Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Upgrade Talk - CS144, kg3, AD-244

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Alternator Upgrade Talk - CS144, kg3, AD-244

Spent the last hour reading about fbody alternator upgrades. I am LS swapped with F-Body accessories in factory location, and my turbo collector pipe is VERY close and runs between the alternator and frame rail (few mm's each side). I would like to swap in a larger alternator, but cant have a larger external package. What are my options? Also I will be controlling the voltage with a single wire from MS Gold. Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed this being discussed already.

Check out my work below

Old 11-01-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BUMP....can anyone comment? Thanks in advance
Old 11-05-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I swapped to the truck alt and it's not much bigger, if
at all. Only one odd casting boss toward the block made
it tight going back in.

If hot pipe is close, try and shield it somehow. The field
regulator doesn't need any more heat than it makes,
itself.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

2 truck alts out there. Small case stock is 95amps, large case is 130amps. The large case is considerably
larger than the small case and hence why the 35 amp increase and a bunch at idle low speed. It won't fit in your app, the large case is like 1" taller than the small
case. I had both, but due to the hood not closing after going from a 4" cowl to a stock hood I found out the small case clears the hood. So I had to get a 160amp small case by powermaster and it's been working great, black powdercoat and all.

alternators don't like heat, heat kills them and decreases performance. Some even say they won't powdercoat them
as it retains heat and shortens the life of the alt.

given your setup u need to ceramic coat that pipe definitely and then wrap it, while making a decent heat shield to Sheild the alt from that exhaust heat. Otherwise your going to be blowing through alternators like oil changes.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default ALT Upgrades.

I manufacturer my own Alternators mostly for the USPS.
I manufacture explosion proof, brush-less alternators.
I Up-Grade Alternators for BAJA racing @ 24 head light requirement.

We/most any alternator re-man can upgrade the frame you have to twice the output.

This is done using better diodes AND the use of Silver Solder, GOOD for high heat.

I would be able to do this if you sent your unit to my shop.

Lance
Old 11-09-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
I manufacturer my own Alternators mostly for the USPS.
I manufacture explosion proof, brush-less alternators.
I Up-Grade Alternators for BAJA racing @ 24 head light requirement.

We/most any alternator re-man can upgrade the frame you have to twice the output.

This is done using better diodes AND the use of Silver Solder, GOOD for high heat.

I would be able to do this if you sent your unit to my shop.

Lance

What is the cost of something like this? And how do you solve low idle charging amps associated with high output internals? Most high output alternators put out less amps at idle but more when reved up. Its hard to get more amps out of a smaller case at low speeds. I'm interested so if and when my powermaster dies that I can keep the nice black powdercoat and just get it upgraded/rebuilt from you. Mine is a 95amp case (Fbody I think) putting out 160amps currently and about 105 at idle.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default ALT Upgrades.

The cost is based on output with a range of $150-$650.00 USD.

Do you have the original core ?

My method is to place Rare Earth Magnets inside, the SAME method I use for my IGN-1A coil.

Lance
Old 08-02-2019, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roastin240
BUMP....can anyone comment? Thanks in advance
posting here because i searched everywhere and couldnt find a damn thing on what it takes to mount a cs144 in a 4th gen ls1 fbody...

the cs144 will fit but you gotta dremel it a bit to fit clean around the pwr steering lines comin off the rack.

after well over 10 years with my old excessive amperage 200amp alt (which sucked at low rpms) it finally gave the ghost on a hot day during some wot driving. i ordered the cs144 powermaster that was advertised on both summit and amazon as a fit to a 98 ls1 bird. well, it was not... i ended up having to dremel a notch at the bottom of the alt to get it to fit, and removed the rear mount for the smaller factory alternator. it could also use a longer belt but the oem one will work just a tad tight.

cs144 is a much bigger and better alt. thing is rock steady 14+ volts at idle and hopefully doesnt heatsoak and hate rpms like my old alt did.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm the one that made the truck alternator thread. You can go to the 105 amp truck alternator but I would ABSOLUTELY take lance up on his offer above. If he can build a quality alt for only $150 you will not find a better deal or better components. I can't believe that's all he charges.

If you're near dallas tx, I have a 105 amp truck alternator sitting here I'll sell.

Quick Reply: Alternator Upgrade Talk - CS144, kg3, AD-244