Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Rebuild, Pistons .025 Out of Hole. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Rebuild, Pistons .025 Out of Hole. Why?

Doing first ever LS1 rebuild with stock parts... block was not decked, but after assembling bottom end, the pistons are out of the hole .025. Can anyone tell me why this may be? Wrong bearings??? I'm ultra confused. I tried calling Race Engine Development to see if they might have a little insight, but was not able to reach them so I left a message and thought I'd hop on here to see if anyone else could share a little info.

This is a stock 98 block with 2004 LS6 rods and ls6 pistons (floating setup) and arp 2000 rod bolts. What could possibly make the pistons stick out that far? If anyone can lend a little insight, I'd greatly appreciate it. Excuse my ignorance... I admit I'm a newbie with all of this. At least I was smart enough to measure first right? Thanks, guys.

Brad

Last edited by edwardzracing; 04-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
Doing first ever LS1 rebuild with stock parts... block was not decked, but after assembling bottom end, the pistons are out of the .025. Can anyone tell me why this may be? Wrong bearings??? I'm ultra confused. I tried calling Race Engine Development, but was not able to reach them so I left a message.

This is a stock 98 block with 2004 LS6 rods and ls6 pistons (floating setup) and arp 2000 rod bolts. What could possibly make the pistons stick out that far? If anyone can lend a little insight, I'd greatly appreciate it. Excuse my ignorance... I admit I'm a newbie with all of this. At least I was smart enough to measure first right? Thanks, guys.

Brad
did you have the block line bored?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
did you have the block line bored?
Yes, but not dramatically. Would a line bore change things that much? I figured it would end up somewhere between 8 and 10 thousandths. But wow, .025 just seems crazy high. I appreciate the response.

Just adding a little more info here:

Stock LS6 crank (used with the same rods and pistons that are in the motor).
ARP Main Studs.

Thanks again to all those willing to share a little info.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

yeah, Id think your on track about 8 to 10 thousanths. Im assuming your sure about square decking then, as in it wasnt done?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

How are you measuring this? Stock connecting rods are 6.098" and stock LS6 pistons should come out of the hole .007-.010" depending on the deck height of the block and machine work
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought most ls family engines have a .007-.010 positive deck height
which is why GM uses .056-.060 thick head gaskets. If a machine shop
decked the block fron 9.024 down to 9.010 then you could easily see
about .025 out of the hole. No worries though because bringing the primary
compression ring closer to the deck surface reduces "dead" quench, cleans
up emisions a bit, and a factory .060 head gasket will put the piston to head @ about .035.....A pretty desireable figure
Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Block was not decked. I measured using a dial indicator similar to this:

Like I said, stock 2004 LS6 rods and pistons. 6.098 length, 3.622 stroke. Block had no deck work done at all... a line hone and a cleanup hone on the cylinders. What could possibly cause the pistons to be more than 15 thousandths too far out of the hole? Would a line hone have messed things up that bad??

Even with the .051 head gasket on it, claying the piston top shows obvious contact with the head after turning it over. Valves aren't hitting, but the head definitely does.

At this point I can only assume something has been assembled incorrectly or the line hone has completely changed things... but have any engine builders here ever seen a line hone throw the deck height that far out of whack??? I know it's a dumb question, but would the wrong size of bearing have an effect on anything?? Again, excuse my ignorance; I'm just trying to figure out what could have changed things this dramatically on what is mostly a stock rebuild.

Big thanks to everyone for chiming in. Feel free to add more comments and/or ideas.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 AM
Launching!

Block was not decked. I measured using a dial indicator similar to this:

Like I said, stock 2004 LS6 rods and pistons. 6.098 length, 3.622 stroke. Block had no deck work done at all... a line hone and a cleanup hone on the cylinders. What could possibly cause the pistons to be more than 15 thousandths too far out of the hole? Would a line hone have messed things up that bad??

Even with the .051 head gasket on it, claying the piston top shows obvious contact with the head after turning it over. Valves aren't hitting, but the head definitely does.

At this point I can only assume something has been assembled incorrectly or the line hone has completely changed things... but have any engine builders here ever seen a line hone throw the deck height that far out of whack??? I know it's a dumb question, but would the wrong size of bearing have an effect on anything?? Again, excuse my ignorance; I'm just trying to figure out what could have changed things this dramatically on what is mostly a stock rebuild.

