Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR & EGR removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright so i just bought from speed inc.

ls1 egr/air block off set for $14.00
LS1 egr manifold plug for $2.00

sounds good?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Teching In

I have a similar question to deanasdork's. I am about to purchase the pacesetter race headers for my 99 camaro. I am planning on removing the EGR and AIR system. Correct me if I'm wrong but is all I need the freeze plug? Since I will be installing the race style headers, I won't need the block plates, right?

any help?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99_hugger_Z
I have a similar question to deanasdork's. I am about to purchase the pacesetter race headers for my 99 camaro. I am planning on removing the EGR and AIR system. Correct me if I'm wrong but is all I need the freeze plug? Since I will be installing the race style headers, I won't need the block plates, right?

any help?
correct
Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought with deleting the AIR you would'nt get the sense light and also if you have your car inspected while the engine is hot you will pass the inspection because all the AIR does is pump air into the manifolds to heat them up quicker I think not sure about that one though.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Launching!

People say the !AIR doesn't throw codes. It's really hit or miss. There's at least 2 codes if not more it could throw according to a GM Tech I spoke to.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Does anyone know the size/ dimensions of the EGR block off plates... I fabbed up something from the old tubing and the stock plate. Worked good fore a day or so, but now you can hear a decent whistle (Air getting sucked in). I could keep modifying it, but thats a pain and it doesn't even look good. Anyone know what size the after market plates are to make a permanent one?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deanasdork
alright so i just bought from speed inc.

ls1 egr/air block off set for $14.00
LS1 egr manifold plug for $2.00

sounds good?
AH-HA!!!

I've been searching this site as well as part stores like a **** trying to find one of these damn things. Looks like I need to see what else I can buy from Speed Inc and place an order.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure this is a stupid question, but on my 01 theres no EGR, and that freeze plug is JUST if i had EGR right? i removed the AIR system and my headers already had block off plates installed, so im good?

i ask this becuase i pulled out the piece in the AIR system under the cowl and it had what looked like a vacuum tube going to it. i just pulled that off, not sure if it needs to be covered or what.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here this should help out a bit.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/673299-air-removal-pics.html

Its the tutorial i did. My FIRST LS1TECH sticky! WOO HOO.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Since I ordered my headers and Y-pipe along with new wires and plugs from TSP, I just had them send me an EGR plug for the intake in the same box. I don't even know how much it cost (didn't pay any attention) but it looks like a factory part and bolts in just like the old EGR pipe did.

If the emission guys didn't know that a 2000 was supposed to have EGR, he would never know the difference as it looks like it was put there from GM

Luckily, I don't have any jewish emissions requirements here so no worries!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbotko

Luckily, I don't have any jewish emissions requirements here so no worries!
not sure what religion has to do with emissions. if anything id use the word **** instead of jewish.

im still lost about that vacuum looking pipe. it plugged into the T-connector at the back of the UIM.

EDIT: ok now i see that it needs to be plugged.

Last edited by fast01z28; 03-30-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I read through this whole post...I have racestyle Pacesetter's and I also have the LS6 intake with EGR from SLP...Where can I get the freeze plug for my intake? After I get the freeze plug I'll just need 1 block off plate for the exhaust manifold right??
Old 04-26-2007, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Blocked off AIR and EGR.Well....both threw codes.I knew EGR would but now I know AIR will too.
But whats way worse than that is my gas mileage took a dump!!Hooked the stuff back up and all's well.At over 3.00$ a gallon,maybe you want to rethink this?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovin myls1
Blocked off AIR and EGR.Well....both threw codes.I knew EGR would but now I know AIR will too.
But whats way worse than that is my gas mileage took a dump!!Hooked the stuff back up and all's well.At over 3.00$ a gallon,maybe you want to rethink this?
If you delet the AIR/EGR it'll effect my gas mileage?? How? What If I were to get the LT's with EGR/AIR?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Can the codes be tuned out with a hypertech or similar power programmer?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
If there is a visual inspection, you'll fail, but just a sniffer test, you might get by with it (if you still have the cats) if you fail it'll likely be for NOx (EGR helps to keep that down by cooling the combustion charge)
EGR shouldn't really matter, all LS1 F-Body cars '01 and newer don't even have the system. They have a slightly different cam to help compensate, but it still shouldn't fail a sniffer test. The only thing that will really mkae you fail the sniffer test is having no cats.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It affected my mileage,and no hypertech wont turn it off,I have one.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovin myls1
It affected my mileage,and no hypertech wont turn it off,I have one.
What affected your mileage?? Not having EGR?? That makes no sense, otherwise 01+ LS1's would have a lower fuel economy rating since they don't have any EGR system, period.

All it does is recirculate air back into the intake manifold from the exhaust. I fail to see how that would affect fuel economy at all. Its for emmissions, to redirect unburnt hydrocarbons from the exhaust to be burned completely.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did AIR and EGR at the same time.Don't know if that matters.But,hey if anyone wants to block these off,go ahead.If it doesn't affect mileage,great.If it does,it isn't hard to hook back up.The engine bay looks way cleaner without,for sure.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to let you guys know:

it's perfectly understandable that removing EGR would hurt your gas mileage. EGR recirculates exhaust gases back into your intake. this would, in theory, raise intake air temperatures. you have to understand that our motors like to be hot. i don't know about you guys, but i get 18 mpg in the winter and 22 mpg in the summer. i don't drive any differently. engines just run more efficiently HOT. when you're injecting hotter air into your car, while you'll in theory lose power, the engine will run more efficiently and use less gas.

yes, EGR can and should lower your gas mileage, although not by a whole lot. removing AIR shouldn't hurt your mileage at all unless you cause an exhaust leak in the process.

FWIW, while we're on the subject of gas mileage, swapping to a 160* thermostat will also hurt your gas mileage. our motors were designed to run hot. the cooler we run them, the less efficiently they burn fuel which will result in poorer fuel economy.

my $0.02.

Quick Reply: AIR & EGR removal