Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a better air cleaner lid than SLP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there a better air cleaner lid than SLP?

I was working on my 99 WS6 ram air and I noticed what looked like a fine layer of dust in my throttle body bellow. To me it seems like it is bypassing the air fliter. I have a SLP lid now with a K&N. Is there a better sealing lid on the market?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

I also have problems with my lid sealing right. I have had trouble with leaves and sticks (small of course) collecting on the screen in front of the maf.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

IMHO, from the lid I use and others I've seen, any lid is better than an SLP. Those damn things are so flimsy and cheap. They don't fit worth a **** either.

Just get anything over the SLP lid.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure you have the lid installed properly? i thought i had a problem too when i bought the car. the kid said the lid doesn't want to stay shut and i would get small debris in my mass air flow sensor as well. the front of the lid has to be BEHIND the lip on the lower air box assembly.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

funny cause my slp fits perfectly fine, it seems to seal good too.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 PM
uno
On The Tree

mine fits and seals perfectly too after i went from the k&n panel back to a paper filter.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by uno
mine fits and seals perfectly too after i went from the k&n panel back to a paper filter.
yeah thats probably the trick, get rid of those junk K&N filters. I run a paper filter.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cals400ex
are you sure you have the lid installed properly? i thought i had a problem too when i bought the car. the kid said the lid doesn't want to stay shut and i would get small debris in my mass air flow sensor as well. the front of the lid has to be BEHIND the lip on the lower air box assembly.

My buddy has that problem with his SLP. The clips pop open, it leaks, and his MAF gets filthy.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

It seems like its either a perfect fit, or people have problems. Mine fits like a glove and I couldnt be happier. On my friends WS6 the clips would never stay down and would pop right off. Like Brad said maybe try the paper filter? Though I have the K&N and its perfect. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F-117HWK
It seems like its either a perfect fit, or people have problems. Mine fits like a glove and I couldnt be happier. On my friends WS6 the clips would never stay down and would pop right off. Like Brad said maybe try the paper filter? Though I have the K&N and its perfect. Good luck.

Why should you have to go to a filter that doesn't perform as well to get your lid to fit?

I have a Direct-Flo lid, K&N, with a FTRA jammed under it. I'm also using that cheap *** Fernco bellows. My **** is sealed all around, snaps nice and snug with a loud click, and I don't get any twisting, binding, or cracking under throttle.

I couldn't be happier with my intake setup.

Direct-Flo achieved highest gains on a GMHTP comparison too.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

the paper stock filter has been proven to flow just as well if not better for applications up to like 500hp so I dunno how it would not perform as well. Plus mine fits perfectly with basically the exact same setup u have just a diff lid so I dunno what the problem is.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F-117HWK
the paper stock filter has been proven to flow just as well if not better for applications up to like 500hp so I dunno how it would not perform as well. Plus mine fits perfectly with basically the exact same setup u have just a diff lid so I dunno what the problem is.
Ok? So it flows good, keep on replacing your paper air filters if you want to. Why do you have a K&N in your sig if the stocker is so good?

The problem is it's a shitty lid. I haven't personally seen one dude running an SLP lid that said they liked it. THE LID COMES WITH A BIG HOLE IN THE SIDE OF IT!

From what I know, practically everything with an SLP name on it is crap, I refuse to buy anything SLP.

If he's having fitment issues with the lid, then the lid is clearly the problem.

Sorry to bash your SLP lid dude.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Not sure what you mean by a "big hole in the side of it". I have a 98/99 SLP lid on my car and it fits pretty good. I do use a little extra caution when reinstalling it after removing it to make sure it fits good. It is possible to install it in such a way that allows unfiltered air to enter. So I'm a firm believer that there is a degree of human error to it, not necessarily a bad lid.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Ok? So it flows good, keep on replacing your paper air filters if you want to. Why do you have a K&N in your sig if the stocker is so good?

The problem is it's a shitty lid. I haven't personally seen one dude running an SLP lid that said they liked it. THE LID COMES WITH A BIG HOLE IN THE SIDE OF IT!

From what I know, practically everything with an SLP name on it is crap, I refuse to buy anything SLP.

If he's having fitment issues with the lid, then the lid is clearly the problem.

Sorry to bash your SLP lid dude.
Because like u said I dont want to have to keep replacing it duh

Most people on here I have ever seen put the SLP fitment way above anything else so I dont know who u have been talking to, maybe people who didnt install it right? But mine was ABSOLUTLY perfect fitment and build quality wise couldnt ask for more.

Are u there installing the lid? do u know its the lid without a doubt? yeaaaaa...not saying its not but unless ur there u can only offer suggestions and speak from experience, and my experience is that the SLP is unrivaled by anything I have seen so to each his own. U dont like it obviously, cool.

No offense taken cuz mine fits perfectly so bash all u want on something that is fine

Oh and the SLP LM was perfect as well so I guess there is 1 more thing thats not a piece of crap huh?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starion
Not sure what you mean by a "big hole in the side of it". I have a 98/99 SLP lid on my car and it fits pretty good. I do use a little extra caution when reinstalling it after removing it to make sure it fits good. It is possible to install it in such a way that allows unfiltered air to enter. So I'm a firm believer that there is a degree of human error to it, not necessarily a bad lid.
My buddies has a hole in it to connect the AIR system. He had to plug it.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM
uno
On The Tree

it comes with a premade plug for that or at least mine did new. maybe he bought it used or something. anyways who cares. a lid is a lid. i thought my slp fitment sucked but then when i tore my k&n filter cleaning it, bought a paper one and it fit like a glove after that. And from what i've read on our cars the k&n doesn't give any more performance gain than the paper one so i'm going to buy paper ones. 10 bux every now and then. Same as eating at hardee's nowadays.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Hey joblo, side note, but what Kooks pieces did u go with? Im trying to get some in the next month or so and am thinking the race headers with catted Y (all stainless of course)

Sorry to be off topic
Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Launching!

The pre-drilled air hole is for 00-02' models. Your friend must have have a 98/99' car and using a 00'-02' Lid. That's not SLP's fault.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starion
The pre-drilled air hole is for 00-02' models. Your friend must have have a 98/99' car and using a 00'-02' Lid. That's not SLP's fault.
Nah, he has an '02 Camaro. He doesn't like the hole and opted for an air cleaner. But if you remove your AIR after purchasing an 00-02....

Just another reason to not buy it.

The original poster asked "Is there a better lid..."

It has been dyno proven and through many customer reviews that YES! There are better lids.

Geesh!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like most people that have problems with the SLP lid have a WS6.

Quick Reply: Is there a better air cleaner lid than SLP?