Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust suggestions

well i'm trying to pick out an exhaust system for my '02 SS and need some suggestions. i plan on running LT's, ORY, and a cat-back. i'm looking for a powerful aggressive tone without being too raspy. i really like gmmg, but have never heard it in person and i think it might be too raspy when matched with the lt's and ory. i'm also thinking about a magnaflow cat back with the lt's and ory. what do you guys think?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

magnaflow is quiet..........it will **** you off........i have heard alot of ls1 exhaust setups and for no rasp gmmg is the way to go...........its not as bad as some..../// stay the hell away from slp if you dont want rasp..........ls1 will be raspy no matter what... but gmmg will make it very subtle...almost not there.....but you have to remember you have an ls1......... you will be very very very pleased with gmmg.... i have chambered mufflers on my car...... and ive got lt and off road y...... its good.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

If you would like I'd say give a custom true dual system done. Most effective exhauat setup for these cars. Plus the sound is very nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLl-Nt-3KaM
good luck on your pursuit

Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

first off.. stay AWAY from slp.. Although they're very popular for their low price, combined with lt's they sound like supershit! Gmmg is DEFINITELY the way to go. Some claim rasp when combined with your setup, but very minimal rasp, and mostly at high rpms. Trust me, it won't be anything that'll bug you. ... If that doesn't seem to do it for you, go with a custom DUAL... will cost you about 500ish installed.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Oh, i don't know if you're willing to wait, but GMMG most likely will be having group discounts on their exhausts around Christmas time. I personally can't wait, they're worth every dollar.... can't go wrong.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

umm, the GMMG is raspy as a **** with an ORY. Anybody that says otherwise doesnt know rasp from their ***.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

It's the least rasp you'll get... from the top catback setups out there.. that's for damn sure. May i suggest a catt'd Y !
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Full-Force
umm, the GMMG is raspy as a **** with an ORY. Anybody that says otherwise doesnt know rasp from their ***.
UMM, depends on your setup. i have the gmmg, ARH LT's and ORY and it's freakin' incredible!! i think alot of the rasp is from cheap setups with crappy merges. all i can say is if the way mine sounds is what you guys call too raspy, then make mine a double! i have not heard anything even comparable and i've heard true duals w/dynomax, flowmasters, etc. superb ground clearance, no drone and screams at WOT... just my 02.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Full-Force
i think what the guy is going for is the anti slp sound.....crackle kakle crap......

you will be satisfied with a gmmg its not raspy so to speak...(slp sounding)
basically, a chambered exhaust muffler looks like a swollen section of pipe with "dents" in it. The "rasp" will be affected by alot of things including the y pipe. the smoother the two exhaust vibrations come together in the y the smoother the flow and sound waves will be reducing rasp....exhaust note is subjective, so get what you like best in terms of sound since its you who are going to be driving the car around.

straight through setups like LM are regarded as one of the top flowing cat backs. But also known as the most raspy due to its lack of sound wave absortion and excessive rasp and drone.... Flowmaster is one of the worst flowing catbacks out there, despite its reputation. Hooker and Magnaflow are great budget cat backs, but on the quieter side. Corsa, Borla, and GMMG round out the top of the premium spectrum. I have heard all of them and gmmg is the least raspy of all.... i do think everyone will agree...

The chambered gmmg muffler has a tube inside of a tube so to speak and the inner tube is preforated...(has little holes in it)....the exhaust gases and the sound waves enter through the center tube and expand to the chambers formed by the dents....when that sound bounces off and returns back into the main tube and exits the muffler the sound waves cancel each other out. this is called destructive interference. depending on the setup the muffler is designed to create waves that cause as much destructive interference as necessary to amplify pure engine sound and rid unnecessary noise such as rasp and crackle.
each chamber contains a specific volume of air and has a specific length that is calculated to produce a wave that cancels out a certain frequency of sound.... rasp is a higher frequency noise than pure exhaust note, and is ekiminated through destructive inference.

If you have lt's ory, and gmmg catback....you will not be unhappy...... anyone who thinks otherwise dosent know rasp from their ***
Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^yeah, what he said
Old 09-18-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hooker sounds like clean, rasp-free, sexy horsepower through long tubes and ORY. Def. less raspy than the GMMG and Magnaflow.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow! at other forums i would have to wait months for these kinds of replies lol. i do think i'll go gmmg with some good quality lt's and ory. and do you have anymore info about gmmg's sale that coming up? cuz i'll def wait til then if i have to.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Hooker sounds like clean, rasp-free, sexy horsepower through long tubes and ORY. Def. less raspy than the GMMG and Magnaflow.
I would have to agree with the hooker comment..... i forgot to mention them...hooker does sound good....i personally prefer the chambered approach but if i did install another system i would have to say that it would most likely be hooker.....
rasp is kindof subjective.......theres really no way to tell what you really like untill you actually hear it....... computer clips dont really do justice do to the microphone recording ability that is on a hand held camera.......its like going to the movie theater, watching a movie, but instead of watching it in dolby surround and **** like that, playing the audio through a cassette recorder.
...where im from there are car cruises every weekend.... i would find ojne of those and hunt down the ls1 guys and pick their brains...most people wont mind reving their exhaust for a stocker wanting some personal insight for a mod purchase.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

will the hookers rust over time? from what i've read they have stainless tips but what about the rest of the system?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JohnnyC

I have a Hooker on my 99 T/A and its perfect. Can't wait to go w/ headers. It should sound really good.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

how would pacesetter lt's and ory sound with bolra cat back with no plates ???
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dutinsss
will the hookers rust over time? from what i've read they have stainless tips but what about the rest of the system?
Yes, the Hooker will rust after 7 years, at which point you just spend another 300 bucks and get a new one.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sl99ls1
how would pacesetter lt's and ory sound with bolra cat back with no plates ???

i have that setup right now and love it especially at WOT. once i started to cam it ill probably change my setup too much rasp for me by then IMO.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

well hookers just might be the way to go. what about their headers and ory's? will they rust over time?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

dont worry about rust.....it will take along time.......you probably wont even own the car when it begins to rust....thats my personal opinion.