Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam would require a 7.250 push rod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default What cam would require a 7.250 push rod?

I found 7.250 Crane Cams pushrods in my motor. When I bought the car I was told that the cam was a TR224... Thunder racing says I should run 7.400 PR. Also installed when I purchased this car were Crane "Quick-Lift" 1.7 roller rockers. According to Chevy High Performance, the pushrod length does not change when running the Crane rockers.

Anybody run 7.250 pushrods? What cam do you have?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't won't to get into the whole pushrod length theory, but heads were probably
milled when they did cam and this will change pushrod length
Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Crane rockers come with those pushrods. The pushrod mating point is located lower on the Cranes vs. stock. So the need for shorter pushrods. If you're going to reuse the rockers you need to use the shorter pushrods. They are adjustable anyway. So you have some leeway.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
I found 7.250 Crane Cams pushrods in my motor. When I bought the car I was told that the cam was a TR224... Thunder racing says I should run 7.400 PR. Also installed when I purchased this car were Crane "Quick-Lift" 1.7 roller rockers. According to Chevy High Performance, the pushrod length does not change when running the Crane rockers.

Anybody run 7.250 pushrods? What cam do you have?
I have those pushrods now in my car. i am running a vinci there xxx cam 222/228/115. Nice streetable alot of torque.

http://www.vincihiperformance.com/CA...%20LS1%202.htm
Old 04-19-2009, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
The Crane rockers come with those pushrods. The pushrod mating point is located lower on the Cranes vs. stock. So the need for shorter pushrods. If you're going to reuse the rockers you need to use the shorter pushrods. They are adjustable anyway. So you have some leeway.
Correct.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys... Then I likely do have a TR224 as it's characteristics are the same as it's description.

I have a tick coming from the headers and I'm thinking it's from the RR's. My stethoscope keeps pointing me towards the valve covers. It improved after I reinstalled the RR's at two full turns. Still there though.

With the valve covers off, I can wiggle the rockers and recreate the ticking noise. They wiggle just shy of a 3/16th inch. The pushrods also show a little wear from the guide plates.

Anyone have any experience with these? Were they quiet? Any similar issues?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Bump.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Thanks guys... Then I likely do have a TR224 as it's characteristics are the same as it's description.

I have a tick coming from the headers and I'm thinking it's from the RR's. My stethoscope keeps pointing me towards the valve covers. It improved after I reinstalled the RR's at two full turns. Still there though.

With the valve covers off, I can wiggle the rockers and recreate the ticking noise. They wiggle just shy of a 3/16th inch. The pushrods also show a little wear from the guide plates.

Anyone have any experience with these? Were they quiet? Any similar issues?

Thanks.

They will wiggle side to side slightly. Wear on the pushrods is likely just the coating. Two turns is 0.132" preload, that is way too much. Lock them at 1.5 turns. Have you examined the valve covers for contact?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

I have pulled the rockers and will reinstall at 1.5 turns... BUT - Upon further inspection, I have discovered that a few of the lifters are "soft". As I attempt to set zero lash I notice that I can push down on the pushrods and they compress maybe 1/8th - 3/16th. This is only apparent on a few so far. I will continue to rotate the motor to see if there are any more like this.

My assumtion is that this is not normal. Somebody please chime in on this.

My plan is to adjust while the motor is running. Anyone see any issues with doing it that way?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't judge the lifters by backing them off from a partially compressed state and then looking at how much you can compress them. They can't re-fill with oil unless there is oil pressure so they will be soft for some distance.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You can't judge the lifters by backing them off from a partially compressed state and then looking at how much you can compress them. They can't re-fill with oil unless there is oil pressure so they will be soft for some distance.
I had this thought but wasn't sure about it. I thought the lifters would retain most of their hardness even when drained. I buttoned it up last night and started her today. She made a lot of racket at start up but settled down after a few minutes. Still noisy as hell. I'm going to run her for a while then re-evaluate the travel in the lifters.

I do appreciate your help vettenuts. You helped me last year when I re- installed these for the first time.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

loosen all the rockers and let it sit for a while so all the lifters will return to their natural position. then adjust. or you can do it with the engine running...
this is a good article.

http://www.classicfirebird.com/hand/jhand7.html
its directed toward pontiacs but if you change the preload specs to what your supposed to use then you should be good