schrader, etc.

* For those with the factory fill that are concerned about adding dye. There's probably already uv dye in there, my 02 z28 had it.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 AM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brand New A/C compressor >STILL leaks.