Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air check valve mod really eliminate valve flutter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air check valve mod really eliminate valve flutter?

I just installed LT's, and im sure the ticking noise im getting is valve flutter. How effective is the the air check valve mod to stop valve flutter?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldnt bother with the "restrictor" mod. I tried it and the noise was the same afterwards. Then I just decided to live with it. That was while ago.

Then when everybody started posting about removing AIR tubes and using block off plates, I though I would try that.

The noise is gone!! What a relief. I just can't believe I lived with it for so long.... like 3 years or something. Anyway, it's such a joy now without that noise.

Good luck
Old 05-26-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fastt Gunn
I wouldnt bother with the "restrictor" mod. I tried it and the noise was the same afterwards. Then I just decided to live with it. That was while ago.

Then when everybody started posting about removing AIR tubes and using block off plates, I though I would try that.

The noise is gone!! What a relief. I just can't believe I lived with it for so long.... like 3 years or something. Anyway, it's such a joy now without that noise.

Good luck
could you be more specific on exactly what you removed and how?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:15 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
check under emisssions in the exhaust guide
Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Good luck
you're right, I did the restrictor mod and the noise didn't change. Anyhow, doesnt eliminiating the AIR system have a direct negative effect on the catalytic converters?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro SS 2002
you're right, I did the restrictor mod and the noise didn't change. Anyhow, doesnt eliminiating the AIR system have a direct negative effect on the catalytic converters?

The AIR system is intended to help the converters "light off" quickly. Without the extra oxygen introduced by the AIR system the catalytic converters could become fouled and you will have increased cold start emissions.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Restrictor mod cured my flutter issue. Then about a year later I cured the whole AIR system
Old 05-27-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

My check valves are good, I did the restrictor mod, and there is stick a loud ticking noise upon accelaration! WTF can be the problem? If I knew my exhaust would tick like this I would have never added LT's. Please help...
Old 05-27-2004, 01:25 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on how strict your local emissions testing is, you can completely eliminate the air tubes in the engine bay without completely removing the pump and it won't set off a light. Just pull the tubes out, and leave the air pump connected. Plug up your AIR fittings on the headers themselves, and whola....Cleaner engine bay and no flutter

Man, AIR crap....I think I pulled that junk off 3 yrs ago
Old 05-27-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Damian
Depending on how strict your local emissions testing is, you can completely eliminate the air tubes in the engine bay without completely removing the pump and it won't set off a light. Just pull the tubes out, and leave the air pump connected. Plug up your AIR fittings on the headers themselves, and whola....Cleaner engine bay and no flutter

Man, AIR crap....I think I pulled that junk off 3 yrs ago
I HAVE to keep my cats for emissions and law purposes. I've been contemplating eliminating the AIR tubes, but wont that screw with my high flow cats? I paid a pretty penny for my catted Y pipe.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:54 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

I HAVE to keep my cats for emissions and law purposes. I've been contemplating eliminating the AIR tubes, but wont that screw with my high flow cats? I paid a pretty penny for my catted Y pipe.
i ran !air and carsound cats with nary a problem. the problem started when i added the tr230 w/o tune and ran so rich i ****** melted my cat . how are you getting around emissions anyway. i figure if your running LT's, !air shouldnt be that much worse.

also have you ruled out an exhaust leak?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrp
i figure if your running LT's, !air shouldnt be that much worse.

also have you ruled out an exhaust leak?
I'm not worried about passing smog, I have that covered. I just don't want to drive around with no cats and get pulled over. My main concern with eliminating AIR is effecting the cats, but you said you didn't have a problem. I had a LS1 "specialty" shop with a GOOD reputation install my LT's, so im clueless about where an exhaust leak can come from? I guess maybe I should call them, or you can give me some ideas.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:23 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

I'm not worried about passing smog, I have that covered. I just don't want to drive around with no cats and get pulled over. My main concern with eliminating AIR is effecting the cats, but you said you didn't have a problem. I had a LS1 "specialty" shop with a GOOD reputation install my LT's, so im clueless about where an exhaust leak can come from? I guess maybe I should call them, or you can give me some ideas.
exhaust leaks can come from any of the flanges or header gaskets. honestly i say just !air and be done with it. the air system helps preheat the cats on start up for emissions but as you no cali doesnt really get cold enough where the air system really needs to preheat the cats all that much.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

There's a bunch of info on how to in here. I printed a step by step on that and EGR removal. It was super easy.

Funny thing about mine.... I only removed the tubes to the headers. I left the pump operational. The computer still knew something was wrong because the next day the light camo on!! I didnt expect that. Im gonna disconnect the pump too soon though. It sounds like crap in the morning.

I have FLP LT's and Y. I run the "Test Pipes". So the AIR is useless for me. Although last year when I went for inspection, I put the cats back in before I went. I was afraid they'd check. They never even looked!! I could have went without them. I will next year
Old 05-27-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

is this how you remove the AIR and EGR systems?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's a bunch of info on how to in here. I printed a step by step on that and EGR removal. It was super easy.

Funny thing about mine.... I only removed the tubes to the headers. I left the pump operational. The computer still knew something was wrong because the next day the light camo on!! I didnt expect that. Im gonna disconnect the pump too soon though. It sounds like crap in the morning.

I have FLP LT's and Y. I run the "Test Pipes". So the AIR is useless for me. Although last year when I went for inspection, I put the cats back in before I went. I was afraid they'd check. They never even looked!! I could have went without them. I will next year

I got the light too. Gotta have someone delete this **** off my computer. But it does sound so much better.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, Freaky... thats exactly what I used to do it
Old 05-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slik98z
I got the light too. Gotta have someone delete this **** off my computer. But it does sound so much better.
I do Heads and Cam next week!!

When they do the re-tune, Im getting the AIR and EGR codes permanently deleted
Old 05-27-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrp
exhaust leaks can come from any of the flanges or header gaskets. honestly i say just !air and be done with it. the air system helps preheat the cats on start up for emissions but as you no cali doesnt really get cold enough where the air system really needs to preheat the cats all that much.
My mechanic double checked for exhaust leaks and he says there is none. I did the air restrictor mod and it did no good, still ticking. My air check valves are good too. Im going to take your advice and have the AIR system deleted via LS1 EDIT. I can't stand the damn ticking! One question, once AIR is deleted by LS1 EDIT can it ever be restored, just curious?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Just Checking here: You do know you're going to get a little more noise from under the hood with headers?

You can actually hear some of the exhaust pulses through a header that would have been muted by your thick iron manifolds.

This often sounds like a tick.

I just hate to see you pulling your hair out thinking this is something it might not be.

good luck

Quick Reply: Air check valve mod really eliminate valve flutter?