Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i keep blowing 02 sensors every 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation i keep blowing 02 sensors every 2 weeks

i have a silver 2000 z28 and i keep blowing the 02 sensor on the driver side every 2 weeks since i got my cam installed. cam is a TSP 224/228 and ive had my guy tune my car a few times since the cam install and it seems to keep going back to extremely rich and ruining 02s. my guy that tunes my car told me last time that it was running on 6 AFR and he thinks something could be physically broken. before he tuned it, my car with full bolt ons had a TSP WOT tune and he said my injectors were running extremely hard and were basically running like i was racing whether i was racing or normal driving. is it possible that my injectors have gone bad and are maybe stuck open causing me to burn stupid amounts of fuel, run rich, and pop 02's? before i used to have to replace them every 6 months to a year before cam. when i first bought the car it got 27 highway mpg then one day still on full bolt ons it started getting 16 highway mpg and now with cam its 14-15mpg...idk if thats relevant to anything but just in case. could it just be him not knowing what hes doing with tuning or could it actually be something broken like injectors. let me know what you guys think, thanks in advance -Alex
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you may want to check by doing a bleed down test and a compression test

I'm gonna guess you have a problem with something on that side...
could be as simple as a bent valve that is letting excess blowby
or if its a problem with the rings, you may be getting a bunch of excess oil in teh cylinder blowing into that o2 causing it to fail

also, if you have a head gasket leak, it will destroy an o2 sensor really quickly...
so do a combustion leak test on your coolant

lots of things can kill an o2... moisture is typically the fastest way to kill an o2...either coolant, oil, gas, or even just condensation because of poor 02 placement.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Excessive heat can and will kill O2 sensors ,,,,,,,,but You're problem is to consistant for that .
Old 08-11-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What spark plugs are you running? Also, have you pulled your plugs to see what they look like? That will help narrow down where on the engine the problem is, whether it be one cylinder, or an entire bank.

I was getting a misfire a couple days ago that was causing my converter to randomly unlock, and didnt throw any codes. Pulled the drivers side plugs to find #7 coated in burned oil. Found out where my oil was going, and my misfire in one shot.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Excessive heat can and will kill O2 sensors ,,,,,,,,but You're problem is to consistant for that .

Not Likely in any of our consumer purchased vehicles running on Standard Fuel pump gasoline...

the amount of heat it would take to kill the o2, will hurt other things first
Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM
8 Second Club

Do you have any pictures of the dead o2 sensor?
we can easily determine if its a foreign contaminant killing them based on the color of the dead o2 sensor

heres a good picture to help

Old 08-12-2012, 02:18 PM
8 Second Club

also.. if your car kills an o2....
and it suddenly goes Way the F Rich...then your car is not tuned properly

when an O2 fails, your car goes into open loop...which means it strictly relies on the values in your MAF and VE tables for fueling.....
If the MAF and VE have been properly tuned... you should run reasonably close to Stoic(14.68 AFR on gasoline) at part throttle...
so much to a point that the only thing that would tell you there is a problem would be a little SES light on the dash

theres a reason why factory stock vehicles run fine for years with an SES turned on because people are too lazy to check the code or to replace a bad sensor...

trust me... Big Dodge truck at a friends house ran for a year and a half with a bad o2 sensor and he had no ill effects from driving it with a bad o2...said he noticed it didnt get quite as good gas mileage sometimes...like the difference of 22mp down to 20mpg
Old 08-14-2012, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Default Re:

on the chart of the 4 02s above it looks like the one running really rich but i had my guy hook his computer up to it again and he said the 02 is perfect and then when the car hits 131 degrees bank 1 drops and then starts to throw in max fuel (25%) on bank 1, begins to act really sluggish unless under WOT and thats whats causing them to look like the 02 running rich on the chart above...he said he doesnt know whats causing it but he said it may be oil on the contacts to where the 02 plugs in or it may even be that its getting too hot because the cable runs by the header where it plugs in which may be the reason the sensor starts to fail after about 5-10 minutes of driving. he also said whatever is causing this to my 02 i might want to check the spark plugs all on that side too. any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:30 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet_Z28
on the chart of the 4 02s above it looks like the one running really rich but i had my guy hook his computer up to it again and he said the 02 is perfect and then when the car hits 131 degrees bank 1 drops and then starts to throw in max fuel (25%) on bank 1, begins to act really sluggish unless under WOT and thats whats causing them to look like the 02 running rich on the chart above...he said he doesnt know whats causing it but he said it may be oil on the contacts to where the 02 plugs in or it may even be that its getting too hot because the cable runs by the header where it plugs in which may be the reason the sensor starts to fail after about 5-10 minutes of driving. he also said whatever is causing this to my 02 i might want to check the spark plugs all on that side too. any thoughts?

can you get a log of this happening and post it please....
can you post a copy of your Tune please

can you pull a couple of plugs and post pictures of them as well
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

i keep blowing 02 sensors every 2 weeks-img_1357.jpg

i have to use 2002 corvette 02 sensors because the camaro 02s in my year model wont reach far enough
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

im gonna try and call my tuner and ask him to email me the log and tune. he tunes with hp tuners.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Unhappy Update

so i cleaned all the oil off the contacts to where the 02 plugs in and made sure there was no oil in or around the plug and i drove it around and instead of 5 minutes it drove great for 30 minutes and now it turned off the ASR (traction control) by itself and wont let me turn it back on and it looks like thin white smoke coming out of the exhaust (hard to tell at night) and its doing the same thing again...driving like sh*t i really dont want to put it in the shop but im about out of options. i did however pull out one of the spark plugs and it looked like the 02 did, really black from running really rich. i doubt its the MAF because its only messing up bank 1, bank 2 is normal. so if anyone has any more suggestions before i put it in the shop and fork over a big pretty penny it would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: i keep blowing 02 sensors every 2 weeks