Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No More X... H Pipe OWNZ ALL!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painted My Exhaust

Well today i paitned the exhaust too.. First of it is 3" Aluminzed Steel.. Soin time it will rust and i did not have money for Stainless Steel. I painted it first in VHT Flat Black that paint is good between 1500* - 2000* then i painted it with engine enamel 500* GLOSS BLACK

BEFORE

AFTER

Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Man when i had my x, below 3000 RPMs my car was a dog! But with the x 3000 RPMs and up, wow it pulled like a raped ape w/o a problem... now that i have the h.. wow i can not beleive all the tq that i gained back.. the car is soo mcuh more responisve at any RPM...:
dude, if your *** dyno is that sensitive, you're in the wrong business. there is no way you'd be able to tell a gain of like 5 rwtq @ 3k. if the gain is even that much.

my car was much more responsive at part-throttle under 4,500 stock than it is now...i wonder if the 4k stall has anything to do with it.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd venture to say the diffrence your feeling is due to more back pressure. The X/magnaflow was to big, scavenged more, and had very unrestrictive mufflers. Not a very desirable combo for a stock 346. The same system in 2 1/4 or maybe 2 1/2 would have been much more responsive, and probablly make more power than what your working with now. Still trying to figure out why 90% of dual owners are running 3" on stock motors.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s346k
dude, if your *** dyno is that sensitive, you're in the wrong business. there is no way you'd be able to tell a gain of like 5 rwtq @ 3k. if the gain is even that much.

my car was much more responsive at part-throttle under 4,500 stock than it is now...i wonder if the 4k stall has anything to do with it.
wow.. ask my buddy who has a 2002 Z Kooks LTs + Custom 3" O/R H and 1 Chambers dumped.. he drove my car with the 3" O/R X + MagnaPacks.. he asked me 'ahh where is the low end tq at' i also drove his car too.. night and day difference.. not in my head man, you can feel that much of a difference
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i don't believe that, it's a lot of heresay. i agree that the mufflers were the problem, don't get me wrong, but no one that i have ever seen has done back-to-back dyno pulls with an H-pipe and X-pipe with the exact same setup, nor has anyone ran their car at the track with an X-pipe, converted over to an H-pipe with the same mufflers and exact same mods. so what you're saying about H>X may simply be untrue. i don't care what research has been done, no one has actually proven anything. all i know is cars feel significantly more torquey with an H-pipe over an X-pipe down low, and since this is our daily driver, we spend more time down low. that increase in torque will make it more pleasureable to drive under light throttle and also probably increase fuel economy since the engine is putting out more power down low and requires less revving to get moving. personally, i plan on going H-pipe. there's no point in being fast if you can't feel it or hear it.

where do you come up with this nonsense
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=420769
Old 10-01-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Well i am glad i helped you decide.. these vids sucked b.c of the weather i will get better vids..

will it all depends.. you can by and X and it may be cheaper.. my H was custom made little more expensive. i think that is what you are asking me??
Thanks. You answered my question. I figured an H would cost more because its custom.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by cws T/A
where do you come up with this nonsense
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=420769
lol this is absolutely ridiculous. first off:
The car in question is a 70 Olds 442 with a 442 ci stroker motor
this is a huge *** motor pushing tons of horsepower. we're talking about a stock 346 cubed LS1 - not even CLOSE to the same power output or power curve.

now for the big kicker that has me laughing:
however this car has a 5600 converter...
everyone knows that the X-pipe beats the H-pipe up top. this car at the very LEAST starts out at 5,600 rpm's. this is absolutely laughable. you found an example that totally neglected the entire powerband where the H-pipe is beneficial, not to mention an unrealistic powerband for a daily driver. we are not talking about a 800 rwhp oldsmobile with a 442ci big block with 6,000 rpm shift extensions. we are talking about a 320rwhp 346ci stock internals LS1 with shift extensions much lower and a completely different power curve. not even CLOSE to a relevant test. this link is complete and total spin. so i must ask you, where do you come up with this irrelevant nonsense?

again, on a stock LS1, no one has done back to back tests with H and X pipes with the same setup, at least to my knowledge. if anyone has, please show me. and if you're actually going to post a link, please make it a realistic, relevant link.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

great looking system.. i am actually waiting for my credit card to come in so i can get me an exhaust... ive been looking for pics to bring to the exhaust shop for examples, so thanks, the ones of the exhaust off the car should help a lot.. btw, it sounds orgasmic!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
lol this is absolutely ridiculous. first off:

this is a huge *** motor pushing tons of horsepower. we're talking about a stock 346 cubed LS1 - not even CLOSE to the same power output or power curve.

now for the big kicker that has me laughing:

everyone knows that the X-pipe beats the H-pipe up top. this car at the very LEAST starts out at 5,600 rpm's. this is absolutely laughable. you found an example that totally neglected the entire powerband where the H-pipe is beneficial, not to mention an unrealistic powerband for a daily driver. we are not talking about a 800 rwhp oldsmobile with a 442ci big block with 6,000 rpm shift extensions. we are talking about a 320rwhp 346ci stock internals LS1 with shift extensions much lower and a completely different power curve. not even CLOSE to a relevant test. this link is complete and total spin. so i must ask you, where do you come up with this irrelevant nonsense?

again, on a stock LS1, no one has done back to back tests with H and X pipes with the same setup, at least to my knowledge. if anyone has, please show me. and if you're actually going to post a link, please make it a realistic, relevant link.

