Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01' Vette ls6 intake on f-body Whistle noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow 01' Vette ls6 intake on f-body Whistle noise?

A friend of mine works at a chevy dealer and can get me a 2001 vette ls6 intake that was replaced under warranty for next to nothing.

Questions: The intake was replaced under warranty for a whistling noise. Has anyone else used one of these?, will the noise be there in an f-body ( maybe the combination of the air intake and manifold?)? Any way to correct the whistle noise?, How loud is the whistle?

I am assuming I will need to come up with a way to mount my throttle cable and edit out my EGR. Is there anything else preventing this from working on a 99' SS ?

Thanks!!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was replace under warranty for a reason, sounds like it's warped or has a crack in it.... if it were me I'd pass on it even if it was free. JMO

Al
Old 12-15-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

You will need to replace/mod the coolant lines that run under the intake, a block plate for your EGR at the manifold, and tune out the codes. You should at least look at it. My intake hisses through the air lid like some sort of evil serpent ever since I put my throttle body on. Weird noises from the intake would not surprise me on an otherwise fine intake. Who knows, the intake might have just not been clamped down right.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:18 PM
11 Second Truck Club

And also you can remove the threaded inserts in your current LS1 intake throttle mount and tap them into the LS6 intakes holes. It may take alittle persuasion to get them out.
If it was me I'd try it there's probobly nothin wrong with it. If it does whistle alittle bit, just get some true duals with bullets and you'll never hear it again.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fasteddyss
A friend of mine works at a chevy dealer and can get me a 2001 vette ls6 intake that was replaced under warranty for next to nothing.

Questions: The intake was replaced under warranty for a whistling noise. Has anyone else used one of these?, will the noise be there in an f-body ( maybe the combination of the air intake and manifold?)? Any way to correct the whistle noise?, How loud is the whistle?

I am assuming I will need to come up with a way to mount my throttle cable and edit out my EGR. Is there anything else preventing this from working on a 99' SS ?

Thanks!!

That's how I got my first LS6 intake.I'm still using it on the car today....it's been 3yrs now.The car it came off of had a whistling noise,nothing real bad.The owner just was'nt having it though.After I put it on my car,the whistle was VERY minimal.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

maybe one of the gaskets was bad. i thought the intakes had the sutff on there for the throttle bracket? my ls6 did just had to use my old bracket
Old 12-16-2004, 12:55 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
maybe one of the gaskets was bad. i thought the intakes had the sutff on there for the throttle bracket? my ls6 did just had to use my old bracket
If you get one off a Vette there's no threaded inserts because they have no linkage. (elec throttle)
Old 12-16-2004, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

my part number isthe one off the z06, i just thought that was with the ls2 intake