Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supporting mod's for a H/C swap...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supporting mod's for a H/C swap...

Hey guys,
I have a 2001 Vert' TransAm and was about to buy into a head cam swap. I'm getting a set of Stage 2.5 5.3L cnc ported heads with a MS3/T2 cam. It's coming with a set of 42lb injectors. I've done searches but was unable to find out what supporting mods I would NEED. For instance, do i need a new oil pump, lifters, pushrods, chain, head bolts, gaskets etc with the amount of miles that it has on it. The car only has 62000 miles on it and is super clean inside and out...

I've got catted 1 3/4" long tubes, slp loudmouth 1, and the slp cold cold air kit (lid, bellows, CAI) going through an M6. Thanks ahead of time for your input.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Smart thing to do is replace all that while you are in there..
When i did my cam swap i did:
ls2 timing chain/sprocket
ported ls6 oil pump
patriot gold valvespring kit
hardened pushrods
(i didnt but most put an underdrive pulley on too with an ARP crank bolt)

With heads i would:
replace head studs with ARP's
replace head gaskets
replace lifters
rockers arent needed but i would throw some yella terra's on there, stay with the stock ratio.

im just thinkin off the top of my head, im sure there are other small things though
Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would only do studs if they are a better deal price wise or if you plan on pulling those heads off a few times a year. GM stock bolts are just fine and for a considerable amount less.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

well you dont really NEED anything.. everything is completely up to you what you want to add which is why you probably didn't search much but this question has been answered alot. So basically what Ryan said will get you goin good. Im guess those heads already have the double springs in them so those should be good. If you want to save money you dont need new rocker arms but if you want to then go ahead.
Things to watch out for in the future though will be the rear end.. and if its still stock the LS1 clutch is weak so with that power you will probably need a new one.
The mileage on stock parts doesn't mean much. Even if it has 20K miles its always recommended to replace the stock with better aftermarket. i.e. LS2 chain = stronger and more reliable than the LS1. The LS6 pump is more reliable than the LS1 oil pump. ARP bolts are stronger than GM bolts. Also, some people change out the rod bolts with a set of ARP ones which is also optional. Otherwise you have the same setup I want, so let me know how it goes!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Lambert695
The LS6 pump is more reliable than the LS1 oil pump.
Its not more reliable, its just better design for efficiency.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Its not more reliable, its just better design for efficiency.
I apologize.. this is what I meant by reliable. I didn't mean it like the LS1 pump will break less than the LS6.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Lambert695
I apologize.. this is what I meant by reliable. I didn't mean it like the LS1 pump will break less than the LS6.
Dont get me wrong though. The LS1 pump sucks! I thought that was what you were trying to say after I posted.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

I'm gonna do a head/cam swap in about two-three months.

Head/cam package will come with assembled heads, proper springs included, camshaft and hardened pushrods. Along with this I plan to add an oil pump, timing set, LIFTERS, FUEL INJECTORS and all necessary gaskets and bolts. The gaskets and bolts are the only musts I guess but its more than worth it to go ahead and replace the oil pump and the rest of the valvetrain. I don't plan to swap the rockers, though.

The reason I will replace what im going to is I rebuilt a 5.0 before while doing a head/cam swap because it had a constant tick and low oil pressure. Bored with new flat tops, stock rods, and new crank. AFR heads, Comp cam, had dual valve springs, new pushrods, timing set, intake manifold, etc. complete top end pretty much. Rockers and lifters remained stock. The dual springs were cranes that I recieved for free and probably most of the reason for this, but 731miles into this combo my lifters took a ****, lost bearings and needles, some jammed in the cam bearings lodging the camshaft, breaking the timing set, and the rest fell into the oil pan doing a good bit of damage to pistons and cylinder walls on the way down all because I wanted to skimp on $100

With that being said, your best bet is to knock em out while they're out.