Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap Topend Questions springs/lifters/pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Swap Topend Questions springs/lifters/pushrods

Just picked up the Lingenfelter GT11 cam to run in my bolt on 99 unit.
Specs are 215/231 .631/.644 118
What would you reccomend as far as springs, pushrod size, and lifters? I know I will need to change springs and pushrods, but was told my stock lifters will be okay? Thanks for the input
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wg871
Just picked up the Lingenfelter GT11 cam to run in my bolt on 99 unit.
Specs are 215/231 .631/.644 118
What would you reccomend as far as springs, pushrod size, and lifters? I know I will need to change springs and pushrods, but was told my stock lifters will be okay? Thanks for the input
Well unless you wanna pull the heads you are gonna have to stick with stock lifters anyway..

Pac 1215 springs would work great

Measure for PR's would be best but if I had to guess I would say 7.4's will work....
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll need some LS2 lifter trays and a new oil pump to you'll **** up your motor.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Double springs I would say.. and some new pushrods probably 7.4... lifters should be ok and the rocker arms should be good. Throw in a LS2 timing chain and maybe an LS6 oil pump while you have it all off. Just what I would do.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ls6 oil pump is already on the way, why ls2 chain and lifter trays? not doubting you just curious
Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TSP sells duals with tia.retainers,that will handle that.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wg871
Ls6 oil pump is already on the way, why ls2 chain and lifter trays? not doubting you just curious
How many miles are on your car?

The LS2 chain is an upgrade over the LS1. I believe that theLS1 chain is discontinued though. So if you were to order a new LS1 chain it would still be the same.

And the lifter trays evidently are week on the LS1s. There are like 2 known cases of lifters spinning in them and ruining the cam. Just ask SOMbitch, he's seen it.

I'm assuming that your just going with this cam until you get a stall?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
How many miles are on your car?

The LS2 chain is an upgrade over the LS1. I believe that theLS1 chain is discontinued though. So if you were to order a new LS1 chain it would still be the same.

And the lifter trays evidently are week on the LS1s. There are like 2 known cases of lifters spinning in them and ruining the cam. Just ask SOMbitch, he's seen it.
I'm assuming that your just going with this cam until you get a stall?

Still at it huh JC

No they didn't just ruin the cam they ruined the lifter bore which trashed the block. And yes if I were pulling the heads I would spend the $28 for new upgraded trays as it is just cheap insurance.

JC why didn't you tell this guy how he is wasting his money on a new oil pump. Shoudn't he just find a used one for $40 that he knows nothing about to pump the lifesblood through his motor so he can get that warm fuzzy feeling from saving $50
Old 03-04-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

He bought his used LS6 pump from me for $65.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

He bought his used LS6 pump from me for $65.

OMG a JC protoge LMAO Oh and he saved $30 over a Melling which is a better pump anyway. What a deal you gave him

Last edited by SOMbitch; 03-05-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
OMG a JC protoge LMAO Oh and he saved $30 over a Melling which is a better pump anyway. What a deal you gave him
How is a Melling better than an LS6 pump? I'm sure Melling has similar R&D time and money as a small company like GM, right?

I know you like to throw money away on overkill, but sometimes it's pointless. Not to say you can't get screwed buying used stuff, but it happens with new stuff too sometimes.

I didn't sell him his pump, but I do have an extra one laying around (and a 90,000 mile one too that had plenty of metal shavings ran through it) should he need it. I also have some LS2 lifter trays as well.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you **** up everybody elses threads by coming on here and starting **** with people who are actually trying to help somebody out

I don't know what problems you have in your personal life that makes you come on here and act like an asshat but I am sure there are a lot of people who wish you would just chill the **** out. Maybe try some anger management counseling or something........
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea this cam is only being run while I'm with out a stall. I want to put some more street miles on the car before a converter goes in. Thanks for the advice ill pick up some stuff
Old 03-05-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Why do you **** up everybody elses threads by coming on here and starting **** with people who are actually trying to help somebody out

I don't know what problems you have in your personal life that makes you come on here and act like an asshat but I am sure there are a lot of people who wish you would just chill the **** out. Maybe try some anger management counseling or something........
I am helping, at least I didn't recommend .600 lift beehive springs to someone who has a .631/.644 cam and really aggressive lobes. Not everyone wants to spend $5000 to make 400rwhp (from the other thread). Plus this guy likes to drag race. He doesn't need to take advice from someone who runs 12s with 10 second hp.

