Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search "Fbody Nation (Fbody Craigslist and Trading Post)". A guy just put up his clean Camaro for sale and he did it, I asked for more pics.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a closed group, and I just clicked to join... hopefully when I get in, I'll save the pic and upload it here for others to see.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
It's a closed group, and I just clicked to join... hopefully when I get in, I'll save the pic and upload it here for others to see.

Thanks.
He hasn't posted one yet otherwise I would have uploaded. Just some basic under carriage shots. Best one so far:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust-cx5wm35.jpg
Old 10-18-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooker already posted themselves earlier in the thread that any competent exhaust person should be able to make the necessary modification to mate this up to LT's
Old 10-18-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
Hooker already posted themselves earlier in the thread that any competent exhaust person should be able to make the necessary modification to mate this up to LT's
We know. It's always nice to see pics tho.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to pick up my car from my brother later on. He was supposed to finish the rest of the exhaust while I'm at school. Can't wait!
Old 10-19-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didnt read thru all 19pgs but has anyone did any testing if this system is better then a 3inch or 3.5inch single y-pipe setup?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
i didnt read thru all 19pgs but has anyone did any testing if this system is better then a 3inch or 3.5inch single y-pipe setup?
Yes

And this system should be adequate up to 600ish rwhp before needing larger pipes
Old 10-20-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Looking at it from a cross sectional area perspective, yes. The smallest cross sectional area is where the pipes converge at the x and it's still greater there than the area that a 3 or 3.5" ypipe converges into a single pipe. Adding scavenging to the equation, it should further improve over most ypipe setups.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The cross-section of each set-up is as follows:

Single 3" tube= 7.06 sq. in.
Single 3.5" tube= 9.62 sq. in.
Dual 2.5" tubes= 9.81 sq. in.

The dual 2.5" with a crossover will provide the most flow potential out of the three.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
Yes

And this system should be adequate up to 600ish rwhp before needing larger pipes
Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
Looking at it from a cross sectional area perspective, yes. The smallest cross sectional area is where the pipes converge at the x and it's still greater there than the area that a 3 or 3.5" ypipe converges into a single pipe. Adding scavenging to the equation, it should further improve over most ypipe setups.
Originally Posted by Toddoky
The cross-section of each set-up is as follows:

Single 3" tube= 7.06 sq. in.
Single 3.5" tube= 9.62 sq. in.
Dual 2.5" tubes= 9.81 sq. in.

The dual 2.5" with a crossover will provide the most flow potential out of the three.
Thanks.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I'm getting in late on this thread and on the topic (I just spent probably over an hour reading through all of it) but I wanted to provide some input.

I completely understand what you are trying to do with this setup and your target consumers and I understand that the target consumer is the minority. I am one of those few people that care more about having a system that does not have any rasp, does not drone like 90% of the other options for these cars, isn't too loud, has a good tone and cares about clearance. Basically I don't put up with any rasp or drone at all. And again, I know I'm the minority here but I don't understand how anybody can put up with a dumped exhaust system.

That being said I really wish that you guys came out with this a year ago before I installed my system. I would have taken this over my current catback.

However, I am interested in your mid length headers as I live in California and try to keep my car as close to smog legal as possible. If you guys came out with evidence of a decent power gain with the 50 state legal system (so obviously attached to stock cats) I would buy those mids in a heartbeat.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
Yes

I would be curious where this information came from? The consensus throughout this thread is that on a decent H/C setup (nowhere near 600) this setup will make less power than the comparable Kooks 3" system.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I would be curious where this information came from? The consensus throughout this thread is that on a decent H/C setup (nowhere near 600) this setup will make less power than the comparable Kooks 3" system.
Yes, one must be reasonable in their expectations when running a dual 2.5" system on a 4th-gen making higher HP numbers. Expecting the Hooker dual system to provide optimized flow for a 600HP engine would be just as unrealistic as expecting the Kooks system to provide optimized flow for the 1200 HP they advertise it to. I would personally use the Hooker dual system on any car making up to 475 flywheel HP and expect better overall performance and reduced interior noise than all the 3.5" and smaller single pipe systems out there. This system is not designed to be competitive with the Kooks system power-wise on cars that actually need the flow potential that a dual 3" system can provide. If you care to factor ground clearance, interior noise level, 50-state legality(on certain Hooker part numbers) and cost into the equation then it does become a more competitive comparison.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I meant to say with 1 7/8" longtubes. I imagine at higher power levels the mid length headers would be a bottleneck before the true dual system.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Now at 6 weeks on the wait, still no word. Vendor is either not getting communication from Hooker or doesn't care. I don't believe it's the vendor's fault, sooo...

Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Now at 6 weeks on the wait, still no word. Vendor is either not getting communication from Hooker or doesn't care. I don't believe it's the vendor's fault, sooo...

You just reminded me that I forgot to get back to you. I apologize for that; SEMA show preparation has had everyone in the engineering dept. running off the rails the last week or so. It's not the vendor's fault as the only notification they will get is when the item gets shipped. The SEMA-bound truck left today, so I'm freed up now to be able to look into in for you tomorrow. Send me a PM with your name and who you ordered it from.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you care to factor ground clearance, interior noise level, and cost into the equation then it does become a more competitive comparison.
And so goes the quandary myself, and I'm sure a lot of other people find themselves in. My car is lowered so I would love the added clearance, and the cost savings can't be overlooked......but even though my car isn't a max effort track car, I would always wonder how much I was leaving on the table.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

And so goes the quandary myself, and I'm sure a lot of other people find themselves in. My car is lowered so I would love the added clearance, and the cost savings can't be overlooked......but even though my car isn't a max effort track car, I would always wonder how much I was leaving on the table.
It's really a question that one can only answer for themself since nobody else knows what the most important characteristics/ considerations are to each individual. At the stage I'm at in my life (wife, kids and other interests) I'm not spending $2,000 on an exhaust system for any car I drive...period. Some guys will lay out that kind of cash, but that's not who the Hooker system is targeted towards and it shows in the 50% price differential.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

You just reminded me that I forgot to get back to you. I apologize for that; SEMA show preparation has had everyone in the engineering dept. running off the rails the last week or so. It's not the vendor's fault as the only notification they will get is when the item gets shipped. The SEMA-bound truck left today, so I'm freed up now to be able to look into in for you tomorrow. Send me a PM with your name and who you ordered it from.
PM sent, thank you.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust