Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cams from Tick Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
As much as I love Chris' work, I have extreme doubts about that deal...

I want to know what it traps in the 1/4 at what weight and I would really want to see it spin the drums on an inertia style roller like a Dyno Jet. You can easily manipulate a MD to read whatever you want it to read.
You can manipulate any dyno to read what you want it to read. I agree id like to see some trap speeds as well. Ive seen guys make 550 wheel with out of the box trick flows on similar cubic inch engines without question, its not far fetched for me to believe that an extensively worked runner and chamber could put up another 50 with a very well designed combo.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by key4
Martin, I tried to email you about a custom cam but unsure if I sent it right. Do you have a email I can contact you direct? I think I sent one to ticksupport email but haven't received anything yet

Thanks
josh
If you sent it any time after Monday last week chances are I haven't gotten to it yet since we were closed.

I'll try to look at it soon.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slowsol95
You can manipulate any dyno to read what you want it to read. I agree id like to see some trap speeds as well. Ive seen guys make 550 wheel with out of the box trick flows on similar cubic inch engines without question, its not far fetched for me to believe that an extensively worked runner and chamber could put up another 50 with a very well designed combo.
Yes you can manipulate any dyno, but a mustang dyno is the easiest and simple to manipulate. Do you know how a mustang dyno is told to apply the correct amount of load? The operator! They apply load based on vehicle weight and aerodynamics so that real world simulations are achieved.

You don't do that with a dyno jet as a dyno jet uses a fixed weight drum that is used to calculate torque. The only way you can alter an unloaded or loaded dyno jet that operates as an inertia style dyno is to cut material off the drum itself and then every car reads high.

The owner of the car said they "calibrated" the dyno to read like a dyno jet. That just isn't a good representation of what a 416 with good heads and a fast intake will make IMO and gives guys false hope.

550-560 would be an achievement and is my guess as to what it would actually make on a dyno jet. Again that is still very respectable for a 416 with a small cam. Knowing what kind of cylinder pressure would have to be made at the rpm it was made at to make those HP numbers with that engine package just doesn't seem logical or possible. If it had a single plane with 12:1 compression and a big cam I'd believe it, but just not in that form.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Sadly Martin, a lot of guys who build the big dollar street engines will never have the car properly set up to get an accurate track number out of it. We will probably never know
Old 12-31-2014, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Having a hard time deciding between the torque max stage 3 and the street heat stage 3.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slowsol95
Sadly Martin, a lot of guys who build the big dollar street engines will never have the car properly set up to get an accurate track number out of it. We will probably never know
Agreed 100%.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Martin, I shot you an e-mail a couple of days ago, trying to get my set-up on a 02 SS figured out. I'm ready to pull the trigger, just want to talk it over with you before doing so. I know you're busy, so when you get a chance if you could get back to me that would be great! Thanks,

Last edited by 69gto96z; 01-20-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroboricua
I'm just going to ask this for future reference. I just installed a btr stage 2 n/a (227/234 .613/.576 113+2) but the car didn't really pick up any power from the previous cam which I did not know the car had when I bought it (224/220 .581/.581 115). Car traps the same 114 mph as it did before the cam swap. I really wanted to buy one of your sns cams but I was worried about p to v clearances because I did not know the specs on the heads and I got the btr cheap. Now I know that my 243 heads have been ported and milled to 62 cc's. I have an ls6 intake/tb hooker lt's, 36lb red injectors, ls7 lifters with a t56 and 12 bolt with 4.11 gears. Which cam would you recommend as an upgrade? I have to somehow convince the wife to let me do it after I just finished it 2 weeks ago... lol
I posted this a little while back and you probably missed it Martin. I am seriously considering a cam swap now because of the identical trap speed and also I had the car dynoed this past saturday and it only picked up about 10 hp from before. I also really want a more agressive sound. sounds like a baby cam right now lol. currently the car has stock thickness MLS head gaskets which I believe are .053. I want to be able to get the most power out of it. A friend made 465hp with milled PRC heads and an MS4 so they keep telling me to get an MS4 but I know it wont fit. Plus, I like the power band on your cams better. I hope you can point me in the right direction so I can do this one last time and not have to mess with it again.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Martin, I shot you an e-mail a couple of days ago, trying to get my set-up on a 02 SS figured out. I'm ready to pull the trigger, just want to talk it over with you before doing so. I know you're busy, so when you get a chance if you could get back to me that would be great! Thanks,
I'm currently running about 2-3 days behind on emails. I apologize immensely, but I'm a one man show when it comes to cams and everything else they have me doing here.