Big thanks to everyone for chiming in. Feel free to add more comments and/or ideas.
something isn't right,that's for sure.
if your gasket is .051 thick,and your out of the hole .025,the piston shouldn't be hitting the head?(although that is damn close)
maybe a little too much metal was taken off when line honed,and/or the wrong bearings are being used?
you could use a thicker gasket to add clearance,assuming the rotating assembly is ok..
obviously the people to talk to is the machine shop who did the work.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

How are you measuring the piston again? Are you rocking the piston and finding the average?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gtotoocool1
something isn't right,that's for sure.
if your gasket is .051 thick,and your out of the hole .025,the piston shouldn't be hitting the head?(although that is damn close)
maybe a little too much metal was taken off when line honed,and/or the wrong bearings are being used?
you could use a thicker gasket to add clearance,assuming the rotating assembly is ok..
obviously the people to talk to is the machine shop who did the work.
Motor is still at the shop... this is the first LS1 assembly the shop has done and things are on hold as I'd like to figure out why the pistons are out of the hole this much. Rocking the piston changes things a little, but it's not going to rock down to 10 thousandths. That'd have to be 15 thousandths worth of rocking. Even if it rocks between say 15 and 25, my average is still crazy high and way off.

I suppose it's possible the line honing took off more metal than average, but I have a hard time believing the mains were roughly 15 thousandths out of round. I do know that the shop had to send off the block to another shop for them to finish the line hone so perhaps the other shop really did have to take off that much metal. I'm going to try and find out today.

I'm still curious if incorrect bearing sizes would move things this much.

THANKS AGAIN to everyone who has chimed in. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Rocking the piston changes things a little, but it's not going to rock down to 10 thousandths. That'd have to be 15 thousandths worth of rocking. Even if it rocks between say 15 and 25, my average is still crazy high and way off.
Usually they rock more than .010". You need to measure.

The way you're supposed to do it is you first zero out the indicator on the deck and then set the tip at the edge of the piston perpendicular to the pin. From there, you rock the piston so that you can measure how low and how high the piston rocks.

So if the piston rocks .025" above the deck and .005" below, that means the piston rocks .030" total. Divide .030" by 2 and you get .015". Add that number to the low (which will be -.005" since it was below the deck) and you see that the piston is actually only .010" out of the hole.

I think thats way more likely than bearings or the line hone.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
Usually they rock more than .010". You need to measure.

The way you're supposed to do it is you first zero out the indicator on the deck and then set the tip at the edge of the piston perpendicular to the pin. From there, you rock the piston so that you can measure how low and how high the piston rocks.

So if the piston rocks .025" above the deck and .005" below, that means the piston rocks .030" total. Divide .030" by 2 and you get .015". Add that number to the low (which will be -.005" since it was below the deck) and you see that the piston is actually only .010" out of the hole.

I think thats way more likely than bearings or the line hone.
I appreciate the information. I will try that method and see what I end up with. Unfortunately that still doesn't explain why there is not even 30 thousandths worth of clearance between the head and piston with the .051 gasket installed and the heads still not completely torqued down. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but sadly I think there is still a problem. Thanks again, KCS.

Keep the thoughts coming guys.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried running in the main cap side bolts? If they won't thread in correctly, then the line bore might be the issue...
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Typically if a machine shop raises the crank NORTH by line honing the crap
outta it the timing chain wil be sloppy loose even if it's new.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
true... some companies actually make a shorter chain to correct this...
Old 04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Very good point. The side main bolt caps went in without a problem. We did use a new .005 smaller chain and it's good and snug; definitely not sloppy. Beginning to wonder if it might indeed be an incorrect bearing or something.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I sure appreciate the help, thoughts, and ideas.

Brad
Old 12-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

What was the issue?
Very good point. The side main bolt caps went in without a problem. We did use a new .005 smaller chain and it's good and snug; definitely not sloppy. Beginning to wonder if it might indeed be an incorrect bearing or something.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I sure appreciate the help, thoughts, and ideas.

Brad
Old 12-05-2018, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by heykw
What was the issue?
Read the title of the thread- piston .025 out of the hole.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 338 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by heykw;2001215s4
What was the issue?
Originally Posted by G Atsma
Read the title of the thread- piston .025 out of the hole.

I think he means, what was the final solution/outcome/fix to the ".025 out of the hole" problem...

(but...since this is a 2011 thread...chances are slim he will reply...)

Quick Reply: Stock Rebuild, Pistons .025 Out of Hole. Why?