Alot of people including me are over 430rwhp on this site. BTW I dont know how anyone can feel 5-10hp in a 350+rwhp car, thats 1.5 to a 3% gain, its all in their heads. Theres no way you can feel a 5-10hp difference.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had both H-pipe and X-pipe . Their is no ''seatofthepants'' torque advantage ,its all in your head . That comparison is an apples to apples test . Same car ,different exhaust , different outcomes. The track times tells that more avg power is being produced throughout the rpm range .
Old 10-01-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Thanks. You answered my question. I figured an H would cost more because its custom.

cool.. well git 'r' done then
Old 10-01-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DarkCloud
great looking system.. i am actually waiting for my credit card to come in so i can get me an exhaust... ive been looking for pics to bring to the exhaust shop for examples, so thanks, the ones of the exhaust off the car should help a lot.. btw, it sounds orgasmic!

Great.. i am glad you like.. Show my pics.. my exhasut guy does a great job!!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

truthfully i think my car seems faster now that its quiet... relatively quiet, its lt's and hooker than when it was lt's and loudmouth.. and i know the loudmouth probably flows a little better..
Old 10-01-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Arrow

Man i could not agree with you more on this statment.. when i had my x, below 3000 RPMs my car was a dog! But with the x 3000 RPMs and up, wow it pulled like a raped ape w/o a problem... now that i have the h.. wow i can not beleive all the tq that i gained back.. the car is soo mcuh more responisve at any RPM... makes it much funner to drive.. you jsut hit the gas a bit wow you are already moving.. now top end, i have no idea yet been raing since i converted to the h
I seriously doubt the h-pipe gave you any more low end.

The different mufflers and the different type of sound from the h-pipe is just fooling you into thinking you have more low end.

I've had Lanes True Duals with a h-pipe and a x-pipe, both 3" and the same 12" dynomax bullet mufflers dumped at the axle.

I changed one for the other three years back, and I noticed the x-pipe has a smoother high pitched sound while the h-pipe was a little bit louder and a more raw sound (which sounded good too, better than any y-pipe setup). I didn't notice any difference at all in the low end or the top end between the x and h-pipes. I did dyno my car with a Loudmouth and 3" y-pipe, h-pipe and x-pipe setups, and the h-pipe made the same peak numbers as my Loudmouth but the curves were better with the h-pipe (5-10). The x-pipe did even better in the curve than the h-pipe and Loudmouth (10-15) and made more at peak than the Loudmouth and h-pipe by 6rwhp and 3rwtorque.

I have the x-pipe and Loudmouth graphs, but the h-pipe graph I never scanned and finding the graph won't be easy.

Loudmouth and 3" Y-Pipe Setup
http://www.cobraeater.cz28.com/cgi-b...uth%20Dyno.jpg

Lane's True Duals 3" X-Pipe 12" Bullets
http://www.cobraeater.cz28.com/cgi-b...als%20Dyno.jpg

I still run Lane's True Duals with the x-pipe.

Last edited by Cobraeater; 10-01-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Looks good.... I'd like some ground clearence pics!!
Old 10-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Alot of people including me are over 430rwhp on this site. BTW I dont know how anyone can feel 5-10hp in a 350+rwhp car, thats 1.5 to a 3% gain, its all in their heads. Theres no way you can feel a 5-10hp difference.
you won't feel a 5hp gain, that is the point i'm trying to make. you feel the H-pipe because of the increased backpressure. what you WON'T feel is the extra 5 hp gained by the X-pipe over the H-pipe up top, but you likely will feel the H-pipe due to the added backpressure. H-pipes are far more responsive, making driving a far more pleasurable experience. i don't care if the X-pipe lowers your ET by a tenth (which is probably more than it really will on a stock car, shoot it may even cost you on a stock car) at the track, the H-pipe makes your car more fun to drive because it has better response and is more torquey. jonas has agreed with me. his car feels much better now with an H-pipe over the X-pipe. there is no point in being fast if you can't feel it. the fastest car in the world would suck if it wasn't fun to drive.

i can tell you one thing, with my cutout open, i've lost a LOT of low end. my car feels a lot slower and i've lost 1 mpg - and it's not due to driving harder, it's due to the loss of torque requiring my engine to rev higher. flow doesn't always equal power. i'd rather have bigger low end because daily driving, i'm spending 99% of my time under 3,000 rpm's.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-01-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any more vids and pics yet? I got around to learning how my camara took videos!!! I posted them up in here
Old 10-01-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a test in hot rod magazine about 5 years ago, they used a 10 second 70 oldsmobile(why i remember the article btw) but the only thing that was even on the dyno or the track to open headers was a x-pipe and race muffler setup. the true dual and the h pipe setup were off a tenth and was down to a X or open headers by as much as 15hp.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:35 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and jordan, i am done.. this one is a keeper

Cool, glad you like it. Now cam it!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:36 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How is that Sony Xplod working out for you?

Quick Reply: No More X... H Pipe OWNZ ALL!!!!