Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have spent many sleepless nights skimming through this thread. Viewing it on my phone has made it difficult because it messes up all the time. But regardless... what I have gathered is that their have been revisions on the setup for better clearance and better clamps. All good. Makes me that much closer to buying it. My question is on sound. Has anyone stuck mufflers on it that I just haven’t seen yet. That’s my only hang up. Don’t want it stupid loud to where I can’t cruise it.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6AFBaker
I have spent many sleepless nights skimming through this thread. Viewing it on my phone has made it difficult because it messes up all the time. But regardless... what I have gathered is that their have been revisions on the setup for better clearance and better clamps. All good. Makes me that much closer to buying it. My question is on sound. Has anyone stuck mufflers on it that I just haven’t seen yet. That’s my only hang up. Don’t want it stupid loud to where I can’t cruise it.
To be honest with you the kit itself isn't that loud at constant rpms. But it does get loud anytime you put your foot on the pedal.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys for your comments, and business..

Sean
Old 08-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6AFBaker
If it's a mostly stock car, it'll be fine. Big cam, lots of compression... it'll be loud. Even cruising around. I had the Kooks True Duals on mine with both bullets and Dynomax Ultraflos. Even with full sound dampening inside. It was often above 90db inside the car. Cruising around. With the bullets. Ultraflos brought it down into the low 80s. Definitely sounded like a monster.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkySS
I just installed this exhaust on my car last weekend.

LT1 with LPP/XS-Power headers
MWC Torque arm with standard catback crossmember (was previously clearanced for dumped duals)
Moser 12 bolt
Speed engineering upper PHB

After reading everyone's experiences on this thread, It went in pretty easy. The only hiccup being the upper PHB. I never drilled out the factory bolt holes so the bolts provided wouldn't fit without.

The clamps do suck but there's a trick to them. I replaced all the bolts with grade 8 which allowed me to make them virgin tight. The trick I found is this: The female pipe has slits in it to compress around the male pipe. If you have the clamp slid too far on, the female pipe wont compress no matter how tight you get the clamp. Once I figured this out, it was pretty easy. That being said, all the clamps are as tight as I could get them by hand and every one of them is leaking just a little bit.

I actually forgot to add the additional hanger and it seems to do pretty well without it.

The other trick I did was loose fit everything. Then push the back of the x-pipe up with a floor jack as far as it will go, then tighten all the clamps forward of the floor jack to minimize sag.

Taking the time to adjust all the pipes really pays off. That being said, the passenger side pipe is contacting the rear spring perch, although I'm sure its just needs a little more adjusting.

It's a real good system for the money. I was worried the tips wouldn't look right, being so big. But it actually looks pretty good on a Formula. I don't have any pics but I'll see if I can get some when I have time.
Thanks for reviewing how it worked for you on your LT1, I'm planning on buying for my LT1 car and there aren't many reviews on here for them. Did the front pipe/x-pipes line up to your headers fine, or did you have to do some custom fab to get them to align? I have a 97 LT1 with Pacesetter long tubes, and from what I'm reading the header outlets should be basically right where the LS1 would be, so I'm hoping no custom fab on that end.

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Got the dumped duals installed. The install took some trial and error to get it right. Plenty of clearance in my car at stock ride height but I don't see dropping the car anymore than a heater hose would being a good idea. The driver side tip hangs a tad lower than the rest of the system but I can't bring it up much more because the driver side pipe after the x will contact the driver seat bolt. (I suppose you could dent it with a press) Hangers are OK and seem to do their job fine, I only drilled one hole on each side. It has a very deep tone to it, much deeper than my magnaflow catback and I can tell will be very loud at WOT. It is just loud enough to annoy neighbors at 6AM but if you granny in neighborhoods it won't be a major problem after the initial cold start. I have SFCs and the only thing that rattles is the passanger cupholder and plastic shift boot tabs, which was the same with the old exhaust. The tips are turned somewhere around 45degrees and interior drone does exist at around 2500ish and is comfortable while crusing. Haven't been able to get on it because I just installed a new 9" so I have to baby it for 500 miles. I am much happier with this system than the magnaflow which was 2x the price...and now people can admire the busy 9" under the car instead of a polished steel muffler. I marked the bolts with a sharpie and will check to see if anything backs out. I replaced hardware with grade 8 bolts and torqued with a 1/2 ratchet. I also used lock washers, which must be grade 8. Clearance under driver side frame rail is the best I've seen from off the shelf systems as well. Just make sure you have the pipes adjusted right. I'll upload a video later but it won't do it justice. Videos never do...
About 3" clearence stock height
Thank you for the detailed review on the axle dump system, and the sound clip as well. Not many seem to be running that system. I'm planning on buying it because I'm tired of constant banging and vibrating with my over-axle pipe. The car isn't my DD so I'm not super concerned about it getting louder or more aggressive. You idling clip sold me on the sound level - it's louder than my current setup, but still palatable.

