Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats add torque?

Old 07-27-2004, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cats add torque?

there was a guy on here asking how he can gain more torque and somebody told him to get cats for his Y-pipe?...i thought restriction was bad?...how do they add torque is a restricted exhaust better for adding torque? or what actually will factor in the torque? cam specs have anything to do with it...cuz the way it llooks to me is that more intake less exhaust makes torque...so it seems to me form the looks of it thnaks for the info
Old 07-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Sweet Cheeks

TTT for ya. I run cats on my car and dynoed more torque than HP. Cam only.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

so hows that work out then? is it more restriciton out of the engine that causes torque gains?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

When you have cats on, you're restricting your exhaust flow, which is causing you to have more back pressure than us guys/gals with no cats at all, which increases your torque...but it will get you where you need it...high end...that's where you need the Horses
Old 07-27-2004, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

oh alrighty....so its alll backpressure...so does the backpressure only come form the cats? or would a muffler do it also...for instance say i have Kooks LT's Catted Y and GMMG....if i was o install a cutout on the I-pipe...which would have more torque full catback...cutout or it woukldnt make a difference?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cats will not get you more torque. Period. See my sig. No cats.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

your car is also tuned...and the Magnaflow muffler probably helps with backpressure correct?...the ASP pulley might possibly have something to do with it no?...
TMPQ
ToMyPreviousQuestion
Old 07-27-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
your car is also tuned...and the Magnaflow muffler probably helps with backpressure correct?...the ASP pulley might possibly have something to do with it no?...
TMPQ
ToMyPreviousQuestion
Magnaflow is one of the better flowing exhausts. No backpressure. A tune helps anyone with headers and exhaust but back to the point. Backpressure/cats will not gain you any torque.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While it is possible that the addition of slight backpressure will gain some low end torque, or atleast move the curve down, it will only help torque at the bottom of the RPM range. It will not likely affect torque peak. The restriction will however reduce your high rpm HP numbers. Good high flow cats should only reduce peak HP by 3 - 5 HP on most cars vs no cats, but I cant tell you how much you gain down low, especiall since it doesnt take place at tq max. Ill bet its not much though.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
While it is possible that the addition of slight backpressure will gain some low end torque, or atleast move the curve down, it will only help torque at the bottom of the RPM range. It will not likely affect torque peak. The restriction will however reduce your high rpm HP numbers. Good high flow cats should only reduce peak HP by 3 - 5 HP on most cars vs no cats, but I cant tell you how much you gain down low, especiall since it doesnt take place at tq max. Ill bet its not much though.
No, someone who takes out there cats will see an increase of torque all through the range. Now maybe the increases will be higher at higher RPM but there will be increases all through the range. Even at lower RPM's. This has been dyno proven.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

backpressure = torque is MAJOR

next that "guy" will be saying "ricer fart cans will give you loads of HP"

backpressure hurts ALL kinds of power (HP AND torque) as it robs energy from the pistons on the exhaust stroke as they must PUSH the exhaust out of the cylinders

if you want more torque then get "smaller" (not small enough to make backpressure) long tube headers as they will keep velocity up and improve scavanging at low RPM to build torque.

long, small diameter primaries (with no backpressure) = low RPM torque
short, BIG diameter primaries (NO backpressure) = high RPM HP
Old 07-27-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys backpressure will help torque. One time I tested it on the dyno. 2 runs with cutout open, two with cutout closed. When the cutout was opened I gained peak horsepower and lost peak torque(as well as area under the curve). Same principle with cats. Maybe this is moreso true for less heavily modded cars but I know when I have the cats in on my FLPs the the torque curve feels fatter and smoother than without them.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dal1as
No, someone who takes out there cats will see an increase of torque all through the range. Now maybe the increases will be higher at higher RPM but there will be increases all through the range. Even at lower RPM's. This has been dyno proven.
I doubt they did a dyno pull from as low as 1000 rpm. That is where the torque is lost, just off idle. Also, I believe it makes more of a difference if you have a cam with a lot of overlap.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

backpressure is crap.....why else would true duals work so well? 2001CamaroGuy nailed it.....free flowing exhaust is where its at. thats why people want cats GONE. you keep them only for sound and/or emissions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cats add torque?