Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why run a big cam in a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
No, but a properly spec'd cam for the combo will always run better than sticking the biggest cam that will clear in a car with stock heads like I see a lot doing. I had that mindset once too though.
I agree with this quote. Its fun having having my set up and beating guys with mid/huge cams
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bruser's LS1
I agree with this quote. Its fun having having my set up and beating guys with mid/huge cams
Me too, especially on stock head stock intake cars.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Don't get me wrong. Nothing sounds better then hearing a large cam idling at the light. But for a DD on the street, I'd prefer my set up. I wouldn't go bigger for the street, but rather find the right comb. Just my .02
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have timeslips?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

i can say this i have had the stock cam it was ok, then i've upgraded to a hot cam that was better and then a ls1 speed cam 595-609 on a 111 lsa later upgraded to my current lg xx cam i can say its the best cam i've had i currently have slicks and skinnys on the street with 456 gears it pulls good on the street with no problem my nx project is getting a built motor that way i can rev it all the way through the band and i plan on getting much bigger cam i really don't think my cam is that big but thats me. i think if if the tune is right on and the proper setup should be no problem i wish more shops would not steer people away from bigger cams thinking they are too big i've gone through all these cams because i listened to the shops. i almost listen to the shops when i got my dana 60 they said i should get a tru trac posi becuase anything else is too much for street driving at the last minute i ordered a locker but now i wish i had gotten a spool and saved weight and money and added more strength. especially since i want to pull off abs
Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by troopercar
you have timeslips?
Nope. My car will not be seeing a strip until a 9inch or 12bolt is installed. Until then, its from a roll racing.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. My car will not be seeing a strip until a 9inch or 12bolt is installed. Until then, its from a roll racing.
So then we'll see if you beat the guys with big cams? When my car is done in a couple of weeks I'll post vids and slips. Think you'll be faster?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

So then we'll see if you beat the guys with big cams? When my car is done in a couple of weeks I'll post vids and slips. Think you'll be faster?
Prob not, but not here to say I'm the fastest or slowest. Just stating my point and dropping my .02 in the bucket.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you think your BIG cam will be faster than me...

I dont think so...so quit running your mouth...

someone is always faster
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

what times did you run?

Originally Posted by lemons12
i drive anywhere between 30-60 miles day.. soon to be more cause i got a job a little further away..

as far as just saying it doesnt both me.. when i drive, say to the track (1 1/2hours)... yea it gets old.. but i have took trips in my buddies 228 car also.. and it gets just as annoying.. mine is quieter than his on the inside, so his gets old even faster than mine....

it doesnt both me one bit to drive mine every day.. as long as im not in it for a full 2 hours at a time.. i like diving in the city more than highway drives...

i would NEVER trade my cam just because of "driveability".. wouldnt want it to affect my times at the strip..

it would DEFINITELY bother me if my track times were what they are, but as long as im running the times, i love it!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313

someone is always faster
chris i gotta figure out how to pickup the 5.5 tenths I need to match your stock internals time lol. i figure 1-2 tenths from the ram-air intake (i destroyed it bottoming out so I didn't get to run it at the track). that still leaves at least 3.5 tenths. i have mid-lengths, that's gonna hurt me a little bit. i did just make some adjustments to the tune that I think might pickup another tenth. still 2.5 tenths, maybe some more weight reduction, but really i need to nail some sick 60fts, haven't broken 1.75 on the motor, although i think i figured out why. don't think the car was going right into PE mode off the line.

oh well, as far as cams go, i've heard a lot of good things about the ms3, although i think something in the 230 range is solid too. is it just me or does it seem like there aren't too many cams in the mid 230 range? seems like they skip from 228 to 238 plus?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

pm me your setup, and what times & DA you ran in and we will figure it out...

Originally Posted by maggiemike
chris i gotta figure out how to pickup the 5.5 tenths I need to match your stock internals time lol. i figure 1-2 tenths from the ram-air intake (i destroyed it bottoming out so I didn't get to run it at the track). that still leaves at least 3.5 tenths. i have mid-lengths, that's gonna hurt me a little bit. i did just make some adjustments to the tune that I think might pickup another tenth. still 2.5 tenths, maybe some more weight reduction, but really i need to nail some sick 60fts, haven't broken 1.75 on the motor, although i think i figured out why. don't think the car was going right into PE mode off the line.

oh well, as far as cams go, i've heard a lot of good things about the ms3, although i think something in the 230 range is solid too. is it just me or does it seem like there aren't too many cams in the mid 230 range? seems like they skip from 228 to 238 plus?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

interesting replies and opinions in this thread..what it comes down to is personal preference..for me personally i would give up some HP for better gas mileage and drivability..and longevity..
sorry,but a big cam is not going to drive like stock or near stock..a good tuner can tame it somewhat and make it more drivable at part throttle...but there will be no mistaking you have a healthy cam in there..
that being said a properly speced cam,along with the supporting parts,will give you the drivability of a "smaller cam" and power of some of the "donkey dick" cams out there..
Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

someone is always faster
Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blown03mustang

Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what times did you run?
87 degrees.. it absolutely sucked this night...

7.5@90.. that was not tuned for my gears or my intake..

my buddy ran a 7.7@89 that night... went back about 2 months or so later and ran a 7.4@93...

take it for what its worth.. next weekend im expecting a 6.9@96ish
Old 10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

omfg!!

Get over yourself "Speedracer" lol. You're out of control.

You gotta quit beatin' all those old cop farts outta your seats. They're ******' you up! ....................
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Can't compare an A4 to a 6 speed. Big difference in what cams do what. Mine absolutely rips from 5000-6600. Below that, not very impressive. Quite a few "big" cam cars have also given up their ego and run a much smaller cam only to go FASTER at the track as well.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 66deuce
interesting replies and opinions in this thread..what it comes down to is personal preference..for me personally i would give up some HP for better gas mileage and drivability..and longevity..
sorry,but a big cam is not going to drive like stock or near stock..a good tuner can tame it somewhat and make it more drivable at part throttle...but there will be no mistaking you have a healthy cam in there..
that being said a properly speced cam,along with the supporting parts,will give you the drivability of a "smaller cam" and power of some of the "donkey dick" cams out there..
Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

wen i ran the stock 241 heads, g5x3,crappy leaking tpis lt headers with the stock h pipe,vararam intake and an ls1 intake manifold i went 12.5@116.
a stock zo6 couldnt touch me from a roll

bunch of cry babies in here complaining like women about driveability

Quick Reply: Why run a big cam in a daily driver?