Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No More X... H Pipe OWNZ ALL!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carado1984
truthfully i think my car seems faster now that its quiet... relatively quiet, its lt's and hooker than when it was lt's and loudmouth.. and i know the loudmouth probably flows a little better..
Yup that's how it works, but its all in our heads. When I did my Longtubes, X-Pipe and Bullets with turndowns, I know there is a good 20-30rwhp there, but it felt slower driving around town with the greatly increased noise and vibrations. For some reason with us human beings, once you quiet things down and smooth them out it feels faster.

Its definetely more powerful at higher RPM's though.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Has anyone who ran it under the axle had any problems with clearence or lifting the car?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bene
My X duals don't sound like your X duals at all... But your H duals sounds like my X duals though... that's weird. LOL!
Same here man. Your H with flows sounds like my X with Bullets.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Alot of people including me are over 430rwhp on this site. BTW I dont know how anyone can feel 5-10hp in a 350+rwhp car, thats 1.5 to a 3% gain, its all in their heads. Theres no way you can feel a 5-10hp difference.
Its like saying you can feel power increase after installing a smooth bellow. Its all in your head. **** my car feels like it picks up power after I wash and wax it.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
**** my car feels like it picks up power after I wash and wax it.

they dont
Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oange ss
they dont
Only if they're red...
Old 10-01-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MNR-0
Only if they're red...
Thats not nice
Old 10-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Yea I bet this sounds 100X better in person, same thing when I took video of my exhaust, it doesn't even sound similar lol. But it still sounds great in your videos so it must be AWESOME in person!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got some vids of my setup in sig. Its close to what it really is. It makes it sound better than it is b/c it doesn't record the fluttery, rasp, popping sound.

I'm hoping to get my 1 chamber duals put on this friday. I'm definately getting a lot of video of it!!! Pics too.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carado1984
truthfully i think my car seems faster now that its quiet... relatively quiet, its lt's and hooker than when it was lt's and loudmouth.. and i know the loudmouth probably flows a little better..
That's because the butt-o-meter is more sensitive to sound and vibration than sense of movent.

One of the reasons people feel like they dropped low end torque when getting LT's. The sound and extra vibration overloads the senses.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Cool, glad you like it. Now cam it!

whoa.. that may take a little time now...
Old 10-02-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

For all of you..

It is not in my head that i gained low end TQ... My buddy that has a 2002 Z.. Kooks LTs + Custom 3" O/R H + 1 chambers dumped, drove my car when i had my QTP LTs + MagnaFlow 3" O/R X pipe + MagnaPacks muffs.. he said that driving the 2 cars is night and day difference.. and vise versa i drove his car and could feel a difference...

i will leave it at that
Old 10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats not good enough
a real torque seat of the pants difference is comparing lowspeed driving rpm of a singleplane carb intake vs a dual plane one .

fwiw your car had more backpressure then most X setups because you have it run out the back . If I was you I get those crimped bends replaced with manderal ones , their pretty cheap and will free up some lost power .I can find a dyno graph if you think im bullshittin.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

So what do these 1 chambers sound like compared to XR-1's?

And how well do they flow?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
For all of you..

It is not in my head that i gained low end TQ... My buddy that has a 2002 Z.. Kooks LTs + Custom 3" O/R H + 1 chambers dumped, drove my car when i had my QTP LTs + MagnaFlow 3" O/R X pipe + MagnaPacks muffs.. he said that driving the 2 cars is night and day difference.. and vise versa i drove his car and could feel a difference...

i will leave it at that
Slight correction Jonas...I drove your car with STOCK manifolds, no cats, 3" X-pipe, & two Magnaflows out the rear. And I obvioiusly haven't driven it since you just got the new set-up done. Anyway, I'm his friend with the stock-internal '02 that has Kooks LT's, no cats, 3" H-pipe, & two Flowmaster 1-chambers dumped before the axle. Only other modification on my ride is a Direct-Flo lid.

