Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cams from Tick Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Martin@Tick

I just recieved my stage 3 Polluter V2 cam today. It may be a dumb questions but it is a 112+3 LSA. Do I just install the timing gears dot to dot?

Also, roughly what kind of numbers should I seeing on a M6 LS1 with AFR 205 heads with comp 921 springs and yella terra rockers and a Fast 102 intake/throttle body? I have a strange s60 as well with 4:10's and a monster stage 5 clutch.

Very excited to get it all together.

Last edited by 1slowbusa; 05-09-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Ported 243 heads. Keep the LS6 intake on it until you just can't stand looking at your dyno graph anymore and want that last little bit!
My motor is an LS2. I understand the LS2 intake is restrictive. Should I still go with ported my heads before FAST?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

LS2 intake can be ported to yield better results, try some research in Australian forums.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Isn't "Saturday Night Special" the name of a B+M converter line??? That's as creative as yall could get?

EDIT: Here it is.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/torque-con...t-special.html

Better hope that's not registered or that's some kinda copyright infringement.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 05-10-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
@Martin@Tick

I just recieved my stage 3 Polluter V2 cam today. It may be a dumb questions but it is a 112+3 LSA. Do I just install the timing gears dot to dot?

Also, roughly what kind of numbers should I seeing on a M6 LS1 with AFR 205 heads with comp 921 springs and yella terra rockers and a Fast 102 intake/throttle body? I have a strange s60 as well with 4:10's and a monster stage 5 clutch.

Very excited to get it all together.
Yes install it dot to dot. Crank gear dot at 12 O'clock, cam gear dot at 6 O'clock.

I would conservatively guess that you will be a 460-470rwhp/410-420rwtq.
Originally Posted by DACTARI
My motor is an LS2. I understand the LS2 intake is restrictive. Should I still go with ported my heads before FAST?
Yes. You'll gain more from the heads than the Fast intake. I would also do a Fast 92 instead of a 102 if you go that route.,
Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
LS2 intake can be ported to yield better results, try some research in Australian forums.
Yep, even ported they're just marginally better than a LS1 intake manifold.
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Isn't "Saturday Night Special" the name of a B+M converter line??? That's as creative as yall could get?

Go troll somewhere else.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

It's also the title of an epic Lynyrd Skynyrd song. And the nickname of little guns that suprise the **** out of people.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMAO!!! ^^^ and im sure the nickname of alot more too.I could be wrong but Torquemax is the name of the cam line? right?

so who cares whats the nickname is....its a winner to me!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
FormerVendor

I see the troll deleted his posts. Momma always said, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothing at all."

John,

I have been specifying the "SNS" camshafts for longer than they have been known as "TorqueMAX" camshafts. It was my "little nickname" for them when they were just custom grinds I did a lot. The line up of those cams is the "Saturday Night Special" line of cams, but they're designated with the "TorqueMAX" name. Just like we have the "Elite Series of Camshafts" that are designated "Street Heat".
Old 05-11-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, even ported they're just marginally better than a LS1 intake manifold.

The couple of trips I've taken to Australia have taught me different. As with everything, if done properly by the right people.
I found the Aussies very resourceful and imaginative in ways of making power with US muscle.
Necessity prolly due to shortage of parts, makes for creative minds. I think our market is spoiled, and as usual too many bandwagoners.
Gotta think out of the box and add to the "mix".
Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

martin, ive been following this thread for a while because i'm planning on a 370 swap into my 02' regular cab chevy pickup. now its time for me to actually order the longblock and i don't have any idea which direction to go. I have read so much info that its all running together. I cant decide to go LQ9 setup with 317 heads or LQ9 with LY6 pistons and LS3 heads. This is going to be my only truck and will be driven several times a week, but i want it to be real fun so stock wont do and i want a mean cam.

I love the sound of the torquemax cams btw....

Maybe you can tell me what to do?

thx

Longblock coming from TMS btw,

Last edited by Link7787; 05-11-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

I'm trying to help a friend pick out a cam for his '00 LS1 SS that has nearly identical supporting mods (Intake/Exhaust) to my car. He really likes the way mine sounds, drives, and pulls. Your SNS Stage 2 is dangerously close to my custom grind and I want to recommend it to him. The only difference is the LSA/ICL. Can you explain the functional and observable differences between your SNS Stage 2 and my cam given the different LSA/ICL?

227/235 | .61x"/.62x" | LSA110+3 - SNS Stage 2
227/235 | .614 /.621 | LSA113+2 - Mine

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 05-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Link7787
martin, ive been following this thread for a while because i'm planning on a 370 swap into my 02' regular cab chevy pickup. now its time for me to actually order the longblock and i don't have any idea which direction to go. I have read so much info that its all running together. I cant decide to go LQ9 setup with 317 heads or LQ9 with LY6 pistons and LS3 heads. This is going to be my only truck and will be driven several times a week, but i want it to be real fun so stock wont do and i want a mean cam.

