Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate titles

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate titles

So I but a 2000 z28 and need help I keep losing coolant I have seen that they replaced the radiator and the hose's so what gives am I burning it? The oil is clean so I know it's not in there
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

I see the hoses that go to the heater core rot and leak a lot. Not very obvious spot either since they're tucked up way behind the windshield.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
I see the hoses that go to the heater core rot and leak a lot. Not very obvious spot either since they're tucked up way behind the windshield.
checked them and yes they were not in the best shape but they weren't leaking...I have heard warped heads will do this and leak into the combustion chanber. ...and it had been run hot before but no water was adied until the car had cooled
Old 04-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Go to your local parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. If you have an external leak you will see where it is once you pressurize the system. Otherwise you could also have a blown head gasket leaking coolant into the combustion chamber.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyp3353
Go to your local parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. If you have an external leak you will see where it is once you pressurize the system. Otherwise you could also have a blown head gasket leaking coolant into the combustion chamber.
Agreed!

Its a hand pump that pressurized the system just like if the car was running at operating temperature. Pump it up to 15 psi and it should hold pressure, if not you should be able to visibly see any leaks
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I chased a leak for a year. I suspected that the radiator cap was not holding vacuum after turning the car off. Replaced the radiator cap with a cheap Autozone unit but the problem persisted. I replaced a bunch of hoses and was about to pull the heads when I decided to try replacing the radiator cap with an AC Delco cap from the dealer. Problem solved.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
I chased a leak for a year. I suspected that the radiator cap was not holding vacuum after turning the car off. Replaced the radiator cap with a cheap Autozone unit but the problem persisted. I replaced a bunch of hoses and was about to pull the heads when I decided to try replacing the radiator cap with an AC Delco cap from the dealer. Problem solved.
OK thanks my cap once came loose just when I went down the highway so....thanks again
Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Agreed!

Its a hand pump that pressurized the system just like if the car was running at operating temperature. Pump it up to 15 psi and it should hold pressure, if not you should be able to visibly see any leaks
thanks so much I'll see what happens
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also use the pressure tester to check your radiator cap. Autozone branded radiator caps are all typically mishimoto radiator caps
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Water Pump Seal

Hi Peter, good advice above.

My advice is to observe the Water Pump drain near the shaft center.

Look for signs of coolant coming from the small hole.

The Water Pump should be changed at 80K miles ???

The bearing too could be "felt" if the belt was removed.

A pressure tester may not test the pump seal leak if small.

Lance

Quick Reply: I hate titles