Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N oil filter failure...beware

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Oil change guy used the nut to tighten the new filter. Over tightened and caused a case failure. How is this kns fault?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Oil change guy used the nut to tighten the new filter. Over tightened and caused a case failure. How is this kns fault?
Negative....oil change guy is a 20+ year GM tech I know personally who's familiar with K&N filters and drives a 3rd gen TA himself. He's the only guy who touches my car other than myself. It was hand tightened on just like any other filter...there's no need to use a nut to tighten the filter on a 4th gen LS1, it's easy to tighten by hand. Not to mention it didn't leak at all for 2 weeks 400-500 miles until it got real cold.

Look up all the recent negative reviews on amazon about their wrench off filters! You will see quality hit the skids recently and lots of other people have issues with the leaking nuts and gasket issues. Some have caused engine failures due to this. I'm not going to risk my engine or starting an oil fire using their POS. Feel free to do so if you wish!

Regardless, other filers don't have leaky nut ()issues and are 3 times cheaper.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said previously, throw a Wix 51522 in it and call it a day. I've yet to hear a bad thing about them and have been using them for a while.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Add MP to the end of you wix filter number then internet search it. This is a non retail mechanics pack of 12 filters at a significant discount of retail. I keep a case on the shelf in the shop.
I've got a case for both of my cars and the filters are made in the US. The singles I've bought previously were made in Mexico.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Must have missed the picture of the failed welds....
Old 01-15-2016, 07:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Moved to external.

Let's keep this going but keep it nice!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Purolator is like Fram. They have some decent filters but the vast majority they make and sell are pretty poor.

It's certainly easier to find a better filter for just a few bucks more. I believe all retailers carry Mobil1, which will do very well.

Do you have a actual explanation why you think that about Purolator because I don't think they are poor at all. Honestly that's all iv been using for the past couple years. This guy thinks they are good... http://minimopar.net/oilfilters/refe...html#l30001-99
Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

From things I've seen and done, experianced and learned over the years and many oil filters opened up, my opinion is that Purolator filters are so-so. I know they have decent filters as well as lousy ones.

In discussions of high performance use or "high end" filters, Purolator is usually not mentioned.

I will say this: Filters that have a rope/string around the filter media (such as most Purolator) have been known to slice through the media and allow unfiltered oil to sneak through. Filter media can expand and contract during use and the string stays one diameter. Some Motorcraft and Bosch filters are similar using this rope, no doubt made by Purolator.

The discussion in the link you provided even mentioned one new filter had damage from the string. Over time and use, this damage becomes a breach in the filter media.

If you've had good luck and are happy using Purolator filters, by all means continue to use it.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

From things I've seen and done, experianced and learned over the years and many oil filters opened up, my opinion is that Purolator filters are so-so. I know they have decent filters as well as lousy ones.

In discussions of high performance use or "high end" filters, Purolator is usually not mentioned.

I will say this: Filters that have a rope/string around the filter media (such as most Purolator) have been known to slice through the media and allow unfiltered oil to sneak through. Filter media can expand and contract during use and the string stays one diameter. Some Motorcraft and Bosch filters are similar using this rope, no doubt made by Purolator.

The discussion in the link you provided even mentioned one new filter had damage from the string. Over time and use, this damage becomes a breach in the filter media.

If you've had good luck and are happy using Purolator filters, by all means continue to use it.

Yes I did read that too about the string. I usually get the Bosch its at the same place I get the oil. Never any problems but if I can do better I might as well order wix.

I also read that the k@n and mobile 1 are the same filter made by Champion Labs. Those two filters are the best Champ puts out they are of the Performance design. Looking at the other Champion labs filters I guess you could say most filters they put out are not very good either. If I was someone who usually picked up a k@n or mobile 1 filter I would have to confirm it was of the 1999-2008 Performance design and not the 2008 Ecore design. You never know when companies change things up.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
You never know when companies change things up.
Very true.

A friend of mine is a Wix rep and I have a little inside track on the Wix lines. I do feel most comfortable using Wix, the XP line is my usual filter.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the gto forum linked by the op there was talk of changing your filter every second oil change... anyone here do this? I've never heard of that before.

Some guy mentioned how it wasn't a bad idea...

That is actually a good idea. Do you think the filter is even remotely clogged in 3k miles? In fact an oil filter does a better job and reaches peak filtering efficiency when it is about 30% into its filtering life span. A filter on an engine without mechanical problems can last up to 12k mi. easily. He is doing his motor and wallet a favor.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:04 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I would think that as a filter is used, it's filter media catches dirt and it's efficiency, or flow rate starts to get reduced.

I don't think it filters more or has more flow as it moves through it's life cycle.

