Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman ls6 intake 615-900

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Sorry for the crappy iphone pic. For some reason it will only let me upload one pic at a time from my phone, so here is the ported side. Out of the box the lip measures 2 mm thick. After ported, it measures close to 1/3 of a mm. It's somewhat sharp to the touch. I think I'll stop here and try to match the other side. Once I do that, I'll make sure it's the same all the way back and smooth it out a little more.
That's disappointing that there is not more meat at the mouth . So where is going to finish measurement wise, going to be 76 mm ?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it wasn't for the damn gasket limiting so much space this thing could really perform. It's still a quality piece though. I think it's realistic to expect near stock or maybe lightly touched up Fast 78 numbers once it's been worked over. Anyway, I just finished the outer part all the way around and it measures an even 78 mm. There is still work to be done opening it up further back but that will have to wait until tomorrow. My hands are cramping lol a stock ported tb measures 78 mm so at least there will be a smooth transition, even if if bottle necks down a touch toward the inner part. Better than hitting a wall like it would at the stock 74 mm. I'm afraid of hitting a random little pocket somewhere in the neck, but we'll see how much further I can take it safely. Will post up more pics as I progress.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it wasn't for the damn gasket limiting so much space this thing could really perform. It's still a quality piece though. I think it's realistic to expect near stock or maybe lightly touched up Fast 78 numbers once it's been worked over. Anyway, I just finished the outer part all the way around and it measures an even 78 mm. There is still work to be done opening it up further back but that will have to wait until tomorrow. My hands are cramping lol a stock ported tb measures 78 mm so at least there will be a smooth transition, even if if bottle necks down a touch toward the inner part. Better than hitting a wall like it would at the stock 74 mm. I'm afraid of hitting a random little pocket somewhere in the neck, but we'll see how much further I can take it safely. Will post up more pics as I progress.
This is good to hear!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MMorgan9812
This is good to hear!
I say all of this solely based on pics, just to clarify. I've never held a fast in my hands. Their top shell is superior. But I think opening up the tb and working over the bottom shell on this Dorman piece will bring it close to par with a stock Fast 78. The only thing that keeps me from saying that with more certainty is the area where the top shell meets the bottom. The fast runners extend further out towards the injectors than this one. And when you flip it over and look in from the bottom, there is a lot of the bottom shell that isn't being taken advantage of due to the big hump where the two shells meet. This will not be completely removeable, if at all. There's simply not enough material there. In the attached pic, the wedge that I'll be removing is on the top right and the problem area is at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Dorman ls6 intake 615-900-image.jpg  

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 02-13-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy an inner tube for a tire or tractor. Cut your own gasket. You could hog the opening to a legit 90mm if you wanted to at that point. It's easy.

As for the shells, they're sonic welded. According to Mike, the manager in charge of the Dorman intake, it's easily removable by just cutting right where it's welded.

When you're done just epoxy it back together and be on your way.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Ehh, I'll let someone far more talented than myself be the guinea pig on that one, doc!

As for the tb size, I was able to get a look with a light and mirror from the backside. There is a little pocket on the inside of the tb opening at about 4 o'clock. Truthfully, even if I said screw the gasket, I'd be afraid to take it much past 80 mm. I may be over analyzing that, but I can't feel where it ends and I'd rather not find out the hard way.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:35 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe Mine will just send me one to work with. I'd have fun doing it and take a ton of pics along the way... And I've got an LS6 on the car anyway to post side by side pics with.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Launching!

They should have done so when we were all discussing it in the other thread! Definitely could have got more people on board sooner had you been able to verify if it has potential. Mine will be going on a h/c lq9 so we'll see how it does. I won't have any sort of comparison between my finished piece and a stock one or any other intake, but hopefully the results will give us a glimpse of its capability. Have you heard anything from them about the ls2 replacement?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

They should have done so when we were all discussing it in the other thread! Definitely could have got more people on board sooner had you been able to verify if it has potential. Mine will be going on a h/c lq9 so we'll see how it does. I won't have any sort of comparison between my finished piece and a stock one or any other intake, but hopefully the results will give us a glimpse of its capability. Have you heard anything from them about the ls2 replacement?
Now if they would do a LS2 and base it on the Fast 92 that would be real interesting. That would blow the roof off , and cause some real chaos.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by omc8
Now if they would do a LS2 and base it on the Fast 92 that would be real interesting. That would blow the roof off , and cause some real chaos.
I posted in the other thread and gave my opinion on what could be their LS2 replacement, and why it'd sell like hot cakes. We can only hope it becomes a reality. If it does, this place will definitely be a mad house lol agreed on that!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

well i just ordered mine so hopefully get it here soon, i plan on cleaning it up some but im not gunna be pushing it to the limit like some of yall that are N/A cause i need this to handle some boost lol, ill probably just do a lot of clean up more then porting but should still help imo, this threads got me feeling a lot better about it and ill go as far as excited to be one of the few testing this thing out lol, especially on boost
Old 02-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Launching!