I'll hopefully get to it today as I have a bunch of emails to get to before I go home.
Originally Posted by camaroboricua
I posted this a little while back and you probably missed it Martin. I am seriously considering a cam swap now because of the identical trap speed and also I had the car dynoed this past saturday and it only picked up about 10 hp from before. I also really want a more agressive sound. sounds like a baby cam right now lol. currently the car has stock thickness MLS head gaskets which I believe are .053. I want to be able to get the most power out of it. A friend made 465hp with milled PRC heads and an MS4 so they keep telling me to get an MS4 but I know it wont fit. Plus, I like the power band on your cams better. I hope you can point me in the right direction so I can do this one last time and not have to mess with it again.
In my opinion for you to see a large enough meaningful gain in power, reduction in E.T. and increase in trap speed you'll need to go to a cam like our SNS Stage 3. The only problem with that camshaft in your combination is you will have to fly-cut the pistons in order to have safe P to V.

The largest camshaft I feel comfortable with you using in your application without fly-cutting is our 231/235 111+2 LS2 SNS Stage 2. The problem with that camshaft is that it is not a large enough of a difference in valve events for the engine to gain enough power for this to be a worth while swap.

If I were you, I'd mill your heads to 58cc, buy .040" gaskets, buy the SNS Stage 3 and add another 20-30rwhp to your combination.

You could also take the heads and send them to Chris Frank and have him do his Stage 2 CNC program. I know you said they're already ported, but he would add larger valves (2.040"/1.575") and his port is most likely going to be a bit better than what you currently have.

There is a chance though that the heads are already pretty well "hogged out", meaning the cross section is larger than Chris' "Stage 2" CNC program. He wouldn't be able to run his CNC program on them if this is the case. He might be able to re-shape the ports to his liking by hand and still add the larger intake and exhaust valve, but you'd need him to evaluate the heads first.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem Martin, i have noticed you are very busy when i have called up there. Just looking to get this going as quickly as possible. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

In my opinion for you to see a large enough meaningful gain in power, reduction in E.T. and increase in trap speed you'll need to go to a cam like our SNS Stage 3. The only problem with that camshaft in your combination is you will have to fly-cut the pistons in order to have safe P to V.

The largest camshaft I feel comfortable with you using in your application without fly-cutting is our 231/235 111+2 LS2 SNS Stage 2. The problem with that camshaft is that it is not a large enough of a difference in valve events for the engine to gain enough power for this to be a worth while swap.

If I were you, I'd mill your heads to 58cc, buy .040" gaskets, buy the SNS Stage 3 and add another 20-30rwhp to your combination.

You could also take the heads and send them to Chris Frank and have him do his Stage 2 CNC program. I know you said they're already ported, but he would add larger valves (2.040"/1.575") and his port is most likely going to be a bit better than what you currently have.

There is a chance though that the heads are already pretty well "hogged out", meaning the cross section is larger than Chris' "Stage 2" CNC program. He wouldn't be able to run his CNC program on them if this is the case. He might be able to re-shape the ports to his liking by hand and still add the larger intake and exhaust valve, but you'd need him to evaluate the heads first.
First off, Thank You for taking the time to respond. Im kind of bummed now cause I was really hoping the sns stage 3 would fit as is. LOL Im curious if my tune is part of why I only dynoed 378hp with a set up in which other people have done 425. I understand all dynos will be different but thats a pretty big gap. The tune is probably pretty conservative since I can still squeeze 23 mpg out of it even with the 4.11's. Anyway, If that sns ls2 stage 2 has been proven to make around 440 I can live with that to keep the cost down. I know you gotta pay to play but I have to convince the wife of that lol. Im going to put some numbers together and maybe I can actually do your recommendation of the fly cutting and milling with the stage 3. I really love how that cam sounds and the way it makes power is awesome. I am also considering leaving the car as is and throwing some N2O at it. 100 shot is what I was thinking. Im kinda scared of Nitrous though. Heard too many horror stories so Im unsure If I really want to use it. Heck, I even considered the sns stage 2 (ls1) just for the sound LOL
Old 02-09-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got my SNS 3 installed. Idles decent for a stock tune. Just gotta button a few more things up, and shes ready for the dyno. Scheduled for Feb 28, i will upload numbers after the tune.

