Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever tried Rapidfire plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever tried Rapidfire plugs?

I'm thinking of trying the platinum electrode tip Rapidfires. I've read some test reports on Rapidfires and they appear to do what they claim as far as smoothing the idle, reducing misfires, etc. With them, worrying about the pucks coming off the stock plugs would be a thing of the past. Also, the platinum tips should allow long life. Anyone have any general experience with Rapidfires of any kind? Thanks!
Ed
Old 04-02-2002, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone ever tried Rapidfire plugs?

Most people say not to use platinum tip sparkplugs on a high performance engine.

I suggest going with a set or NGK TR55. They work great!
Old 04-03-2002, 06:33 AM
10 Second Club

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by C5XTASY:
<strong>I'm thinking of trying the platinum electrode tip Rapidfires. I've read some test reports on Rapidfires and they appear to do what they claim as far as smoothing the idle, reducing misfires, etc. With them, worrying about the pucks coming off the stock plugs would be a thing of the past. Also, the platinum tips should allow long life. Anyone have any general experience with Rapidfires of any kind? Thanks!
Ed</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm running Rapidfire #8's in my car right now or I should say once I get it back with the new engine in it..Before the motor broke I installed them in the old one and the car ran great..The #8's are one step cooler then stock and to me compare themselves to the NGK TR6...

They are a copper based plug...
Old 04-03-2002, 06:57 AM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by So Slow:
[/qb]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm running Rapidfire #8's in my car right now or I should say once I get it back with the new engine in it..Before the motor broke I installed them in the old one and the car ran great..The #8's are one step cooler then stock and to me compare themselves to the NGK TR6...

They are a copper based plug...[/QB][/QUOTE]

Do you happen to know what the number of the Rapidfire plug, with a heat range equivalent to the stock plug, is? Thanks!
Ed
Old 04-03-2002, 08:25 AM
Teching In

There are two Rapid Fire #8 plugs available.
The 1st design (Blue #8 on the box) is cooper and is factory gapped at .035 and if opened to .045, will work.
(a friend put over 35 bottles of juice and some 10K miles on these without any problems)

The better choice is the (Red #8 on the box) #8 plug. They work very well and are in the same heat range as the NGK TR6's. They do not have a "puck" like the stock plugs.

The #12 is the "stock replacement"
Old 04-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

I am using the Rapidfire #12 plug now. I have a 2001 Z with only a SLP Lid as a mod. Currently there is 7000 miles on the clock. At 3000 miles I put in NGK TR55 plugs gapped at 0.55. I immediately had "thottle ping".
Thinking I broke a plug or a wire, I re-installed new NGK plugs and new stock wires later that week. I gapped this set at 0.59 and still had the throttle pinging. I left things alone and lived with it until a few weeks ago when I read a post where the Rapidfires had helped someone with their pinging problem.
I installed the Rapidfires and the pinging is gone. The NGKs are a great plug (smooth idle etc.) but just did not seem to work for my application. I do not know why the Rapidfires would cure my pinging. I know they have a platinum tip, are the stock heat range etc.
Good luck on your choice.
Mike
Old 04-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Launching!

It appears #12 is the stock heat range platinum Rapidfire that I want. What should the gap be set at? Thanks!
Ed
Old 04-04-2002, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by C5XTASY:
<strong>It appears #12 is the stock heat range platinum Rapidfire that I want. What should the gap be set at? Thanks!
Ed</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would open them up to .039..I run the #8's in the blue box to clear up the thread above and I have them gapped at .039 and all is well..But yes the #12's are the stock heat ranged plug...