Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone checked out Advanced Induction's new Dart/RHS CNC'd head program?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone checked out Advanced Induction's new Dart/RHS CNC'd head program?

http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...ccDartHead.php

Here is the link. Appears that this includes the castings, plus the CNC work, valves, springs, etc. Not a bad price at all. I've always heard that the Dart heads were pretty good once ported. Just curious if anyone else has checked this out or has any thoughts on it. How do you think these heads would stack up against CNC ported 243 castings?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had friends run them in as cast form with great results. TSP used to cnc them but ruined them and everyone on tech doesnt use them really since.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Ive had friends run them in as cast form with great results. TSP used to cnc them but ruined them and everyone on tech doesnt use them really since.
Yeah, I've seen results over on LS1GTO where a guy ran the 225 version that he had hand ported with a decent sized cam and made some great numbers.

With AI's reputation, I'm sure these things are legit. Just curious if these would yeild better results than their ported 243 heads.

Also noticed this: http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...0ccTFSHead.php

TFS heads that they CNC port. If I'm reading it right, it says for the price of $2,195.00, you get the TFS heads, CNC port work, springs, retainers, etc. What TFS heads is it; the 220 or the 215? That price seems too good to be true. Am I reading it wrong?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The plot thickens.....
Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
The plot thickens.....
Did you check out the AI website? $1,745.00 for the Dart/RHS CNC'd heads, aftermarket valves, springs good to .660 lift, steel retainers, etc.

For the TFS heads, $2,195.00, which includes the heads, CNC work, aftermarket valves, .660 lift springs, retainers, etc. Hell, you can't get TFS heads that cheap from any vendor I've seen. I just wonder if they are the 220 as cast version or the 215 version? AI's website doesn't say. I want to hear more on this. Maybe AI will jump in.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I'm curious as to how the Dart stacks up against the 226 243's. I don't care about peak #'s but rather street performance. That's a good deal though regardless for aftermarket heads.

The TFS you linked to are 230's for a 4" bore and bigger. I forget who puts the LS3 valves in the 220's... It's either TEA or AI. Hell, I'd like to know what AI can do to some 220's.

Still haven't found anything definitive on the TSP "as-casts" yet.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm curious as to how the Dart stacks up against the 226 243's. I don't care about peak #'s but rather street performance. That's a good deal though regardless for aftermarket heads.

The TFS you linked to are 230's for a 4" bore and bigger. I forget who puts the LS3 valves in the 220's... It's either TEA or AI. Hell, I'd like to know what AI can do to some 220's.

Still haven't found anything definitive on the TSP "as-casts" yet.

Yeah, I've given up on the TSP as cast heads. Many questions have been asked on this site with very little answers.

I know AI does some work to the TFS 220 heads, but I'm still curious what TFS castings they are using for the 230cc CNC option. I'm kind of leaning toward the Dart CNC heads. I'm sure AI will post up more info once they have it. Right now, their pricing for the Dart and TFS heads is a special they are running.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

The TFS they have listed includes Trick Flow LSx Bare Castings. That seems really cheap. Arent the bare heads like $2,300ish usually?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should really research and get the whole story before posting stuff like that. Dart shot themselves in the foot, we don't put a big enough bandage on the wound, and that's in a nutshell why they have the reputation in the LS1 community they do.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mac62989
The TFS they have listed includes Trick Flow LSx Bare Castings. That seems really cheap. Arent the bare heads like $2,300ish usually?
Which cc head; 215cc, 225cc, 220 as cast? Anyone know? But you're right, that price does seem really good. I know a 230cc head isn't ideal for a 346ci engine, but I'm sure it could work.

I e-mailed AI about their 223 Dart/RHS heads. I'll see what they say and post up. Anymore info in the meantime would be great.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the whole story then Matt? How come other porters love the dart heads and make good power but you guys touch them and they suck?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also just saw this a couple days ago and was going to start the same thread lol

From what i could gather these are AI's own castings that are based off of the Trickflows which is why they are so cheap. And i am also very intrigued with the RHS/Dart heads, the flow sheet listed has them flowing a little bit more than the 226 243's AND they are only a 223cc intake port. Arent these heads supposed to have a pretty thick deck as well? sounds like a good head to me, wouldnt mind seeing some real world results though
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Sorry to get off topic Rise, but maybe I'm late to the party.... When in hell did AI start a 232 cnc'd 243?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Launching!

I also would like to hear Phil from AI chime in and let us know how these dart 223s compare to the 226 243 port work and 241 HCR219?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to get off topic Rise, but maybe I'm late to the party.... When in hell did AI start a 232 cnc'd 243?
I saw it on their site for the first time maybe two weeks ago. After reading about it I dont think us 346 guys will benefit from the extra work..
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Yeah, I've given up on the TSP as cast heads. Many questions have been asked on this site with very little answers.

I know AI does some work to the TFS 220 heads, but I'm still curious what TFS castings they are using for the 230cc CNC option. I'm kind of leaning toward the Dart CNC heads. I'm sure AI will post up more info once they have it. Right now, their pricing for the Dart and TFS heads is a special they are running.
No need to give up on the PRC as-cast heads. There is 10 pair coming thru the pipeline right now. If everything looks good, there will be a full production run coming soon.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran Dart 205's for a couple of years problem free. I removed them in favor of the AFR's that were worked over by Tony. I had no issues with the heads and there are a few porters out there who love them although I have read of some valve guide clearance issues in the last couple of years, which may be the reason AI is providing all the parts. They may be buying the castings from Dart and starting from there.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TSP did port the Dart casting, but the Dart casting was the POS. TSP was not the issue with them.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I ran Dart 205's for a couple of years problem free. I removed them in favor of the AFR's that were worked over by Tony. I had no issues with the heads and there are a few porters out there who love them although I have read of some valve guide clearance issues in the last couple of years, which may be the reason AI is providing all the parts. They may be buying the castings from Dart and starting from there.

I think you're right; AI is using the Dart 205 castings and doing a CNC port job to get them to 223cc intake and then adding their own valvetrain components. What I like about the Dart castings is they are an aftermarket casting with a thicker head deck and if AI is using them, then I know they are legit and will make great numbers. AI would not get involved with something they didn't think works. From everything I've seen, AI is a great company who knows what they are doing and consistently puts out great products that produce great results. The big question for me is how do they stack up against ported 243 heads? I can see the Dart heads benefiting guys who don't already have the 234 castings.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Phil at AI got back with me and confirmed that these are the Dart/RHS 205 bare castings that are CNC'd by AI to 223cc and include the different valvetrain options. Phil said all these heads are sold exclusively through RHS, so they have the RHS logo cut into the end of them. Phil goes on to say the Dart/RHS 223cc heads were done as a private label for another company years back as something that would be equivalent to their 226cc CNC'd GM 243 heads. So, it sounds like they will yeild similar results. I checked out the flow data and the Dart/RHS 223cc heads flow more than the AI 226 CNC'd GM 243 heads. One big benefit I see in the Dart/RHS heads is the extra thick deck surface. Plus, if you don't have 243 heads laying around, it looks as if this option ends up being a little bit cheaper. Opinions anyone?

Quick Reply: Anyone checked out Advanced Induction's new Dart/RHS CNC'd head program?