We've got a few people bolting it onto stock and bolt on builds. I'll be throwing it on a heads/cam LQ9. And you're doing boost. So we should get an idea of how it is from every angle lol I just picked mine up again to do a little more.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Subscribed.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Here's the finished throttle body. Hand sanded. 78mm out front and very similar all the way back. Finest I've used thus far is 400 grit. I still have to get a sheet of 1000 grit to put the finishing touch on it. However, there's about a 100% chance I'll pick it up tomorrow, find something I'm not satisfied with, and then spend a little more time straightening the throat.

Its a crappy picture, but I measured to show it opened up to 78 mm. Bear in mind that the throat originally had a lip the same thickness as all the others you see there. Ignore the shitty part at the gap on the top right. I was watching Vikings at the same time and lost track of how long I had been in the same spot lol it's ugly and uneven, although the pic makes it look worse than it is. Shouldn't hurt actual performance I wouldn't think.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 02-18-2015 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see you have 78 mm at the opening . but what measurement do you have inside diameter farther back in the the throat ? What is your guess, do you think a Fast 78 upper shell will mate to the dorman lower.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Launching!

I don't have anything to measure the inner part with so I've just been straightening it by feel. The picture is deceiving in how much smaller it makes the inner part look. Ill probably wind up working it a little more today.

Edit: as soon as I picked it up today I was unsatisfied, as expected. I'm about halfway done with round 2 of straightening the throat. The amount of time I spent on it yesterday must have clouded my senses because there is a lot I missed. And I have no idea if it'd mount up, having never held a Fast in my hands, much less seen one in pieces. I guess it depends on if Dorman modified the inner part to work with their top, primarily the area where the rope gasket would go between shells on a Fast.

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 02-18-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have anything to measure the https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lock.htmlinner part with so I've just been straightening it by feel. The picture is deceiving in how much smaller it makes the inner part look. Ill probably wind up working it a little more today.

Edit: as soon as I picked it up today I was unsatisfied, as expected. I'm about halfway done with round 2 of straightening the throat. The amount of time I spent on it yesterday must have clouded my senses because there is a lot I missed. And I have no idea if it'd mount up, having never held a Fast in my hands, much less seen one in pieces. I guess it depends on if Dorman modified the inner part to work with their top, primarily the area where the rope gasket would go between shells on a Fast.
I went back and read your posts in the other thread ..... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ake-block.html
There were a lot of my questions answered there , and a lot good input on this thing. Its really surprising all the buzz this intake is getting with all the other new intakes flooding the market like the Speedmaster Qualifier , Holley 300-111 and the ebay sheetmetal intake. The truck intake I ported has over 40 hours in it and still not finished yet.

Last edited by omc8; 02-18-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Launching!

That definitely makes me feel better about having so much time wrapped up in this one lol. But with that sort of attention to detail, we can both safely assume we'll be satisfied with our results! i wanted to hold out for the ls2 replacement. If I knew they'd build it like we want, I would have. But I got impatient. I hope we can get this thing to perform, so those unwilling to pay 800+ bucks still have a decent upgrade option.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Anyone who buys one of these, check right behind the throttle body at about 4:30. This little guy was down in a groove that was filled with plastic I had sanded off. When I wiped it out this came with it. Looks to be part of the rope gasket that goes between shells, like on the Fast. Must have got mashed off when the thing was assembled. I said all that to say... You probably don't want that going through your motor so check and make sure yours either doesn't have it or you get it out before installing.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (09-03-2023)
Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone who buys one of these, check right behind the throttle body at about 4:30. This little guy was down in a groove that was filled with plastic I had sanded off. When I wiped it out this came with it. Looks to be part of the rope gasket that goes between shells, like on the Fast. Must have got mashed off when the thing was assembled. I said all that to say... You probably don't want that going through your motor so check and make sure yours either doesn't have it or you get it out before installing.
You don't have a picture of that 4 o'clock area do you ? Check your inbox you have a new message .

Quick Reply: Dorman ls6 intake 615-900