Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:40 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I got confirmation that the LS7 intakes have already shipped to their suppliers, and the ls1/2/6 intakes are about 10 days to 2 weeks from doing the same. Once they get to the suppliers, then people will get them.
Why haven't the "suppliers" (I take it the sponsors) said anything yet?

I also find it odd that the LS3 is going to be the last to be delivered considering that motor is current and more abundant in the market.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Why haven't the "suppliers" (I take it the sponsors) said anything yet?

I also find it odd that the LS3 is going to be the last to be delivered considering that motor is current and more abundant in the market.
What do you want them to say? I haven't seen any of them talk about them here yet, so they are probably waiting to get their hands on them first, test the intakes themselves, see what they can do, then you'll see them push them.

Fast that they 'debuted' them in November at SEMA, and will be bringing them to the market in the spring is a pretty short time frame, but we're all just really impatient.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:09 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Because you think SOMEONE would have said "hey guys we've got them coming in xx days" and that hasn't happened. At all. Not a peep.

MSD has completely dropped the ball on this if you ask me. Whoever is in charge of advertising and "stoking the flames" to try to generate SOME kind of interest needs to be shown the door. They've done absolutely nothing to drum up any interest.

I'm sorry man. It just completely turns me off. Lord knows when you talk to anyone there the personality you speak with has no enthusiasm about the product and is as dry as a crouton.

Makes me wonder how the tech support line will be if you ever have an issue.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would of at least thought they would be blowing up this product on Facebook. Especially since you can shop online via Facebook. It's free marketing...

Maybe the numbers aren't what they expected?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Because you think SOMEONE would have said "hey guys we've got them coming in xx days" and that hasn't happened. At all. Not a peep.

MSD has completely dropped the ball on this if you ask me. Whoever is in charge of advertising and "stoking the flames" to try to generate SOME kind of interest needs to be shown the door. They've done absolutely nothing to drum up any interest.

I'm sorry man. It just completely turns me off. Lord knows when you talk to anyone there the personality you speak with has no enthusiasm about the product and is as dry as a crouton.

Makes me wonder how the tech support line will be if you ever have an issue.

Well, I can't speak for their marketing or customer service teams... but I'd rather a company not say anything when it's not available yet, then pimp the hell out of it and you can't get it. It will be interesting to see what happens once the dealers get their hands on it and it starts hitting the consumers cars. Hopefully it lives up to the expectations I have of it. Heck, I've already gotten a deposit on my FAST 90mm, so once I do my writeup on the MSD, the FAST will be gone. I'm hoping I don't regret that, but from everything I've been led to believe, I think I'll be very happy.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, I can't speak for their marketing or customer service teams... but I'd rather a company not say anything when it's not available yet, then pimp the hell out of it and you can't get it. It will be interesting to see what happens once the dealers get their hands on it and it starts hitting the consumers cars. Hopefully it lives up to the expectations I have of it. Heck, I've already gotten a deposit on my FAST 90mm, so once I do my writeup on the MSD, the FAST will be gone. I'm hoping I don't regret that, but from everything I've been led to believe, I think I'll be very happy.
Well if anything, if it somehow DOESNT meet expectations, you can always go to a medium runner Fast 102.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:01 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well if anything, if it somehow DOESNT meet expectations, you can always go to a medium runner Fast 102.
That would be my plan since I'm sure I'll have plenty of low end torque.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked a FAST rep earlier this week when they'd be released. They said summer time. That's a three month timeframe. I've already got a 102 and will go with whichever manifold makes the most power.

I agree with us being impatient but it's been a few months since these were being shown and they had a product on display at the shows so I don't think we're being unreasonable at this point.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 131 Posts

I think FAST,MSD, & VARARAM are all playing "CHICKEN" and not wanting to
Release First. ... But then I believe in Conspiracies LOL!
Old 03-14-2015, 03:30 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Well, Vararam has a video out showing independent testing from SAM at least

I personal still think the jury is out on it fitting the FBody. I think once the desire is shown they'll make one that fits if it doesn't already.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great news. I'm dying to see what kind of gains cathedral port strokers will have on the dyno and at the track.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

To be fair, Lingenfelter did do testing on the MSD intake, and it seems as though MSD just put up the money to have it developed and contracted some top names in the industry to develop it.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fwiw... bangshift did a 48 hour corvette build.. I noticed the valve covers said lingenfelter and it's got the intake on it.. could this be the test motor??? Lol

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/c...y-do-it-again/
Old 03-15-2015, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It did seem odd that MSD had the expertise to develop this intake but it really doesn't matter to me. I really thought the FAST was as good as it could be other than their truck intake which is not an option due to it's height.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wish, like all others here, that there were answers at the very least.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a FAST intake, but I'd hate to spend the money on a FAST now only to find out for the same price, you can get another 10hp with that intake.

Also, what really impressed me after just watching their press video, is how sturdy the intake looks. I've heard the FAST intakes are a bit flimsy, but the MSD looks very sturdy. Plus, the intake has nice looking gaskets around the ports, which looks like it'll make vacuum leaks impossible on it.

I do like the FAST style a little more, and its reputation over the years makes it seem like a no-brainer, but this MSD intake does still have some appeal.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I just wish, like all others here, that there were answers at the very least.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a FAST intake, but I'd hate to spend the money on a FAST now only to find out for the same price, you can get another 10hp with that intake.

Also, what really impressed me after just watching their press video, is how sturdy the intake looks. I've heard the FAST intakes are a bit flimsy, but the MSD looks very sturdy. Plus, the intake has nice looking gaskets around the ports, which looks like it'll make vacuum leaks impossible on it.

I do like the FAST style a little more, and its reputation over the years makes it seem like a no-brainer, but this MSD intake does still have some appeal.
I will say this, the MSD did feel more solid to me than my FAST does, but the test will be how it deals with 15-20psi of boost.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm excited to finally see what this thing will do. However as far as build quality between the 2 goes The fast 102 is light years better than a 90/92. The assembly is about 5 lbs heavier which is a lot when talking plastic. The base of a 92 will flex with a push of the hand....no way that's happening to a 102. Porting my buddies 92 I was really scared of punching a hole in it. The 102 I took a Dremel to for hours and never worried. I haven't held an msd but the 102 fast is good for big boost and is much stronger than the older ones.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure the quality of the MSD intake will be just as good or better than the FAST. MSD had the advantage of there already being a premium LSx intake on the market that they could pull info from and work on bettering an already great intake. Like I've been saying over and over in this thread, MSD didn't go into this venture to be equal with FAST; they did all of this to put out a better product that will yield better results across the board. I'm glad it looks like this is finally goint to happen and we are about to have a tangible product to see and feel and do our own independent testing with.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

It was like Christmas when I got home from work today.... I didn't expect it, but this was waiting for me:

It looks great, feels really solid, and I like that it's bolted top to bottom in the middle with 3 bolts, so I have no concerns about it holding boost.

Take a look at the bottom of the intake, they made certain it would fit over the factory valley cover bolts.... nice touch. Look at all that reinforcement... this intake is solid.

I'm going out of town tomorrow morning, and won't be back till Monday night, but I'll be doing a writeup about it as soon as I get back.
Attached Thumbnails New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce-20150326_161652.jpg   New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce-20150326_162112.jpg   New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce-20150326_162240.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Unicorns DO exist...

Quick Reply: New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce