Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Found Trouble Descreening the MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone Found Trouble Descreening the MAF?

I've been thinking about descreening the MAF. Is it able to come out in one peice so I can put it back in for smog? And if I pull it out will it throw a code or cause my engine to run bad after a while?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just descreening it won't throw a code or make the car run bad. but if you remove the fins your car might throw a code for running too lean.. you'll feel some improved throttle response from descreening it. you can't just take it out in one piece though, you have to cut it out. you can also look into the slp maf. i think on theres you can take the screen in and out in one piece whenever you choose..
Old 10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M6 cars have no problem with this.... The A4s do have a problem with that mod

I am an M6 car and i have had my MAF descreened since 2007

Just an FYI guys, ALL 85mm MAF that corvettes have fromt he factory have NO SCREEN

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 10-02-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine was removed in '04 and I've never had any trouble with it. When it got tuned for the cam the A/F was spot on until it started running out of injector up top. Like the guy above me said, M6's don't seem to be affected by it that much.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an A4 and when I did it I got a MAF malfunction code
Old 10-01-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

mine came descreened when i bought it and never a problem...
Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Descreened mine and got the car tuned later on without issue. Now that I bought ported MAF ends without the divider and no screen the car seems to run just about the same, and no check engine light. Will be getting retuned for new heads/cam in a couple weeks so I'm not too worried about it.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

i cant seem to find it but there was a thread on here about someone saying not to descreen your maf and he had some pictures of his maf screen and it had leaves, debris, and a bunch of other junk stuck to it.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
i cant seem to find it but there was a thread on here about someone saying not to descreen your maf and he had some pictures of his maf screen and it had leaves, debris, and a bunch of other junk stuck to it.
Yeah..I saw it also--I'm leaving mine in.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't descreen it. It's there for a reason, to direct the air in straight.

That, and if you slip you can stab one of the hot wires. Then it's new MAF time.

Also, like said above, it acts as an air filter if yours would happen to fail or you get a leak somewhere.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a popular free mod. Some have reported a rough idle after. I removed the screen on my 94, 99 and current 02 with no problems.
I did try ported poly MAF ends on the 02 and that causes a problem with the idle (although throttle response was great) so I removed them and put the OEM MAF with removed screen back in and it's been fine since. Don't forget to purchase CRC's MAF cleaner for optimal performance
Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
I wouldn't descreen it. It's there for a reason, to direct the air in straight.

That, and if you slip you can stab one of the hot wires. Then it's new MAF time.

Also, like said above, it acts as an air filter if yours would happen to fail or you get a leak somewhere.
Exactly, it is in there to direct the air evenly over the MAF resistors. I wouldn't remove it.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
M6 cars have no problem with this.... The A4s do have a problem with that mod

I am an M6 car and i have had my MAF descreened since 2007
Some people have problem's with it, some do not. I had de-screened it 3 years ago by punching the wafer of a screen out from the opposite side with a screw driver, installed an SLP lid, and did the free ram air all at the same time. There were and are no problems or codes at all. The engine responds like it should and passes smog without it to this day.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
I'm pretty sure an air filter is there to prevent this....what was he doing rolling around with no filter?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
I'm pretty sure an air filter is there to prevent this....what was he doing rolling around with no filter?
he still had his air filter in. somehow, someway,magically that **** still got through. could have been a cracked airbox or a leak somewhere
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i found pine needles stuck all over mine. not gonna take it out. i think i did pop it out once just for fun and it came out in one piece...i think.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:51 AM
TECH Resident

the screen straightens the air across the MAF wires to get a more accurate reading of the mass of air going into your engine. The problem with descreening it is that this air going through the MAF is now tumbling and spinning and turning and going every which way. With that the sensor does not get an accurate reading and your injectors can start adding or subtracting fuel on a whim for what seems to be no reason. This gives you the rough idle or stalling, etc.

Some guys have good luck with it since the air flow to the intake is relatively straight once it's past the filter lid, but even still once descreened the maf will not read as accurately though unless your table is recalibrated inside the ECU. For the gains you get compared to the trouble it could cause, it's not really worth it to me.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

It's a bad move all around to descreen for the reasons mentioned, plus you really need to reprogram/ recalibrate your MAF table to match the different airflow, but the airflow is inconsistent and makes that almost impossible.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
im with him^^^, try it dont be scared, i took mine out 5 years ago and ive put 40,000 miles on it since then. i noticed better throttle response and no change in idle. just run a good filter and check it every once and a while, i have never had anything get stuck to it or any kind of issues at all. mine is a m6 and i did it on my friends a4 about 4 years ago, neither one of us have had any problems.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's probably an equal amount of people on either side of this question. My experience has been that I preffer to have the screen. IMO, the screens' main purpose is to increase air speed across the resistors during low throttle conditions (smaller area, faster speed). Of course along with the faster low throttle speed airflow comes higher pressure (restriction) when you don't want it @ higher throttle.

I actually went back to a screened 85mm MAF after using an open (no-screen) 100mm MAF because the throttle was easier to tune & I had trouble dialing in a consistant VE table. The 100mm MAF was home made. So, don't take the comment as a statement that 100mm MAF's are troublesome. Am confident that if I were to fork over the cash for an aftermarket 100mm MAF, it would be just as easy to tune as a stocker.

Anyway, you can get away w/ descreening, but, first decide what it is you're trying to accomplish & go from there. Maybe a larger TB & intake opening are better choices to make before de-screening. I don't see your mods. So, I don't know if this has been done. Good-luck