Originally Posted by dhirocz
After months of waiting, I finally got mine installed today. SE LT1 long tubes with the TD exhaust system.

Exhaust system fit fine, and the header fitment was leaps and bounds ahead of the old hookers I pulled out. They damn near fell into place, with only one interference point on the passenger side with the clamshell motor mount that I could find. Plug and bolt clearance is much better than my super comps.

Left pipe connecting to the exhaust from the header is too long to fit. It looks as if you can modify the stock pipe to work, but I plan to eventually go LS so a replacement straight piece of stainless pipe with a 90 that is shorter would do the job. I'll also be installing a set of crankcase evacuation tubes in the pipes just behind the 02's so I can finish it up.

The stock clamp bolts are junk, I replaced them with stainless with anti seize and no problems yet. Bravo on sending 1" header bolts, just wish they were stainless. I'm putting holes in the head to safety wire the bolts in so they don't come out.

So far, plenty happy and I'd do it again! Also clears my MWC fab9 and watts link without issue.
When you say the left pipe is too long to fit, are you saying it went too far forward (towards the engine bay) and needed to be shortened? Or the LH pipe goes too far outboard towards the LH outside of the car? I've read some info that 93-95 style LT1's you have to make up your own S-bend pipe to align an LS1 exhaust to the left side header, is that basically what you're talking about? If so what year LT1 do you have?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

W/O me having to go through 95 pages of comments, can anyone confirm that these are a direct fit for TSP headers?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dano 00TA
W/O me having to go through 95 pages of comments, can anyone confirm that these are a direct fit for TSP headers?
I have the same setup, but haven't installed either yet. I bought the kit based on this quote from SE's website. "This system has also been known to fit other manufactures longtube headers as well. Including TSP, PaceSetter, eBay/OBX style headers."
Old 08-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano 00TA
Yes. My TSP 1 7/8 headers worked fine.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
I have the same setup, but haven't installed either yet. I bought the kit based on this quote from SE's website. "This system has also been known to fit other manufactures longtube headers as well. Including TSP, PaceSetter, eBay/OBX style headers."
That's what I was looking at also but the "known to" made me think a bit.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cujo18
Yes. My TSP 1 7/8 headers worked fine.
Just what I needed to know, Thanks
Old 08-19-2018, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

They fit up to my TSP 1 3/4.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know if Speed Engineering is supplying better bolts with the clamps now? Or should I still upgrade what's coming with them? I thought I read a while back one of their reps on here was saying they were going to correct that issue.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by handyandy
Does anyone know if Speed Engineering is supplying better bolts with the clamps now? Or should I still upgrade what's coming with them? I thought I read a while back one of their reps on here was saying they were going to correct that issue.
Google "Grade 8" bolts and you'll see that there are 6 lines on the head of the bolt. When you get your kit, check the bolts and replace if necessary. They are not terribly expensive.

John
Old 08-29-2018, 09:50 AM
Sponsor

Thank you guys.. Yes, I believe all of our clamps now have the better T-Bolt bolts included with them.

Thanks
Sean
Old 08-30-2018, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Thank you guys.. Yes, I believe all of our clamps now have the better T-Bolt bolts included with them.

Thanks
Sean
The bolts in the kit I just received are marked 4.8, which from what I've found is a metric grade that is similar to Grade 2 / low strength bolts, FYI.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:36 AM
Sponsor

The T-Bolts now included are much stronger than our previous bolts. Our previous bolts would stretch at the thread not allowing the nut to continue, providing poor clamping strength. We haven't seen the new bolts stretch like that. We used them on our shop race car, and must of tightened/loosened them a dozen times through different heat cycles successfully. I would say they are now vary comparable to Magnacharger/Pypes/Accuseal clamps.

Thanks
Sean
Old 09-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Got a set of spintechs welded to my SE dumped duals. It sounds way better than those bullets. Here is a short idle video of it now. Couldn't rev it too high because my elderly neighbor was watching. Drone is at around 1700 RPMs 40ish MPH and cruising 45 and 70MPH it is nice and quiet. Much better tone than before. Id wager this is the best sounding LS1 I have heard in person. SE True Dual Dumped Spintechs
Which spintech mufflers did you use? I am looking to do the same thing but want to order the correct one.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

I hate to say it, but over the winter i will be removing my true duels and opt. for a different set up. I've only had them on the car for one summer. some minor scratches but just not what i want for my set up. If anyone is interested let me know.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ttorres
I hate to say it, but over the winter i will be removing my true duels and opt. for a different set up. I've only had them on the car for one summer. some minor scratches but just not what i want for my set up. If anyone is interested let me know.
Do you have the dumps or under the bumper setup?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

under the bumper set up.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!