Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020 | 10:04 AM
Launching!
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Howling_Mad
... Did you have them turned down to the ground or pointed to the side?

In your opinion, how much louder are they? Obnoxiously so on an otherwise stock car?

The previous owner had them pointed straight down, like they come from the manufacturer.

TBH, it's not that the GMMG is THAT much quieter, but it did change WHERE the sound was. With the turn downs, the sound is just under the rear floor pans. Drone was terrible at cruise 1800-2200 rpm, couldn't hear the radio, couldn't have a conversation, & everything in the car rattled. It was very responsive to throttle though & snappy.

The GMMG doesn't spin up as quick mostly because of the Y-pipe & cats but the sound is now at the back bumper.
I had to change it to pass emissions. Speaking of the back bumper, I went on a cruise with a buddy of mine & stuck the go-pro on the back bumper. WOT around 11:20.

He has turn downs, but also has 3.5" with chambered mufflers & it sounds nice.You can still hear mine when the go-pro was in his car...

I can't speak to the stock car sound since I've never had one But if going from stock to turn downs, then yes, I would consider them obnoxiously loud.
I've been eyeing the rear exit true duals for awhile now.
The following users liked this post:
Ted Kay (01-31-2020)
Old 01-21-2020 | 10:43 AM
Launching!

For those interested, heres 2 vids of my car with SE LTs and SE TDs, just as they come from SE, no changes other than better clamps.

if someone wants to embed those, that would be swell.
The following 4 users liked this post by micbegz28:
03Sssnake (01-29-2020), 89ThirdGenCamaro3310 (07-12-2020), slarsen47 (06-21-2022), Ted Kay (01-31-2020)
Old 01-21-2020 | 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spent21
The previous owner had them pointed straight down, like they come from the manufacturer.

TBH, it's not that the GMMG is THAT much quieter, but it did change WHERE the sound was. With the turn downs, the sound is just under the rear floor pans. Drone was terrible at cruise 1800-2200 rpm, couldn't hear the radio, couldn't have a conversation, & everything in the car rattled. It was very responsive to throttle though & snappy.

The GMMG doesn't spin up as quick mostly because of the Y-pipe & cats but the sound is now at the back bumper.
I had to change it to pass emissions. Speaking of the back bumper, I went on a cruise with a buddy of mine & stuck the go-pro on the back bumper. WOT around 11:20.
https://youtu.be/_Bi6qYB6rbM?t=588

He has turn downs, but also has 3.5" with chambered mufflers & it sounds nice.You can still hear mine when the go-pro was in his car...
https://youtu.be/jP2ASOhIatQ

I can't speak to the stock car sound since I've never had one But if going from stock to turn downs, then yes, I would consider them obnoxiously loud.
I've been eyeing the rear exit true duals for awhile now.
Whoa, this is great info. Yep, that is definitely quite loud! Sounds pretty sweet though!

True duels existing from the rear it is. Having a convertible I need all the help I can get
Old 01-27-2020 | 11:38 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

If you want to quiet them just put some spirals in the mufflers.
Old 01-28-2020 | 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
If you want to quiet them just put some spirals in the mufflers.
Which ones did you use?
Old 01-31-2020 | 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what bolt thread/size is for the center hanger? Thanks.

Old 02-29-2020 | 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Finally finished putting the rear exit kit on. Now that it's on I'm very pleased, though I think I still need to adjust the area around the drivers side x pipe to get it up more. A few comments:
-Sounds MEAN. Probably one of the best sounding exhausts you can get for an LS1. Despite all the comments about it being too loud, I was actually surprised with how perfect the volume is. I can still hear my music and hold a conversation as long as the passenger isnt whispering.
-Put it on along with the 1 7/8 headers and it's definitely way faster
-I wouldnt even bother with the clamps at all. I didnt listen to all the comments about them and assumed the new design would be okay (Its NOT! Please save yourself some time and dont risk messing up your pipes with these clamps.) I used jegs lap band clamps and they're miles better. The speed engineering clamps at the point of breaking were somehow still allowing the two pipes being connected to move freely.
-Some of the pipes were either damaged in the mail or werent constructed properly, I had to take some time with vice grips bending the ends so they'd fit together
-Only got 4 rubber hangers even though there are 5 necessary with the new hanger location. Not a big deal, just ended up zip tying one of the tips up

