Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ID This Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ID This Timing Chain

Can anyone identify this timing chain for me? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like this to me:

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...enter/sdcs1135
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueshifty
Looks like you got it. I was thinking it may be a Rollermaster Single Roller Billet Timing Chain Set. Either way it has a little bit of deflection in the chain, should I replace it? Has 9k miles on it.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

By deflection, I assume you're talking about slack? If so, usually people worry way too much about it. If the gears look fine you could go with an IWIS or a Katech C5R chain or maybe use this opportunity to upgrade to a dual depending on your setup, but honestly with that few miles I'd assume you're fine.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

While the photo in the link looks the same, the bottom of the SDPC link states "Might differ slightly from photo."

The OP's photo appears to be a dual chain. The SDPC branded N-Motion are rebranded JP Performance products.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Bro, the OPs setup is not a dual chain. With single row sets there are very few manufacturers of the chains themselves... Rolon (the most common), IWIS, GM HD (LS2) and C5R chain are pretty much the standards. You're right N-Motion/ JP Performance are the same and they use Rolon chains. Even Cloyes uses Rolon or IWIS chains. With timing sets there's really not a lot of diversity.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Talking

Bro, the OPs setup is not a dual chain. With single row sets there are very few manufacturers of the chains themselves... Rolon (the most common), IWIS, GM HD (LS2) and C5R chain are pretty much the standards. You're right N-Motion/ JP Performance are the same and they use Rolon chains. Even Cloyes uses Rolon or IWIS chains. With timing sets there's really not a lot of diversity.
Crap, I need new glasses
Old 05-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

C5R chain would be a nice upgrade with those gears. The single chain on the Rollmaster/JP/insert whatever brand here is usually the cheap Rolon as stated. The LS2 is a Renold chain, and IWIS has two seamless chains - the HD and the C5R. All would be an upgrade over the Rolon.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

I vote a add a chain dampener and keep what you have. Most chains break from "wrap around" and it has happened to several that even run the dual setups. Normally it is only a problem with road course cars that see lots of variation in upper rpms...still it would be cheap insurance. It appears your block is not tapped for the LS6 dampener, so I would look at the trickflow setup.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 05-10-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
C5R chain would be a nice upgrade with those gears. The single chain on the Rollmaster/JP/insert whatever brand here is usually the cheap Rolon as stated. The LS2 is a Renold chain, and IWIS has two seamless chains - the HD and the C5R. All would be an upgrade over the Rolon.
You make it sound like the Rolon is the worst chain on the market. This thread gives more detail about the Rolon.
When I bought my Progear, this is what the ad copy said about it.
H Style ROLON (made in India) Chain with 20% Thicker Inside Links and Chromium-Infused Pins
Precision, Cold-formed Seamless .250 Rollers, Polished and Shot Peened with Fully Burnished Inside Diameter
I read another thread that stated breakage tests and the Rolon was 1.3% weaker than the standard IWIS. Made almost the same. It led me to believe the Rolon is better than the Renold LS2 chain.

Quick Reply: ID This Timing Chain