Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JT's C5Z Exhaust and Cam Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JT's C5Z Exhaust and Cam Build

Been awhile since I've popped in and updated progress on my Z06 so here she is.

Build list:
- LG Super Pro 1 3/4" headers
- LG 3 x 2.5" cat-less X-pipe
- GHL Bullet 2.5" axle back
- Futral Motorsports custom-grind cam - specs are 238 / 240 - .600" / .600" - 112 LSA + 2
- Comp 921 dual valve springs
- Titanium retainers, timing chain, pushrods, crank bolt, seats, seals, etc
- WOT tuning done by Doug Rippie Motorsports
- Street tuning will be done by CJ Tunes on Thursday, May 12th.

Out with the old:

In with the new!

Final numbers: 427whp / 394 wtq!!

Video!

[youtube]UZXzpj70qAk[/youtube]

Impressions:

Simply bliss. It feels like an entirely new car. As soon as you start the car, it feels and sounds like it has the power to back up the looks. It shakes your entire body. In normal driving it's quite tame and drives just as smooth as stock. Currently, there's a bit more jerkiness and stutter when you take your foot off the gas in gear, but I'm hoping it's something my tuner can tweak. Getting on it, it's incredibly responsive. I figured there would be a bit of lag, but really it's instant power and it just keeps climbing. Right around 3k it starts unleashing and really opens up. It's an incredibly addicting sound and it just keeps getting more and more glorious as you climb the powerband. It pulls like a raped ape from 5k to redline. It simply is...incredible. There's a few tweaks I need to do yet, but my tuner will be getting his hands dirty on Thursday. I plan to re-dyno at the shop I was at when I was near stock to help get a better comparison of the gains, but numbers aside I'm absolutely ecstatic with my new car

Last edited by JohnnyT13; 05-10-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Tough crowd...lol
Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

I'm at work so I can't see the pictures. Sounds like a really good build, the Z06 is just a monster with a cam, it really just makes it a different car. I'm just in love with mine since the cam install. I'm really happy for you, I'm sure your just looking for a reason to drive it. We need a video of your idle sound, all the members love to hear a cool cam.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Launching!

call me crazy but isn't that REALLY good numbers for stock heads? Congrats man! Other than the tuning, did you do the work yourself? If so....give yourself a pat on the back!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
I'm at work so I can't see the pictures. Sounds like a really good build, the Z06 is just a monster with a cam, it really just makes it a different car. I'm just in love with mine since the cam install. I'm really happy for you, I'm sure your just looking for a reason to drive it. We need a video of your idle sound, all the members love to hear a cool cam.
I have video near the end of the first post!

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
call me crazy but isn't that REALLY good numbers for stock heads? Congrats man! Other than the tuning, did you do the work yourself? If so....give yourself a pat on the back!
That's what I thought as well - definitely one of the higher hp cam-only, stock head cars I've seen. Doug Rippie Motorsports did the install and tuning - I don't trust myself doing internal engine work haha. They did an incredible job and I'll definitely be back!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Im doing same with a Mamo fast and ai heads. How hard was the rack and the abs bs. Did cam clear condenser and headers clear ok. My instructions say I have to jack motor. Please pm me I would appreciate tearing down friday
Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Impressive results but nothing out of the ordinary for a large cam and 243 heads.

Sounds SICK!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Yup, I got 04 GTO with stock 243's (PRC .650 springs) off of a 03 Z06, and with cam/243's made 386rwhp & 374rwtq. Thats with STOCK mani's and exhaust. K&N cai is only other mod.

Best friends 03 Z06 made 464/436, waiting on his computer to get back from texas speed with a few tweaks and a larger maf. It was patriot heads/torquer v.3/headers/borla/fast 102/ 90mm electronic tb, bbk cai.

But congrats, great numbers and it looks gorgeous. Love the wheels.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by theevette
Im doing same with a Mamo fast and ai heads. How hard was the rack and the abs bs. Did cam clear condenser and headers clear ok. My instructions say I have to jack motor. Please pm me I would appreciate tearing down friday
I didn't do the install. I'd say this would be your best help: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Impressive results but nothing out of the ordinary for a large cam and 243 heads.

Sounds SICK!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by usmonaro
Yup, I got 04 GTO with stock 243's (PRC .650 springs) off of a 03 Z06, and with cam/243's made 386rwhp & 374rwtq. Thats with STOCK mani's and exhaust. K&N cai is only other mod.

Best friends 03 Z06 made 464/436, waiting on his computer to get back from texas speed with a few tweaks and a larger maf. It was patriot heads/torquer v.3/headers/borla/fast 102/ 90mm electronic tb, bbk cai.

But congrats, great numbers and it looks gorgeous. Love the wheels.
You NEED to get the exhaust addressed...it's a night and day difference and I'm quite happy I did both at the same time. Now I definitely need to address the intake! Thanks for the kind comments.