Overall extremely good value, even if it's not perfect. Make sure you're using a jack and pushing the pipes up as high as you can when tightening the clamps. At stock ride height I only even have problems if I'm not careful over especially annoying speed bumps. Thanks for this product SE!
Old 03-01-2020 | 05:42 PM
Teching In

Purchased headers and true duals last year February and installed them last April.
I modified the 1 7/8” headers for air pump tubing and installed Magnaflow metallic cats to keep things clean and easy on inspection day.
Made a bracket for the factory transmission hanger. Used the supplied clamps with exception of lapped clamps at the headers.
It still had more drone than I cared for so I installed spiral inserts.
I’m at stock hight and have plenty of clearance after hours of adjusting. .
I didn’t like the gap between the bumper and tips so I installed a valence.

Thanks Speed Enginering for a great product and service.
And thanks to all who posted here with your experience good or bad. It helped my install

The following 3 users liked this post by littless:
89ThirdGenCamaro3310 (03-03-2020), LaBLKv6Z (03-02-2020), slarsen47 (06-21-2022)
Old 03-02-2020 | 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Damn, That looks good!
Old 03-02-2020 | 08:46 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by trilkb
Which ones did you use?
i think i got them from speedway.
Old 03-02-2020 | 01:07 PM
Teching In

Bought spirals from speedway motors. Inserted them in the mufflers. I cut them down because they sounded funny.

Old 03-02-2020 | 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by littless
Bought spirals from speedway motors. Inserted them in the mufflers. I cut them down because they sounded funny.

You said that you cut the Spirals down. So which ones did you install?
Old 03-02-2020 | 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnR
You said that you cut the Spirals down. So which ones did you install?

the 2 ring.
Old 03-02-2020 | 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

the 2 ring.
So you killed the flow to quiet it down? Why not just get a set of XR-1 mufflers or go back to a catback with cutouts.
Old 03-02-2020 | 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
So you killed the flow to quiet it down? Why not just get a set of XR-1 mufflers or go back to a catback with cutouts.
Didn't actually quiet it down it changed the tone and eliminated interior drone which Is what my ears can’t handle. I’m going to see what a single ring will do. Maybe put it further up stream.
True dual sound is what I wanted.
Old 03-03-2020 | 07:49 AM
Launching!

Didn't actually quiet it down it changed the tone and eliminated interior drone which Is what my ears can’t handle. I’m going to see what a single ring will do. Maybe put it further up stream.
What valance is that ?! it looks amazing.
Old 03-03-2020 | 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

right but you could just add resonators or cats to the y pipe to effectively do the same thing and preserve flow. Sound is just energy and in an exhaust system, to change it you must convert it to heat energy. Spirals dont have any absorption material and no chambers to redirect sound and turn it into heat so it may change the sound a bit but wont quiet it down. Chambered mufflers usually do the best job of tuning out lower frequency harmonics to eliminate drone.
Old 03-03-2020 | 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
right but you could just add resonators or cats to the y pipe to effectively do the same thing and preserve flow. Sound is just energy and in an exhaust system, to change it you must convert it to heat energy. Spirals dont have any absorption material and no chambers to redirect sound and turn it into heat so it may change the sound a bit but wont quiet it down. Chambered mufflers usually do the best job of tuning out lower frequency harmonics to eliminate drone.
i am running Height flow metallic cats and whatever the spirals are doing they are removing the drone.
maybe back pressure bringing exhaust temp up? I have no idea.

Last edited by littless; 03-03-2020 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-03-2020 | 05:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by micbegz28
What valance is that ?! it looks amazing.
I picked it up at the local pick n pull.
I got the idea from Dee Struggles on UTube.
it’s off a 2004 Grand Prix.
The following users liked this post:
slarsen47 (06-21-2022)
Old 03-03-2020 | 10:15 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

You can pop the spirals in or out in less than 10 min easily once they're fitted.

Looks good littless

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!