Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Head and cam opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls1 Head and cam opinions please

G'day fellas, myself being totally non mechanically minded at all , i have always had a passion of the ls1 ever since i bought my first commodore (australian name for a sort of pontiac type vehicle) I have the hunger to have that fat *** sounding tough street sleeper type car, i have always played around taking a long shot from things i read in car magazines, online forums, etc, in the past some were ok but could of been that bit better. Ok so my current ride is a sweet white clean street looking vx calais 2002 model. Its auto and this time i have gone down the path of head and cam.

Firstly the basics ok,
Stage 1 - it has 1 3/4 headers into 3 inch 200 cell metal high flow cats, straight thru mufflers into a twin 3 inch system. LS6 manifold with an over the radiator air intake and k&n filter, iridium plugs, 8mm leads and professionally custom mafless (MAF sensor removed) tuned.
Great at this stage sounded good, had bit of boot when ya got up her.

Hmmm then of course as you do, you become hungry for more so ......

Stage 2, then i chose a camshaft and had it installed. Keeping my stall converter stock and going on from past choices in previous cars i had with larger camshafts, this was the size i opted for this time around. Lunati 220/224 in/ex , 278/282 duration .575/.575 lift, 112 lobe sep hydr camshaft with Isky 165-a racing super clean ovate wire beehive springs good for 0.600 lift. Isky retainers, locks, ACL valve stems. Comp magnum 7.400" long 0.80" thick pushrod and Custom tuned with efi live software by oztrack (this guy in sydney has a great reputation).

Now the car is really becoming a head turner for the sound and toughness it gives off as it cruizes past people in the street. Fuel economy is great too (98ron). got plenty more power all around and is fun to drive. It has lots of low down to mid range for off lights which is exactly what i am after 400m quickness, with a bit of drop at 100km/h and still a bit of a kick in the pants. It's exciting every drive if u know what i mean lol. But of course the hunger for more is there.

So this brings me to my current stage....3

I am yet to install this stage yet, so all are currently parts sitting waiting in my garage till after new year when the workshop re opens in a week or 2.
But I have had the 241 heads fully reconditioned, shaved 0.30", new valves, 3 angle grind valves/seats with the bowls also getting a touch up by being ported/blended. I was advised to use Trickflow MLS 0.45" gaskets, while down there why not go safe and put Crane hyd roller lifters in and of course, GM head bolts. Then will be retuned to suit once done.

So has anyone out there done similar to the this type of set up? I want to know before i proceed with the install things like if i will have clearance issues? what push rod size should i use? will my 7.400" length ones be ok? what sort of power gain should i expect?

Any advice/opinions/stories from others that have done close or similar to the mods i have done would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ls1 down under; 12-31-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have a good street combo. Have you considered a (high torque multiplication) torque converter in the 3000 range?? That is a good "wake-up" even for stock LS1 motors. Your in town fuel economy may drop a little but highway should remain the same.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul57
It sounds like you have a good street combo. Have you considered a (high torque multiplication) torque converter in the 3000 range?? That is a good "wake-up" even for stock LS1 motors. Your in town fuel economy may drop a little but highway should remain the same.
Thanks Paul57!! Yeah i guess next step of putting the final touches on her, is by 3000 stall converter ( i also have a large PWR trans cooler on the car at the moment and had a 'baby shift kit, which i gather that they do something with the 2nd valve or line pressure or something? done at the same time) and also change diff gears from 3.07 stock to 3.45 rather than 3.73 or 3.9's as i dont want it to be too high rpm on the highway. then i think it will be a pretty quick street sleeper giving a few surprises at the lights against some of the latest model factory 325kw 6.2L HSV's we have here in australia which do a 13.5 sec qtr mile stock
Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

anyone know what pushrod size? , do i need anything else before i get it install ?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are really going to have to check the length since you milled the heads and repalced the valves. There are good instructions in post #3. This is a good way to get the length if you don't have the correct (length checker) tool. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-too-big.html
Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul57
You are really going to have to check the length since you milled the heads and repalced the valves. There are good instructions in post #3. This is a good way to get the length if you don't have the correct (length checker) tool. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-too-big.html
AWESOME!! just what i need, great info and help, thanks mate.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a adjustable push rod checker tool and adjust the length to get the rocker in the middle of the valve stem.check ls1howto.com for more info.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Default fuel system upgrade suit head and cam

what is a sufficient fuel system upgrade to suit head and cam Ls1 ?

Will 36lb injectors and a bosch 040 fuel pump do the trick ?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

head and cam ls1 should be fine on stock pump, maybe just go for the ford svo 30lb injectors, they come out around 34/36lb or so with 4bar rail.
Of course if you are spinning mega rpm with a huge cam and heads then maybe you need a better pump, but a daily driver should be fine.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Head and cam opinions please