So...I'm not on here to argue with anyone over dyno #'s or anything like that (especially since I don't have any charts to actually compare). I will say, there felt like a fairly big difference in low-mid range torque with my set-up over his old one (stock mani's, no cats, 3" X, Magnaflows). His car felt noticeably softer down low. Like him, I'll leave it at that. Same thing when I ditched my highflow cats, 3" Y-pipe, & 3" cat-back for my current set-up. The car felt much more responsive and torquey down low (it took less throttle to roast the tires, pin me to the back of my seat, etc.). Literally felt like I switched from 3.42's to 3.73's in the rear.

Again, I have no idea the true #'s and how the X vs H actually compare down low (nor do I really care). For someone who's had two LS1's, driven several, & rode in many more, this is just my honest opinion. But regardless, I absolutely LOVE my 3" true duals and would never, ever go back to a Y-pipe set-up.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Longtube headers vs stock manifolds...there is your answer. You can't compare them.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Longtube headers vs stock manifolds...there is your answer. You can't compare them.
Well, I don't know how much LT headers impact "low-end" torque on a stock-motored car (always heard they add it), but that could be why. Keep in mind though as I just stated above, when I went from LT's, highflow cats, 3" Y, & GMMG to LT's, no cats, 3" H, & Flowmaster 10 series dumped, I noticed a big difference in low-mid range throttle response or torque. Again, it almost felt as if I changed out my gears (that's how much stronger it feels now as compared to my old "single" exhaust set-up). Maybe it's not as much of a difference as I'm letting on, but it sure feels it. Granted, this was going from a Y to an H...
Old 10-02-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Blah blah blah...

Clearance pictures!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Slight correction Jonas...I drove your car with STOCK manifolds, no cats, 3" X-pipe, & two Magnaflows out the rear. And I obvioiusly haven't driven it since you just got the new set-up done. Anyway, I'm his friend with the stock-internal '02 that has Kooks LT's, no cats, 3" H-pipe, & two Flowmaster 1-chambers dumped before the axle. Only other modification on my ride is a Direct-Flo lid.

So...I'm not on here to argue with anyone over dyno #'s or anything like that (especially since I don't have any charts to actually compare). I will say, there felt like a fairly big difference in low-mid range torque with my set-up over his old one (stock mani's, no cats, 3" X, Magnaflows). His car felt noticeably softer down low. Like him, I'll leave it at that. Same thing when I ditched my highflow cats, 3" Y-pipe, & 3" cat-back for my current set-up. The car felt much more responsive and torquey down low (it took less throttle to roast the tires, pin me to the back of my seat, etc.). Literally felt like I switched from 3.42's to 3.73's in the rear.

Again, I have no idea the true #'s and how the X vs H actually compare down low (nor do I really care). For someone who's had two LS1's, driven several, & rode in many more, this is just my honest opinion. But regardless, I absolutely LOVE my 3" true duals and would never, ever go back to a Y-pipe set-up.
thanks mike for chiming in.. i forgot that i had the stock manifolds on.. oh well.. you will never be able to convince anyone, i know what i fetl, you know what you felt.. what can you do??

NEXT..

on that notel, i have at the lowest point where the mufflers hang 3 1/8" clearance
Old 10-02-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Well, I don't know how much LT headers impact "low-end" torque on a stock-motored car (always heard they add it), but that could be why. Keep in mind though as I just stated above, when I went from LT's, highflow cats, 3" Y, & GMMG to LT's, no cats, 3" H, & Flowmaster 10 series dumped, I noticed a big difference in low-mid range throttle response or torque. Again, it almost felt as if I changed out my gears (that's how much stronger it feels now as compared to my old "single" exhaust set-up). Maybe it's not as much of a difference as I'm letting on, but it sure feels it. Granted, this was going from a Y to an H...
LOL, longtubes will increase power all through the rpm range. I dont understand where this "low end loss" theory really came from because it is 100% bullshit. You will gain everywhere although the gain is larger in the upper rpm range, which is how I think people seem to think they lose low end with longtubes. Once again "its all in the head"

Quick Reply: No More X... H Pipe OWNZ ALL!!!!