Like somebody else said, a decent filter isn't expensive. Why in the world would you NOT change the filter with the oil or not attempt to get the best filter you can for just a few bucks more?
Old 01-16-2016, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Used K&N filters for years never had a problem, except for the one time after an oil change I got the o2 extension trapped between the filter & housing & didn't notice! started car left the street & it spewed oil all over the road!
Luckily the engine was fine but had to be towed home with very little oil left. Learned my lesson to check it every change now!
Old 01-16-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
I always wondered why you would even need a nut to loosen a filter. I install all mine by tightening by hand, always remove with my hand, no wrenches or anything.
Lots of people do not know to clean filter contact area, fill new filter with oil,(if possible) then lube filter seal with clean oil then install.
If you install filter without oil on the seal it is very hard to remove.
I can not tell you how many "seasoned" mechanics still practice installing
filter dry
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...K&N oil filters are no longer made in the USA by Champion labs...at least I remember reading that recently. Production moved to Mexico and Korea sometime around 2013. I was doing research because I had a K&N sealing gasket failure on my 2015 V6 Equinox. Everything was fine when I first put the filter on and started it up. Went inside for a few hours and then went out to move my Equinox and it started spewing oil everywhere. It was on tightly too, but I did NOT use the nut to tighten it. Will never use K&N in my Equinox again.

I also have a slight leak around the K&N filter on my Z28 at the moment. It's not spewing, but definitely leaking somewhere. I ordered a new oil cooler bypass gasket for the fitting above the filter thinking that might be the culprit, so I'll know more once I put it up and change it...

I've been using the K&N HP-1007 on my Z28 for years, but if my current leaks turns out to be the filter, I'll be done with them too...
Old 01-17-2016, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
...K&N oil filters are no longer made in the USA by Champion labs...at least I remember reading that recently. Production moved to Mexico and Korea sometime around 2013. I was doing research because I had a K&N sealing gasket failure on my 2015 V6 Equinox. Everything was fine when I first put the filter on and started it up. Went inside for a few hours and then went out to move my Equinox and it started spewing oil everywhere. It was on tightly too, but I did NOT use the nut to tighten it. Will never use K&N in my Equinox again.

I also have a slight leak around the K&N filter on my Z28 at the moment. It's not spewing, but definitely leaking somewhere. I ordered a new oil cooler bypass gasket for the fitting above the filter thinking that might be the culprit, so I'll know more once I put it up and change it...

I've been using the K&N HP-1007 on my Z28 for years, but if my current leaks turns out to be the filter, I'll be done with them too...

See that's what I'm talking about. Thinking we know who makes what filter according to independent tests and such then later down the road the company changes filter styles. Such a PITA to have to check and confirm what filter we are buying everytime. The pains us car guys go through?

Cant blaim ya there I wouldn't wanna use it either. Thanks for the info. Through your research were you able to find that k@n info you can post here?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

I found this on another forum, but still looking for more...

http://www.gmforum.com/lounge-99/k-n...issues-308331/

"The K&N oil filters WERE made by Champion. Some industry info to pass along. UCI, who owns Champion Labs and Honeywell consumer products(Fram) were bought by a private company called The Rank group. This company merged the filter operations of Fram and Champion together and there were plant closings on the Fram end.

Since the merger/ buyout of Champion and Fram, K&N has contracted out the supply of their oil filters from Champion. The first vendor was in Mexico, then they moved to a Korean manufacturer, and now a Chinese manufacturer.

Reports are the internal quality of K&N oil filters are of very poor quality."
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

These are the 2 main posts that got my attention about K&N quskity recently:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267533

And

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3101379&page=2
Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

K&N being made in Asia not performing like they used to, Mobil1 & Royal Purple being made by Fram.....

All this Tom-foolery going on with who makes what oil filter in the cheapest country on the cheapest low bid manufacturing line causes me to reassert that Wix filters are probably the best to use. Known quality and parts and build consistency.

For what it's worth, Amsoil is made by Wix and I believe Hastings and Baldwin are US made.

I used to use Fleetguard filters until I received offshore made versions that didn't have the correct innards.

My advice for filters: Choose a Wix XP filter for your vehicles and buy them in pairs (or more) on the internet, I've found rockauto and Amazon to have good pricing. I've yet to find a store that has Wix XP filters on the shelf.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

K&N being made in Asia not performing like they used to, Mobil1 & Royal Purple being made by Fram.....

All this Tom-foolery going on with who makes what oil filter in the cheapest country on the cheapest low bid manufacturing line causes me to reassert that Wix filters are probably the best to use. Known quality and parts and build consistency.

For what it's worth, Amsoil is made by Wix and I believe Hastings and Baldwin are US made.

I used to use Fleetguard filters until I received offshore made versions that didn't have the correct innards.

My advice for filters: Choose a Wix XP filter for your vehicles and buy them in pairs (or more) on the internet, I've found rockauto and Amazon to have good pricing. I've yet to find a store that has Wix XP filters on the shelf.
Great advice

And I can't believe anyone who changes oil doesn't attempt to fill the filter first and lube the seal. Imagine their attempts at pro-creating!

Quick Reply: K&N oil filter failure...beware