Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After FAST/TB installed, loud screeching noise coming from intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After FAST/TB installed, loud screeching noise coming from intake

When I do a cold start of my car, there will be a fairly loud screeching noise coming from my engine. If I put my head by my air filter, the sound is almost deafening so I know it's coming from within my engine. The sound goes away after about 30 seconds and doesn't come back until my next cold start.

Is this a side effect of having a FAST in take and after-market TB? Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never heard that and recently I helped someone do this. Possibly its been there before and now your hearing it. OR if something was dropped it there.

Check your belts.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have never heard that and recently I helped someone do this. Possibly its been there before and now your hearing it. OR if something was dropped it there.

Check your belts.
My belts are fine...as I said the noise is coming directly from the intake.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gh0st
When I do a cold start of my car, there will be a fairly loud screeching noise coming from my engine. If I put my head by my air filter, the sound is almost deafening so I know it's coming from within my engine. The sound goes away after about 30 seconds and doesn't come back until my next cold start.

Is this a side effect of having a FAST in take and after-market TB? Has anyone else experienced this?
it just might be one of your belts . but for the hell of it. check and retighten all of your intake manifold and throttle body bolts. There have been several problems with the way the FAST intake sits on your engine. They don't sit flush and the sound you might be hearing is a air leak
Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AIR setup. It comes on at cold start. Runs for a short time and then shuts off. I don't know though.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by RZRSEDGE
AIR setup. It comes on at cold start. Runs for a short time and then shuts off. I don't know though.
AIR? Not sure what that is.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Launching!

I think you have a air leak somewhere, check all the nuts and bolts one more time. after your car warms up the intake will expand making for a tighter seal and that is when the noise stops
Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st
My belts are fine...as I said the noise is coming directly from the intake.
Aside from reminding you that you cannot use the stock intake valley bolts, you need the allen headed capped bolts. It can/will crack the intake.

From the other responses it can be the A.I.R. system OR what I like better is the intake bolts. I had to go over the whole set of bolts 5 times before hitting the proper tq spec. It would compress like crazy. MAYBE its not TQ to spec and once the engine heats up it creates the seal.

LASTLY, there is the Brake Booster, MAP sensor, and HVAC line that needs to be on there securely. on a 90mm there is no clip for the MAF, we used RTV and let it set overnight.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Aside from reminding you that you cannot use the stock intake valley bolts, you need the allen headed capped bolts. It can/will crack the intake.

From the other responses it can be the A.I.R. system OR what I like better is the intake bolts. I had to go over the whole set of bolts 5 times before hitting the proper tq spec. It would compress like crazy. MAYBE its not TQ to spec and once the engine heats up it creates the seal.

LASTLY, there is the Brake Booster, MAP sensor, and HVAC line that needs to be on there securely. on a 90mm there is no clip for the MAF, we used RTV and let it set overnight.
I'll go over the bolts. What exactly is A.I.R? Is that something I will have on a 2004 GTO?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Mine does the same thing. It is the IAC, idle air control valve on the throttle body. Normal, way more open cold to give faster ilde when cold.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 04gtod
Mine does the same thing. It is the IAC, idle air control valve on the throttle body. Normal, way more open cold to give faster ilde when cold.
Sweet! Makes perfect sense to me!

Anyone know what I'm supposed to torque the intake bolts to? They were fairly easy to turn just now and I didn't want to tighten them and break something.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe it is 7 inch lbs. At least that is what it is for the stock intakes.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by transam69230
I believe it is 7 inch lbs. At least that is what it is for the stock intakes.
Geez that's not very much

Just looked it up and found this article that states:

"The intake manifold bolts must be torqued to 89 in-lbs. With that done, reinstall your air intake, start the car up, and check for fuel or vacuum leaks."
Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Mine does the exact same thing. Once the motor warms up the noise is totally gone. I believe its the air rushing thru the machined IAC valve passages giving it a whistling sound. Mine is really load with the FTRA.

One of these days I'm going to pull off the TB to enlarge the port and smooth out the corners going into the IAC valve. I may also increase the hole size in the TB blade to match what I had done to the stock TB. With the cam I need a little more cold air bypass and I think that makes it sound worse.

Dee Jay
Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 494 Likes on 345 Posts

The 04 GTO does NOT have AIR or EGR, and startup noise as described is absolutely NOT normal. Did you remove the engine lift bracket from the back of the passenger side head? The FAST will not seat properly with that in place.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

The AIR passage leading to the IAC Valve is way smaller on my 90MM NW Throttle Body than the stock TB opening. On my Camaro if I pop the lid off and listen it is definitely coming from the TB area. I would double check that bracket for your GTO though.

I'm 95% sure the IAC passage is the source of the noise. Guess I'll have to whip out the ol dremel tool to test my theory. I'll let you know how it works out.

Dee Jay
Old 04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Okay i guess i was wrong it is 7 ft lbs, it been awhile since i have done an intake swap.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by transam69230
Okay i guess i was wrong it is 7 ft lbs, it been awhile since i have done an intake swap.
I think 7 ft lbs is correct, but you said 7 INCH pounds earlier
Old 04-12-2008, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Got home early tonight and decided to work on my TB. I enlarged the hole and smoothed out the sharp corners where the IAC passages meet. I also drilled out the hole in the TB blade to 5/32 from 1/8. Cleaned everything up and bolted it back on. The noise is only about 30% of what it was before and it goes away much sooner.

The hole size I used was still smaller than what I used on the stock TB. Production tolerances may stack up causing a tighter fit between the TB blade and the bore of the TB which requires more air bypass thru the IAC passage on some cars. In my case causing a loud whistling sound at start up.

Worked for me, hope it helps you out.

Dee Jay
Old 05-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by gametech
The 04 GTO does NOT have AIR or EGR, and startup noise as described is absolutely NOT normal. Did you remove the engine lift bracket from the back of the passenger side head? The FAST will not seat properly with that in place.
Hell if I know, I didn't install it and I'm sure it was done though. The problem also goes away once the engine warms up a little.

Quick Reply: After FAST/TB installed, loud screeching noise coming from intake