Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full CNC Top End Kit for Sale on Ebay...Legit or Knockoff? Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full CNC Top End Kit for Sale on Ebay...Legit or Knockoff? Help

So i've been browsing around for a heads package for my LS1 and stumbled upon this huge package on ebay with what looks like to be a good full top end package but no real brand names.

Looking for input and thoughts on what you guys think and maybe even personal experiences. I am aware it might be a stupid question and I apologize in advance.

Here is the Ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS6-TOP-...723ad8&vxp=mtr

Thank you for any replies.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like a typhoon manifold. But everything else no idea
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

The description does not include any specific brand names.
No pictures of said cnc work.
I would stay away.
Good luck.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chaos07
Looks like a typhoon manifold. But everything else no idea
Thought the same thing! What makes me wonder is it's not cheap to manufacture all of those components so how can they offer it for that price with so much in the package..
Old 11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call them and ask for brand names and who does the porting.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zpup
Thought the same thing! What makes me wonder is it's not cheap to manufacture all of those components so how can they offer it for that price with so much in the package..
I'm no expert on casting metals, but I can tell you very very few people do it. MOST out source. Mostly import from overseas.

I think you really just comparing to what others sell their heads for.

Also consider, there is a business practice which people sell stuff at super low cheap prices, sometimes below the cost of making it. This practice is to steal business away from competitors forcing them to crumble.

I don't like to pre-mature bash a product because the of the price tag. Just because its not marked up 75% doesnt mean its junk.

Looks like the parts are located in the US too...so they could easily be returned.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Price out versions of those components you know to be quality pieces and then when this is half the cost maybe it will raise an eyebrow as to how quality pieces could be made so cheaply.

I am no metal worker but the phrase "Gravity Die Cast" sounds like how I used to make jigheads and sinkers as a kid. Molten pot of lead a hinged mold, close mold put it under the pot, open the valve and let gravity feed lead into the mold, could endup with wrinkles and pockets and all sorts of flaws not really important in a piece of fishing tackle, but I would think the method for casting QUALITY heads would be a little more involved to avoid porosity and such. Sounds to me like they threw something out there hoping most people are too ignorant to understand what it means but are willing to trust it is good.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Price out versions of those components you know to be quality pieces and then when this is half the cost maybe it will raise an eyebrow as to how quality pieces could be made so cheaply.

I am no metal worker but the phrase "Gravity Die Cast" sounds like how I used to make jigheads and sinkers as a kid. Molten pot of lead a hinged mold, close mold put it under the pot, open the valve and let gravity feed lead into the mold, could endup with wrinkles and pockets and all sorts of flaws not really important in a piece of fishing tackle, but I would think the method for casting QUALITY heads would be a little more involved to avoid porosity and such. Sounds to me like they threw something out there hoping most people are too ignorant to understand what it means but are willing to trust it is good.

I agree, but people sometimes get caught up in the more expensive, the better which isn't always true. You have to consider and wonder...who else is selling these same parts re-badged but for more money.

Do you think Comp Cams is casting their own throttle bodies? How about the half dozen cylinder heads people? No they are not, They out source it.

People get a hold of these programs, designs, molds and get someone oversea to make them cheaper direct. No Pun intended, but ask "XXX" who cast their house brand heads. They wont tell you....fishy aint it?

I can't say something is crap until I actually see it.

Ebay is harsh on sellers. Since he is in California AND has thousands of feedback, I think your money is safe if the quality is bad.

One last point...are you worried about performance or appeal? Some products may not visually look "perfect", but they perform and are reliable.

I have used water pumps, intakes, throttle bodies, and distributesr from the "sketchy" deals, but they seem to have worked out for me.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Launching!

If you guys zoom in on the throttle body, the label says it's a Procomp Motorsports throttle body.

http://www.jegs.com/v/Procomp-Electronics/746

Never heard of the brand though....
Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Suzaku
If you guys zoom in on the throttle body, the label says it's a Procomp Motorsports throttle body.

http://www.jegs.com/v/Procomp-Electronics/746

Never heard of the brand though....
They sell tons of affordable automotive parts.

I have used their aluminum water pump. Good product.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I agree, but people sometimes get caught up in the more expensive, the better which isn't always true. You have to consider and wonder...who else is selling these same parts re-badged but for more money.

I am kind of a middle to upper end buyer. You get into "top end" names and you are paying for name and marketing and a LOT of magazine ads.

On the other end you buy rock bottom price stuff and it is rock bottom price for a reason.

You are also right that there are a lot of brands and few actual manufacturers.

I don't trust a lot of ebay feedback, the feedback period is too short and for the most part people who buy something like this on ebay aren't going to know the difference between good and bad parts.

I have known guys who loved parts they bought till they saw something else and then took a closer look at what they loved first and realized it was JUNK. A friend had heads/intake done by a very popular vendor on this forum and was happy till he took it apart for a leak or something and tried to clean things up and the intake was ported paper thin and as soon as he tried to clean it he was punching holes which made him look even closer and all the shoddy workman ship was then visible to him.
Lesson being a lot of people are happy with what they have just because they don't know any better.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Teching In

it says if you have a WELL BUILT GM MOTOR you can make 520hp lol

What exactly is a well built GM motor

Save your money and buy from a trusted seller
Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good response AceBoogie! All too often there are internet scams that do nothing but make you spend your money on sub par parts and services.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What exactly is a well built GM motor
Probably means a healthy well running motor, not some beat up 14 year old 200k mile engine.

Although I would stay away from this. I don't even think the heads are an actual GM casting that they just hog out (which is bad enough).
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The heads are also Procomp. If you look at their other auctions, you'll find the brand that the heads are sold under and when you do a search for that brand, you'll find out that they are made by Procomp.

Quick Reply: Full CNC Top End Kit for Sale on Ebay...Legit or Knockoff? Help