Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More info

Originally Posted by 96firebirdowner
Has anyone had any luck changing the mufflers? Wanting something with a more defined tone instead of just "noise" possibly mangaflows. What size has everyone used? The smallest I can find is 14" case. But I'm unsure of the case diameter that will fit. Pics and part numbers or sizes would be great if anyone has any.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-kooks-td.html
Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Default This will keep you busy for days!....lol

Originally Posted by 96firebirdowner
Has anyone had any luck changing the mufflers? Wanting something with a more defined tone instead of just "noise" possibly mangaflows. What size has everyone used? The smallest I can find is 14" case. But I'm unsure of the case diameter that will fit. Pics and part numbers or sizes would be great if anyone has any.
https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&r...8VTIgYD1y6oyM:
Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I addressed that in this thread. Put some spirals in the muffler. Also the tips look great but act like a big bell. So i changed the tips.

Did the spirals before the tips/after mufflers make a difference in tone? More of a deep tone? Or did they just quiet the exhaust slightly?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Made a vid for you guys with the differences. Luckily i had the clips. I'm pretty sure the last clip was with the spirals but it's been a while since i made these clips. Hopefully it's of some help. The second vid is on the dyno with the se td as delivered.

The following users liked this post:
Ted Kay (11-18-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I am still super confused with peoples reviews of this system. Some say it's ridiculously loud, some say its perfect others say it's deep sounding, some say it drones others say no drone. Has anyone just gonna from Lts and ory, slp lm to this? That's like the loudest exhaust ever. Are people putting true duals on a car that had stock exhaust and complaining its too loud?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
I am still super confused with peoples reviews of this system. Some say it's ridiculously loud, some say its perfect others say it's deep sounding, some say it drones others say no drone. Has anyone just gonna from Lts and ory, slp lm to this? That's like the loudest exhaust ever. Are people putting true duals on a car that had stock exhaust and complaining its too loud?
It's confusing because no one will buy a $20 BAFX Products Decibel Meter and get some actual results.

With that meter and cutouts closed, my car is 67 db at idle in the cabin with this setup:

SE LS1 Longtube Headers 1 7/8
TSP off road Y pipe
DMH dual low profile electric cutouts
Walker 54064 intermediate pipe
Kooks GE-307540 welded in intermediate pipe
Walker 53061 over the axle pipe
Magnaflow 14267, single 3" in, dual 2.5 outdum
Two Magnaflow 14416's coming after the 14267 leading to the CME

For comparison most new stock 4 door sedans are 45 db. When I come across a 4th gen that is stock I'll post results.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

it's not confusing at all. It's in my vid. Yes it's pretty loud as delivered, yes it has some drone. No it's not terrible. If you want it quieter buy some $15 spirals and shove them in the muffler. You could even cut the spirals to tune your sound.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

I might try these, since S/E will not sell to anyone California

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=8588
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys for your comments/videos. I was unaware of the torque arm issue. To my knowledge our jigs didn't have any variance. We are just about to start another run, and will definitely make sure the issue is addressed.

FYI: TSP no longer sells within CA as well.

Thanks
Sean
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Thank you guys for your comments/videos. I was unaware of the torque arm issue. To my knowledge our jigs didn't have any variance. We are just about to start another run, and will definitely make sure the issue is addressed.

FYI: TSP no longer sells within CA as well.

Thanks
Sean
ANYTHING to California or only 1975 or later applications? There would be no issue with older applications.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:38 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I went from longtubes, ORY, and the SLP Loudmouth to the SE lontubes and over-axle true duals and it doesn’t seem any louder than the SLP but it does sound MUCH better. It still has a litttle bit of drone if you’re cruising around at about 2000 rpm, but zero rasp like the old exhaust had. I might daily drive my car again so I need to try the spirals and add cats so I can pass inspection and keep from getting complaints from the neighbors, but other than that, I have no complaints. It was well worth it.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There's a lot of businesses that are stopping doing business with California.

