Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my friend getting ripped?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my friend getting ripped?

I'm asking this since my friend does not believe he getting ripped a new butthole.
Okay my friend is getting a built 346 bottom end, I believe Callies pistons, the rods and pistons I do not know the brand with stock cam. The heads are STOCK 241 not ported, not built nothing.

He is paying 5 grand for all of this which to me seems to be an insane amount of money for just forged internals for the bottom end with no cam or any head work whatsoever.

So me and all my friends say he getting ripped badly, paying 5grand for a forged 346 build.
What do you guys think about this? fair deal? getting ripped?

Last edited by kaganader; 04-03-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Some of the forged kits will run you upwards of $3,400 dollars. that is not including the labor of taking he engine out, dis-assembly and reassembly If some one did not do it themselves or if the did and choose to charge for it.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does this include installation? If it includes install and the misc stuff like fluids, gaskets etc its not a horrible deal. But if he put a little more money with it he could get a a stroker of some sort.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Launching!

I was just looking at Texas Speed rotating assembly and it starts at $1400 and can go up to $2400 if you choose other parts. That is why a bunch of us think he getting charged too much.

They told him if he wanted Diamond pistons they would charge him an extra 2 grand for those, that is another reason why we think they are just trying to milk him.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=883&catid=88
Old 04-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Silver408z
Does this include installation? If it includes install and the misc stuff like fluids, gaskets etc its not a horrible deal. But if he put a little more money with it he could get a a stroker of some sort.
It includes them installing the motor, I do not know about the fluids and oil. I think they are going to charge him more for that.

I told him for what he spending he could get a stroker rotating assembly for just a couple bucks more.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kaganader
It includes them installing the motor, I do not know about the fluids and oil. I think they are going to charge him more for that.

I told him for what he spending he could get a stroker rotating assembly for just a couple bucks more.
Sit him down at a computer and show him pricing from the sponsors like what you linked here. That seems about like the best thing you can do. 2k for diamond pistons is crazy lol.

With the labor to pull, install, assemble accessories etc is included then its not a raping. But he deffinately should do some shoping around. Tell him to look at some 243 casting heads. They are fairly inexpensive now and would be nice power gains.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Sit him down at a computer and show him pricing from the sponsors like what you linked here. That seems about like the best thing you can do. 2k for diamond pistons is crazy lol.

With the labor to pull, install, assemble accessories etc is included then its not a raping. But he deffinately should do some shoping around.
Thank you, he is just ignorant and well stubbornly stupid. He would believe what people say over facts for some reason. With TS prices he can easily get a 383 done for $300 more. He took the plunge and already paid today when I was at work.

He thinks having Forged internals GIVES you horsepower... that is just like thinking you breath through your belly instead of your nose that is on your head.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

I was just looking at Texas Speed rotating assembly and it starts at $1400 and can go up to $2400 if you choose other parts. That is why a bunch of us think he getting charged too much.

They told him if he wanted Diamond pistons they would charge him an extra 2 grand for those, that is another reason why we think they are just trying to milk him.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=883&catid=88
I learned a long time ago never to let the shops price me out of what I want. I buy everything i want put into my car period. Get the best deal for the best equipment and then all they have to do is charge labor. Many shops not all will rape you in mark up.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you, he is just ignorant and well stubbornly stupid. He would believe what people say over facts for some reason. With TS prices he can easily get a 383 done for $300 more. He took the plunge and already paid today when I was at work.

He thinks having Forged internals GIVES you horsepower... that is just like thinking you breath through your belly instead of your nose that is on your head.
Granted raising compression through bottom end parts will make more power the real gains are made in the top end. Heads and intake (the nose).
Old 04-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Granted raising compression through bottom end parts will make more power the real gains are made in the top end. Heads and intake (the nose).
Wouldn't pistons that have Valve reliefs (and all forged ahve them that I see) in them lower compression since there is now more area and volume to be compressed. Or am I wrong on this.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02*C5
I learned a long time ago never to let the shops price me out of what I want. I buy everything i want put into my car period. Get the best deal for the best equipment and then all they have to do is charge labor. Many shops not all will rape you in mark up.
Exactly! I buy everything I need myself and when I need a shop I just pay the labor just like you.