Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, no. Gotta love California. Wish we could continue selling. Its obviously a large loss for us considering we live here. EPA does not allow the sale of any smog related performance products any more unless they have a CARB approval. They are cracking down left and right. Jegs got hit with a 1.7 million dollar fine. I know Roush got hit with a fine, as well as several others. Between those, the new muffler law, and prop 64, its insane how far they have gone. Shoot the cows around here pollute more than guys who enjoy working/building their cars ever have. Makes no sense. The thing that really blows my mind is guys with say older Chevelles, Novas, C10 trucks that currently have the older SBC or BBC engines, which obviously pollute way more than any LS are required to retain the original cats, EVAP systems, etc when doing an LS swap. The referee is required to sign off on the swap. How crazy is that. That's basically saying hey I am going to put a more efficient better for the environment engine in my car. Can I do that? Nope, not unless you jump through all of our requirements. Pay the required fees, and oh ya you have to keep the cats and evap, which no junk yard will even sell you now days because of the smog laws. Sorry, for my rant its a sore subject lol.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Might as well move your business elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Best thing a business can do is move out of California before they find a way to regulate and tax you out of business.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Unfortunately, no. Gotta love California. Wish we could continue selling. Its obviously a large loss for us considering we live here. EPA does not allow the sale of any smog related performance products any more unless they have a CARB approval. They are cracking down left and right. Jegs got hit with a 1.7 million dollar fine. I know Roush got hit with a fine, as well as several others. Between those, the new muffler law, and prop 64, its insane how far they have gone. Shoot the cows around here pollute more than guys who enjoy working/building their cars ever have. Makes no sense. The thing that really blows my mind is guys with say older Chevelles, Novas, C10 trucks that currently have the older SBC or BBC engines, which obviously pollute way more than any LS are required to retain the original cats, EVAP systems, etc when doing an LS swap. The referee is required to sign off on the swap. How crazy is that. That's basically saying hey I am going to put a more efficient better for the environment engine in my car. Can I do that? Nope, not unless you jump through all of our requirements. Pay the required fees, and oh ya you have to keep the cats and evap, which no junk yard will even sell you now days because of the smog laws. Sorry, for my rant its a sore subject lol.
That really sucks. Back in the day NY decided that all cars had to be smog tested on a dyno, there was no way to cheat through it. Nowadays they just plug into the OBD and do a scan. No codes, no issues. As long as a shop knows you they usually wont even look at anything on the car, something I'm grateful for. I just pull up to the bay, plug in and I'm done and gone in 5 minutes.

When we were being smog tested I would bolt the factory h-pipe back on my mustang. Equal length shorty headers were pretty good and kept the factory mounting position. Test the car and then swap my off-road one back on. I don't understand why CA cant just rely on emission testing. If a car is within spec who gives a **** what is done to it.

It would be a MAJOR PITA to have to swap headers and a full exhaust every year.

My brother-in-law got pulled over in his 68 Camaro by a dumb F cop who said he knew he wasnt running catalytic converters because of the sound. Had to explain to the rookie what smog exempt was, lol. But by and large cops don't mess with exhaust issues. If they did there would be a lot less loud as F trucks and ricers running around. They are even pretty lenient with cars leaving cars and coffee showing off by romping through a couple of gears, but we dont do burnouts and the occasional guy who does is labeled a fng idiot so usually doesn't again.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Cars older than 1975 are not tested in California, so nobody would know if it was swapped, LS or otherwise.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

The majority of people in Cali are fucked
Old 02-12-2019, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by big hammer
The majority of people in Cali are fucked
If you put a nasty cam, long tubes, or a non-authorized turbo setup into a 1975 or later car, yeah. But there are many other things you can do that will go under the radar.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol around my parts even a cat back on a newer car bone stock everything else will get you a state ref now, ask me how I know. Gotta love Bay Area cops.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gooze_1
Lol around my parts even a cat back on a newer car bone stock everything else will get you a state ref now, ask me how I know. Gotta love Bay Area cops.
Shows what dweebs some cops are. They usually don't know jack about cars so think the whole exhaust is emission related. The more knowledgeable cops would leave you alone unless it's too loud.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by G Atsma
The more knowledgeable cops would leave you alone unless it's too loud.
That's the way it is around here, the officers that car guys are pretty cool. Deputy pulled me over for expired registration/inspection, we shot the **** for a minute, got a warning and he said do whatever you gotta do to get a sticker...LMFAO
Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Cars older than 1975 are not tested in California, so nobody would know if it was swapped, LS or otherwise.
That is true, but that is only maybe half our swap guys. We sell headers for C10 square body's, 3rd Gen F-Body's, S10's, Fox Body Mustang, and 88-98 Silverado/Sierra. Every one of these vehicles would see better emissions with an LS swap. Don't get me wrong I have two children, and have always been pro clean air/better living etc. I just think they are barking up the wrong tree. Meanwhile, its unfortunate that your average car guy cannot wrench on his car now days. Its a passion that a lot of people really enjoy.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

That is true, but that is only maybe half our swap guys. We sell headers for C10 square body's, 3rd Gen F-Body's, S10's, Fox Body Mustang, and 88-98 Silverado/Sierra. Every one of these vehicles would see better emissions with an LS swap. Don't get me wrong I have two children, and have always been pro clean air/better living etc. I just think they are barking up the wrong tree. Meanwhile, its unfortunate that your average car guy cannot wrench on his car now days. Its a passion that a lot of people really enjoy.
The aftermarket is relatively small as well when compared to the number of cars on the road. Even among enthusiasts... how many Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger owners really mod their cars more than just a catback or air intake and rims? It's regulation to solve a nonexistent problem. Going after the manufacturers to build cleaner cars does make a difference when they sell 10 million cars a year. Going after a shadetree mechanic doesn't.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I TOTALLY sympathize with you here! I think that on a pre-OBDII car, test it sniffer-only. If it's clean enough, renew the registration, pay the bill and go home! Even with no converter, nasty cam (though these usually will NOT pass, lol). Bottom line, it's clean or it isn't. In an 80's car that would normally require a converter, an LS running without one would doubtless be clean enough. But our gov't goons don't see it that way, unfortunately.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See my last few posts. Hoping someone from SE will see it. Not asking for anything just hope they do better.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...-camaro-2.html
Old 03-21-2019, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

Glad I didn't buy their torque arm, cross member. The fitment, alignment looks terrible on the crossmember.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Looks like normal **** to me. Idk if I've ever met a mod i didn't have to mod.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I heard a rumor that the inside primaries on the SE headers are not always the same advertised diameter in some of the production runs. Is this true or is it more bullshit being spewed from the competitor in an effort to get people to not buy the SE headers? I have them on my car and they are great.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone had any luck changing the mufflers? Wanting something with a more defined tone instead of just "noise" possibly mangaflows. What size has everyone used? The smallest I can find is 14" case. But I'm unsure of the case diameter that will fit. Pics and part numbers or sizes would be great if anyone has any.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

I addressed that in this thread. Put some spirals in the muffler. Also the tips look great but act like a big bell. So i changed the tips.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96firebirdowner
Has anyone had any luck changing the mufflers? Wanting something with a more defined tone instead of just "noise" possibly mangaflows. What size has everyone used? The smallest I can find is 14" case. But I'm unsure of the case diameter that will fit. Pics and part numbers or sizes would be great if anyone has any.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rue-duals.html

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!