Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing motor mounts make baby Jesus cry

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing motor mounts make baby Jesus cry

Seriously, I want my car to just die in a fire right now. I had the drivers side all mounted up, bolted up the passenger side but I can't get it to line up in the cradle for the life of me. I've pryed and jacked on every point that I could possibly try and I'm still at my wits end trying to get this stupid thing lined up. What I'm figuring is that the new mount is so stiff it's not giving me enough movement that I need to line up the pass side.

I've called it quits for tonight, but my next run at it I'm going to take out the bolt on the drives side and try to line up the pass side first and see if I have a better point to pry on on the drivers side.

If anyone has any tips to throw my way I'm more then open for them.

Here's some pics of the old ones.

This is what 96k mile motor mounts look like

Looks like it was running on bare metal for a while

Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, when I did mine I could get the passenger side in every time, and the drivers side wasnt gonna do anything for me. SO, the bolt on the drivers side got ground down to a fine point with a grinder....got it?...take that motha and file the tip of the bolt to where it looks like you're installing a threaded nail back into it.
Heres the funny thing, with the passenger side bolt in, the only way the drivers side bolt would go in was from the back. You remember how you pulled it out toward the front of the car? Well try it from the back. You want to go with whatever side is the closest to being lined up. I had to get another set of eyes to look into the hole and tell me when it looked like it was lined up pretty close. It just so happened to be the back side. So, that threaded nail got beat into place. Once it started thru the cradle and into the mount it was home free...with the help of a crap load of extenstions and a hammer....I did it with the headers and starter on the car the entire time. The only way a hammer was reaching the head of that bolt was with about 2 feet of extensions to beat on. But thats what got it in for me. Just think though, once that bolt is in you're home free. Thats the last thing that really needs to be done. The rest is all reassembly. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Okay, when I did mine I could get the passenger side in every time, and the drivers side wasnt gonna do anything for me. SO, the bolt on the drivers side got ground down to a fine point with a grinder....got it?...take that motha and file the tip of the bolt to where it looks like you're installing a threaded nail back into it.
Heres the funny thing, with the passenger side bolt in, the only way the drivers side bolt would go in was from the back. You remember how you pulled it out toward the front of the car? Well try it from the back. You want to go with whatever side is the closest to being lined up. I had to get another set of eyes to look into the hole and tell me when it looked like it was lined up pretty close. It just so happened to be the back side. So, that threaded nail got beat into place. Once it started thru the cradle and into the mount it was home free...with the help of a crap load of extenstions and a hammer....I did it with the headers and starter on the car the entire time. The only way a hammer was reaching the head of that bolt was with about 2 feet of extensions to beat on. But thats what got it in for me. Just think though, once that bolt is in you're home free. Thats the last thing that really needs to be done. The rest is all reassembly. Good luck!

That's a great tip! I'm going to do exactley that and see if that can't help me out a little bit. BTW, everything is moved out of the way right now, I have the starter off, the ac compressor resting on the sway bar AND the alternator is just kind of hanging out right now.

Good stuff! Keep it coming
Old 05-01-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

I've heard they are a bitch to install. From what I have read, I'm already not looking forward to it .
Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Aw it aint that bad. Just follow Lunas install guide and do some searching if you get stuch. If you really get stuck then just start a distress thread, lol. You'll get the answer you need. Its well worth it though. I must say that my Pacesetter ORY hasnt banged yet!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know when I changed over to some poly mounts, it took me all damn day, 2 b-b-que sessions and an 18 pack of beer....
Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

I agree. I think I had 18 hours in my poly mount install. But, I refused to take the headers and starter off because I am not a woman.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

I am thinking of just waiting until I get headers and doing them at the same time.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Best idea yet.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

yea, I didnt take my headers off either..
Old 05-02-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Problem is, I have a 9", torque arm, motor mounts, trans mount, clutch, bellhousing, and driveshaft sitting in my garage that I would like to put all in at the same time. I'd hate to put all that off just to wait to get headers so that I can put my motor mounts in without trouble. What should I do lol?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

do one side at a time, dont take both mounts off at the same time, this will make for one hell of a job to get it all lined up......wont help you, but may help future motor mounters who read this.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Problem is, I have a 9", torque arm, motor mounts, trans mount, clutch, bellhousing, and driveshaft sitting in my garage that I would like to put all in at the same time. I'd hate to put all that off just to wait to get headers so that I can put my motor mounts in without trouble. What should I do lol?
do the transmount whenever, takes 5 minutes, do the clutch and bellhousing together (obviously), do the ds, 9" and tq arm together, and save the motor mount for when the headers go on.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

You mean you will have a 9" before you have headers??!??!!? Awesome! You NEED to post a pic of the stock exhaust all wrapped around the 9"!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Lol, well it's my daily driver and I'm a college student. Id hate to **** away 700 bucks repairing a 10 bolt because I went for headers/cam/sticky tires first. I figure I'll have at least a cam and headers a few months after the rear end, might as well do the expensive part first. When I bought the car, it had a 3" spintech exhaust on it. I found an SLP dual/dual that will be going on the same time as the headers. So It'll be headers-catted y- cutout - dual/dual in addition to what I listed above. After that is done, the cam is the easy and cheap part IMO. I would think that you should do poly motor and trans mounts at the same time. The way I see it, if my motor mounts are shot, my trans mount is likely shot too. If I put a new trans mount in, but the motor mounts are bad, wouldnt that put a little unnecessary stress on the trans?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that sucks man, we just did mine when i installed my motor

easiest way ive done them is to get the car high....drop the headers and push the motor up just enough to do it
Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just did mine this weekend and it took me and a friend 2 hrs to change the intake manifold and get the whole exhaust off but then took another 4 hrs to get the damn motor mounts in and out....

Quick Reply: Changing motor mounts make baby Jesus cry