Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metal shavings in oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default metal shavings in oil

I usually don't see any more than what I would call fuzz (dust sized particles), on the drain plug after 2500-3000 mile oil changes.
Well after my most recent change. I saw large flakes about 1/8in long completely covering the the magnetic tip.

The catch is that I ran the car at the Hockenheimring for 4 20min sessions, I quit the last session when I noticed that the oil pressure was about 35psi at 6000 rpm.

Any ideas on what kind of metal I'm seeing? and what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Engine has 98,000 miles, water temps never exceeded 210. Oil used was castrol 5-30, and filter was a fram.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Lower then normal oil pressure and shavings on the magnet, it aint looking good.....
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be bearings, as they wear rthe clearance gets larger, causing an oil pressure drop,,,not good.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

At 98K on the car you have to expect that the motor has wear. I think the guys pin pointed your problem so start saving your money for a short block and just enjoy the motor for as long as it last. Some have ran their motor for a long time after the same problem. It's hard to kill one of these motors.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bearings are not magnetic.............
Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
alot of them are tin overlayed, or other metal overlayed, on top of copper/babbit and thats most definately magnetic
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is true, What the crank rides on, supposed to be a thin layer of oil and the crank journal should never touch the bearing its self,The bearing has different layers of materials by different companies that make them, Like babit , copper, brass , etc..... ,But bearing body its self is steel and magnetic but if you get that far down you will definitely know it, by very little to no oil pressure and very loud knock.
For the metal that you see, you might have a cam lobe going down and were the lifter has preload on it, you wont here any rocker noise until the wear on the lobe exceeds the preload of the lifter causing the rocker arm to get loose . Not saying this is your problem but something you might look at.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Banned

The shell is magnetic but the bearing material in not. If he was seeeing pices of shell i seriously doubt the engine wooooood still be running.

Randy beat me too it lol

Believe it or not they are moving to ALL aluminum-silicon bearings.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

If it was me, i would pull the oil filter and cut it open and see if there is anything in there that might give you some idea. An oil filter can tell you alot about your engine wear.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

in my case it ended up being a rod bearing. oil pressured dropped for a few weeks then one day i was driving home...coasting down a hill and when i went to give it gas again she let loose. one of the worst noises you ever wanna hear from your car. but yeah start saving up. it took me 2 yrs to save the money to rebuild it. although i but heads and cam in so that was a little extra
Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
I usually don't see any more than what I would call fuzz (dust sized particles), on the drain plug after 2500-3000 mile oil changes.
Well after my most recent change. I saw large flakes about 1/8in long completely covering the the magnetic tip.

The catch is that I ran the car at the Hockenheimring for 4 20min sessions, I quit the last session when I noticed that the oil pressure was about 35psi at 6000 rpm.

Any ideas on what kind of metal I'm seeing? and what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Engine has 98,000 miles, water temps never exceeded 210. Oil used was castrol 5-30, and filter was a fram.
Thanks for the help.
im in the same boat as you but on my 99"/m6 same mileagle too, I would most def like to hear what went wrong with your car. I found needle few needle bearings tho metal shavings too but didnt find chunky sized shavings like you did

yikes.............. dam had no idea

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
If it was me, i would pull the oil filter and cut it open and see if there is anything in there that might give you some idea. An oil filter can tell you alot about your engine wear.
im doing this

Originally Posted by 2000RDT/A
in my case it ended up being a rod bearing. oil pressured dropped for a few weeks then one day i was driving home...coasting down a hill and when i went to give it gas again she let loose. one of the worst noises you ever wanna hear from your car. but yeah start saving up. it took me 2 yrs to save the money to rebuild it. although i but heads and cam in so that was a little extra
dammmmmmn im worried now, I just bought that trunion upgrade kit from TSP should I do compression check before I'd move further?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the info guys.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a compression check will show a bad rod bearing.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

Compression test woooood be useless. Post up pics of the metal and pull the oil filter and inspect the filter media. If its a bearing going out you will know.

Last edited by O2Form; 03-24-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
Thanks for all the info guys.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a compression check will show a bad rod bearing.
Your right, a compression test wont show a bad bearing. I just cant see it being a bearing down with no knock . Like i said before, the part of the bearing that rides on the crank journal is not magnetic only the bearing shell is, and if it was wore down that much ,the motor would be knocking to bet hell. The only parts that i can think of that are steel to steel witch is magnetic, would be the (cam & roller tip on the lifter) or the (timing chain & sprockets) and the (oil pump drive gear sprocket & oil pump) , (cam and thrust plate) witch is also magnetic and the (push rods & rocker arm) , That can wear to cause shavings that are magnetic. Two metal that are magnetic only the softer of the two will show signs of wear sooner. I wish you had pics of whats on the drain plug
Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

With that many miles on the engine and the hard running that your doing , the rod & mains & cam bearing could be out of tolerance but not enough to cause a knock witch could lead to lower oil pressure than normal, plus during the high rpm and load on the engine and dont know what the temp on the engine was, your oil may just be breaking down causing a low oil pressure. What was your oil pressure after the run at idle ? And have you started the engine after it has cooled down completely to see what the oil pressure is. Just trying to break down the problems that your having so we can narrow down your issue.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even on a healthy engine if you are running it that hard I would run a heavier oil....maybe a 15w-50...
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

This is true, What the crank rides on, supposed to be a thin layer of oil and the crank journal should never touch the bearing its self,The bearing has different layers of materials by different companies that make them, Like babit , copper, brass , etc..... ,But bearing body its self is steel and magnetic but if you get that far down you will definitely know it, by very little to no oil pressure and very loud knock.
For the metal that you see, you might have a cam lobe going down and were the lifter has preload on it, you wont here any rocker noise until the wear on the lobe exceeds the preload of the lifter causing the rocker arm to get loose . Not saying this is your problem but something you might look at.
I can attest to this. Found metal shavings while doing a oil change a few months ago, followed shorty by a lifter tick. Pulled everything apart and the cam lobes were toast.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Launching!

With that many miles on the engine and the hard running that your doing , the rod & mains & cam bearing could be out of tolerance but not enough to cause a knock witch could lead to lower oil pressure than normal, plus during the high rpm and load on the engine and dont know what the temp on the engine was, your oil may just be breaking down causing a low oil pressure. What was your oil pressure after the run at idle ? And have you started the engine after it has cooled down completely to see what the oil pressure is. Just trying to break down the problems that your having so we can narrow down your issue.
After the run it was about 20-25psi. I then drove it home about 160 miles on the autobahn.

I noticed the oil pressure would sit at around 30-33 psi at 2000rpm cruising. Then when i left off, with the car in gear the oil pressure would jump up to 40psi or better. As soon as I hit the gas, and the engine starts pulling the psi goes back to 30?

Changed the oil and filter. Pressure is better, but still lower than normal.

Also there is a clattering noise at 2500rpm, but no extra valve noise at idle...

Quick Reply: metal shavings in oil