Sorry that you let the internet get to you so badly.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need some LS2 lifter trays and a new oil pump to you'll **** up your motor.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

This thread got off track.. ha. everyone just needs to calm down and everyone has there opinion. I have an LS6 oil pump in mine and it works perfectly... im sure some have bad experiences with used and new parts. So since he already has the oil pump then good choice! The LS2 chain is just stronger and tighter with more reliability. It might not be necessary at the moment but if you have the cover off and are doin the oil pump you might as well do the chain for a little extra insurance.
The PRC double springs are could or you can go with some Comp Cams... I would just try to stay clear of going cheap when talking about your motor.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
I was ******* with SOMbitch. I have a typo in there to if that's what you're referring to.
Originally Posted by Lambert695
This thread got off track.. ha. everyone just needs to calm down and everyone has there opinion. I have an LS6 oil pump in mine and it works perfectly... im sure some have bad experiences with used and new parts. So since he already has the oil pump then good choice! The LS2 chain is just stronger and tighter with more reliability. It might not be necessary at the moment but if you have the cover off and are doin the oil pump you might as well do the chain for a little extra insurance.
The PRC double springs are could or you can go with some Comp Cams... I would just try to stay clear of going cheap when talking about your motor.
Again my argument goes back to another thread. I would never go cheap, but some things are priced less than others. And yeah if you're gonna have the oil pump off you might as well change the chain.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Again my argument goes back to another thread. I would never go cheap, but some things are priced less than others. And yeah if you're gonna have the oil pump off you might as well change the chain.
oh no, I didn't mean that you were going cheap.. I like my LS6 oil pump. I just just saying in general like not replacing something that is a pretty common part just to say some money. Just an in general comment.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:45 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you better have a strong foot on the brake with that cam and no stall btw never heard of that cam before 215-231 is a BIG gap
Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am helping, at least I didn't recommend .600 lift beehive springs to someone who has a .631/.644 cam and really aggressive lobes. Not everyone wants to spend $5000 to make 400rwhp (from the other thread). Plus this guy likes to drag race. He doesn't need to take advice from someone who runs 12s with 10 second hp.

Sorry that you let the internet get to you so badly.

YOUR FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD THAT YOU NOW DELETED CALLED THE OP A FUCKTARD AND TOLD HIM TO DO A SEARCH REALLY HELPFULTHEN WHEN I POST UP YOU START OFFERING ADVICE INSTEAD OF INSULTS.

WHY DID YOU DELETE YOUR FIRST POST THAT WAS THE FIRST REPLY IN THIS THREAD

Yeah I misread his cam specs... that was my bad....

Dude in other thread wanted 4-450 and had 4k to spend. If all he wanted was 400 I would not have recommended heads knowing he can hit 400 cam only. I recommended heads to get him closer to 450.

Yeah I run 12.0's because I don't have a strip only car with a with a bunch of weight pulled out of it with a straightline only suspension set up to maximize my 60ft. It is setup to be a fun street car that can go around some corners DAMN FAST as well have some fun at the track. I drive my car all over the Southeast visiting relatives and old college friends and don't want a skinny front tired sloppy *** handling car when I am running 100 mph+ around the West Virginia Turnpike.

I used to live up your way and I bet I would be out of your site in about 30 seconds running a road like 42 between Assboro and Coleridge WANNA TRY IT??? I still make it out that way on occasion.This would great fun Lemme know....

Oh......and I am looking at a new set of $30 LS2 lifter trays that will go in when the heads go on in next couple of weeks