I don't blame them.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS

I went from longtubes, ORY, and the SLP Loudmouth to the SE lontubes and over-axle true duals and it doesn’t seem any louder than the SLP but it does sound MUCH better. It still has a litttle bit of drone if you’re cruising around at about 2000 rpm, but zero rasp like the old exhaust had. I might daily drive my car again so I need to try the spirals and add cats so I can pass inspection and keep from getting complaints from the neighbors, but other than that, I have no complaints. It was well worth it.
This is my experience EXACTLY with going from Y to X. I replaced the kit mufflers with flowmaster DBX which substantially helped. I have spirals sitting in my garage ready to go in. Trying to decide where the best place to put them is. Do I pick a spot in the middle of the long run of pipe to shift the frequency, similar to a resonator? Or do I just put them in the back where it's easier to get them in?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

The back.....that's where mine are. I can take them out in 5min.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Just got mine installed last night. Took me about 7 hours, most of that was making incremental cuts to my SLP y pipe so I could mate the SE x pipe to my cats. I'm at stock ride height and have roughly 4.5 " of clearance everywhere. The pipes that go over the axle are wedged tight against the panhard relocation bar and the body, but tight enough so that it doesn't rattle.
Still have some adjustment to do though, the passenger tip is tucked up and recessed a bit, which is perfect, had the driver side the same way but tightening the upstream clamps moved it out and down, may have some cutting to do.
For anyone wondering about the extra hanger they include, the bolt replaces the rear passenger seat belt clip bolt. Not too sure about the orientation of the bracket, but putting the open end towards the vehicle body worked for me.
My car is HCI and it's loud , but it's nice and deep, not quite as deep as my magnalfow magnapak but its far from being high pitched.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
This is my experience EXACTLY with going from Y to X. I replaced the kit mufflers with flowmaster DBX which substantially helped. I have spirals sitting in my garage ready to go in. Trying to decide where the best place to put them is. Do I pick a spot in the middle of the long run of pipe to shift the frequency, similar to a resonator? Or do I just put them in the back where it's easier to get them in?
Do you have clips and pics of this?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chr45gt2
Just got mine installed last night. Took me about 7 hours, most of that was making incremental cuts to my SLP y pipe so I could mate the SE x pipe to my cats. I'm at stock ride height and have roughly 4.5 " of clearance everywhere. The pipes that go over the axle are wedged tight against the panhard relocation bar and the body, but tight enough so that it doesn't rattle.
Still have some adjustment to do though, the passenger tip is tucked up and recessed a bit, which is perfect, had the driver side the same way but tightening the upstream clamps moved it out and down, may have some cutting to do.
For anyone wondering about the extra hanger they include, the bolt replaces the rear passenger seat belt clip bolt. Not too sure about the orientation of the bracket, but putting the open end towards the vehicle body worked for me.
My car is HCI and it's loud , but it's nice and deep, not quite as deep as my magnalfow magnapak but its far from being high pitched.
Same question for you? Clips/pics? Mating it up to an aftermarket catted Y seems like a great idea if you want cats. And must tame the sound a bunch. Very curious.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read through everything to catch back up. Seems people are getting better ground clearance then some I've heard about in the beginning? I'm thinking about getting it and trying to refab my bmr xtreme torque arm mount by flipping the bend upside down. Seen a guy ran a couple washers on his umi straight member and it cleared also so maybe something that way by lowering my bar. Would hate to have to get rid of the xtreme bar just to run this tho. Looking to purchase by end of this week if can make it work.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BC178
Read through everything to catch back up. Seems people are getting better ground clearance then some I've heard about in the beginning? I'm thinking about getting it and trying to refab my bmr xtreme torque arm mount by flipping the bend upside down. Seen a guy ran a couple washers on his umi straight member and it cleared also so maybe something that way by lowering my bar. Would hate to have to get rid of the xtreme bar just to run this tho. Looking to purchase by end of this week if can make it work.
I know the thread is long. Here is some info that is probably buried in the thread. We revised our true dual rear exit about six months after the release, which raised the center section as well as added a hanger in the same area. Our kit now allows you to pretty much touch the floor of the car with the exhaust. With that being said it is still 6" of tubing under a fairly flat car. Lowered cars will probably still see some clearance issues.

Thanks
Sean
Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered it. We are going to try and make something out of my bar and if that's a bust I'll order a new torque arm designed for duals. New headers and duals should be on their way shortly I was told! Car is being painted so will be about a month before install.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!