I love the sound of the torquemax cams btw....

Maybe you can tell me what to do?

thx

Longblock coming from TMS btw,
If you're going to have a 4.030" bore then you can make use of the 2.16" intake valve. I also will say using compression and quench to your advantage will be extremely advantageous with your truck being as heavy as it is. We need to maximize pumping losses and I bet 75% of my customers don't use compression to their advantage when setting their build up in their heads or on paper.

Hopefully here very soon the LS3 style heads will have their own TorqueMAX camshaft line up.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
I'm trying to help a friend pick out a cam for his '00 LS1 SS that has nearly identical supporting mods (Intake/Exhaust) to my car. He really likes the way mine sounds, drives, and pulls. Your SNS Stage 2 is dangerously close to my custom grind and I want to recommend it to him. The only difference is the LSA/ICL. Can you explain the functional and observable differences between your SNS Stage 2 and my cam given the different LSA/ICL?

227/235 | .61x"/.62x" | LSA110+3 - SNS Stage 2
227/235 | .614 /.621 | LSA113+2 - Mine
The difference between yours and mine are vast even though the lobes used and duration figures are identical. Here are the valve events for your cam and then my cam:

Yours:

Mine:

The real world differences would be quite different. Your cam has a much later intake valve close event. This will first of all lose dynamic compression which will lose torque across the board. Your later intake valve close event will also shift the RPM upwards in which torque peaks along with horsepower. This normally would equate to a higher peak torque and horsepower figure versus my camshaft with a much earlier intake valve close event. That said, I don't see that being the truth in this instance. Your cam also has an earlier exhaust valve open event which will cause a loss in low speed torque as well, but will gain some peak horsepower because of this. The longer you can keep the exhaust valve closed at low engine speeds the more torque you make. The only downside to this is the longer you keep it closed, at higher engine speeds when the piston is moving much faster, the exhaust port has less time to evacuate the cylinder. If the exhaust valve doesn't open early enough spent exhaust gas will be present in the cylinder on the intake stroke which will take up precious space in the chamber/cylinder that could of been occupied by fresh air/fuel charge. This will be seen in a dyno graph as a rapid decline in power after horsepower peaks, and the longer the keep the exhaust valve closed the less top end you will make....most of the time.

When I say a later IVC event normally makes more peak power versus an earlier, but not in this case here is what I mean by that.....

My cam has twice the amount of overlap that your cam does. This will make more torque every single time. Overlap=torque and torque=horsepower. Torque is an actual relative measurement whereas horsepower is a mathematical figure generated by a given torque figure/5250rpmxrpm in which the given torque figure is made. The further you carry torque into the rpm band the more horsepower it will make. End of story. My cam having 10 degrees of overlap versus your cams 5 degrees combined with the added cylinder pressure my cam makes versus yours and it's later exhaust valve opening event means mine will have more bottom end torque, more torque across the board, more peak torque, more peak horsepower and a broader power band. The only downside to this is loss of drivability. That said 10 degrees of overlap isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things and can be tamed very easily with competent tuning.

Everything I've made a point of in this post is the reason why the torqueMAX cams are torque minded. It all comes down to this:

-More cylinder pressure for added torque across the board and down low
-Earlier intake valve close event makes more torque down low and at peak torque
-Later exhaust valve opening event makes for more torque down low
-Added overlap helps properly scavenge spent exhaust gas and incoming air/fuel charge to ensure power continues to climb rapidly after peak torque and adds to mid-range and top end power even with a later opening exhaust valve event
-When an optimal amount of cylinder pressure is present, overlap will boost bottom end torque(on the contrary added overlap without optimum cylinder pressure will LOSE bottom end torque).
-Added overlap along with added cylinder pressure makes for a broader power band

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 05-14-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

*Awesomeness*
Excellent information! That helps a ton!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

cant wait to see dyno numbers on them....
Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Martin, you need to write a book.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

We'd never sell another cam again if I did that!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He could, but would obviously hurt his business because every other cam grinder would be copying it. His customer service and write ups are top notch for anybody eyeing this thread or one of his cams. He spec'd me a rather large cam for my build but after numerous emails and him explaining every detail to me I fully understand his reasoning and I cant wait to install it (I ordered it today).
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06Sierra2
He could, but would obviously hurt his business because every other cam grinder would be copying it. His customer service and write ups are top notch for anybody eyeing this thread or one of his cams. He spec'd me a rather large cam for my build but after numerous emails and him explaining every detail to me I fully understand his reasoning and I cant wait to install it (I ordered it today).
Correct, When I blow my LS1 up, I'm planning to get a 408 shortblock and run it with my current heads and Martin's recipe cam LOL!!! My stage 3 SNS is amazing it pulls like crazy but you always gotta ask for more!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
There are results over at the LS2GTO.com forum as well where ported LS2 intakes yielded good results.

Quick Reply: New cams from Tick Performance