Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I install a new catback myself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could I install a new catback myself?

I have SLP Dual/Dual on my car as is. I just recently purchased the LM-II Catback. All Local exhaust shops seem to be booked until next week. Seeing that I'm very impatient right now - having it sitting in my bedroom - How hard is it for a ...somewhat "Novice" to attempt? I'm not a dumbass, and I'm definitely not afraid to dig into a project. Any advice or predictions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Takes some fighting and ramps but i'm sure you can do it in an afternoon.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you could do it fairly easy. I first did my GMMG as a novice knowing little about how to install exhaust (and it is not an easy catback to install). I got the front wheels on ramps, the back end up in the air and went to work. I think you could pull it off in an afternoon as well.

If you are removing stock exhaust, you are going to need like a sawall or something along that line.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

I think the hardest thing to do, will be lifting your car, so that you can go underneath it.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, get a sawzall and you'll be set. Doing it with a hacksaw from underneath is no fun.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know what end of a wrench to hold, you should be able to DIY, the biggest thing will be getting the stock exhaust off (a sawzall will be your best bet), the install is just a matter of putting the pipes together, and routing the pipe over the rear axle, and making sure the tips are level
You may want to test fit all the pieces before trying to do it under the car, that way you can see if there needs to be any adjustment to the openings to get it all to fit right (it's alot easier to do on the floor, rather than trying to do it while your laying on your back underneath the car
Old 04-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Launching!

ya its really easy the only hard part was getting the old **** off...

it took me a total of about 3.5 hours to do my cat back 3 of which i spent getting the old one off

just get a sawsaw and some mettle blades and dig in for the fight

-Josh
Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just take you time and have a sawzall with you...get some penetrating lube too...The I pipe clamp needs to come off...its hard if you dont have an impact gun.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of your comments. Hopefully, if I get a day off I'll give it my best shot. Thankfulyy this site is here in case I get into trouble.

Rick M.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Launching!

I've seen pics of how to be creative to get your car really high in the air. I figured I'll try, but I went well over 24" and still could'nt get my GMMG to fit up over the rear axle. I got worried about the car falling so I gave up and let a shop use their lift to do it. I hope you have better luck with the install than I did.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Quick question for you guys!

I just took a quick peak under my car. It appears that I could uninstall the Dual/Dual without cutting anything...

All of you say I'd need a Sawzall or equivalent...but the D/D is "technically" a catback isn't it? Not the STOCK Catback all of you are talking about with cutting and such...

Rick M.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to take the DD apart enough to get it off without cutting it (can't say for sure as I've not seen one in person)
Have the sawzall on stand by in case you can't get it apart, and if you can get it apart, sell it and recoup some of the money you spent for the new catback
Old 04-30-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

I was in this same situation about a year ago..

I ordered the Loudmouth II exhaust, and I went again and attempted the install myself.

As someone else said the hardest part was getting the old **** off... I wanted to remove it keeping in mind that I may want to re-install the old **** if i sell the car... So, taking it off with trying to spare everything was a task. (never touched exhaust before).

I would like to say the quality of the Loudmouth pipes were VERY good. The finish is VERY nice too. Touch it with some Mothers polish (before you install) and look out! It shines like chrome tips in no time!

Long story short. You shouldnt have a problem putting it on yourself.. My brackets ended up not cramping tight enough on the pipes, saging one side, so i had to get them welded.. (pipe thickness was too strong for the brackets. They couldnt squeeze hard enough) Plan on getting it welded in the near future!
Old 04-30-2006, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

i installed my lm2 in my garage with a jack and 2 jack stands in a little over 2 hours not that bad...getting the stock one off is the hard part
Old 04-30-2006, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

You can also put grease in the hangers when taking them off or putting on the new ones. Put some on the tip of a screwdriver and rub it in. Still a bitch but makes it easier.

If you have replacement rubber hangers than you can just cut off the old ones.