Quick idle vid:
Tick SNS 3 untuned:

Stock engine bay:

Completed engine bay, still a little dirty:
Old 02-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Just order an sns stage 3 last week to go in my 6.0 Vega build. Anybody have any dyno numbers on a lq4 with this cam and 243 heads?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Default LS3 With Tick SNS Stage 2 cam and kit

I just did a Tick performance LS3 Stage 2 cam kit installation on my 2011 C6.

The car has Kooks 1-7/8 LT's with catted X pipe into stock NPP mufflers, Halltech CAI and a trunion upgrade

Martin spent the time to answer my questions and gave me his recommendation on a cam for my car and driving style

What a great cam...sounds like a complete beast and still has great street manors for a cam making this much power.

487 RWHP and 448 RWTQ and still great throttle response

56 RWHP from a cam only install

Thanks Martin for your time.
Attached Thumbnails New cams from Tick Performance-image.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mysloride
I just did a Tick performance LS3 Stage 2 cam kit installation on my 2011 C6.

The car has Kooks 1-7/8 LT's with catted X pipe into stock NPP mufflers, Halltech CAI and a trunion upgrade

Martin spent the time to answer my questions and gave me his recommendation on a cam for my car and driving style

What a great cam...sounds like a complete beast and still has great street manors for a cam making this much power.

487 RWHP and 448 RWTQ and still great throttle response

56 RWHP from a cam only install

Thanks Martin for your time.
Looks good! 55-65rwhp has been the normal gain from that camshaft on average.

Enjoy!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What gear size would you recommend with the Tick Performance Polluter V1 with a H/C/I set up & 150 shot of spray?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Martin, I'm seriously considering changing up my combo quite a bit. I currently have the SNS Stage 2 cam, but am thinking about going with a much larger cam; something in the very upper 230's/lower 240's intake and upper 240's exhaust. My plan is to pull the heads because I'm going to have to fly-cut either way, so while I've got the heads off, I would have them milled down much farther than they already are. I'm not sure what compression you think would work best, but in my mind, I'm thinking something around 12:1 on pump gas 93 octane. For the intake, it will be either the new MSD Atomic, the new Vararam, or a FAST 102mm. For the TB, it will for sure be a NW 102mm. My goal with this is going to be hitting 500+ on the dyno and hopefully with a new rear and more seat time hitting high 10's NA. I've already got ARP rod bolts, so I'm good with spinning this thing to 7000 or higher. My question for you is this Martin; Right now, with the SNS Stage 2 and my AI Dart/RHS heads, my PTV clearance is .080 on the intake and .100 on the exhaust side. Let's say you spec me a cam in the 238/244 111 LSA or 240/246 110 LSA range, what would be the optimal DCR and SCR? Also, what would you run for head gaskets and how thick of pushrods should I run? I assume you will say .040 head gaskets to optimize quench. I've attached the flow numbers of the heads also. As always, look forward to hearing back from you.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
What gear size would you recommend with the Tick Performance Polluter V1 with a H/C/I set up & 150 shot of spray?
Your 4.30 rear gear selection is a good one IMO, but it may need 7000-7200 through the traps on the spray, possibly even higher depending on tire size. On motor I feel that gear is perfect for a 6800rpm-7000rpm crossing RPM.
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Martin, I'm seriously considering changing up my combo quite a bit. I currently have the SNS Stage 2 cam, but am thinking about going with a much larger cam; something in the very upper 230's/lower 240's intake and upper 240's exhaust. My plan is to pull the heads because I'm going to have to fly-cut either way, so while I've got the heads off, I would have them milled down much farther than they already are. I'm not sure what compression you think would work best, but in my mind, I'm thinking something around 12:1 on pump gas 93 octane. For the intake, it will be either the new MSD Atomic, the new Vararam, or a FAST 102mm. For the TB, it will for sure be a NW 102mm. My goal with this is going to be hitting 500+ on the dyno and hopefully with a new rear and more seat time hitting high 10's NA. I've already got ARP rod bolts, so I'm good with spinning this thing to 7000 or higher. My question for you is this Martin; Right now, with the SNS Stage 2 and my AI Dart/RHS heads, my PTV clearance is .080 on the intake and .100 on the exhaust side. Let's say you spec me a cam in the 238/244 111 LSA or 240/246 110 LSA range, what would be the optimal DCR and SCR? Also, what would you run for head gaskets and how thick of pushrods should I run? I assume you will say .040 head gaskets to optimize quench. I've attached the flow numbers of the heads also. As always, look forward to hearing back from you.

I'd shoot for 11.5-11.7:1 and a 8.5-8.7 DCR.

.040" gaskets and dual tapered 3/8" to 5/16" .135" wall Trend push rods.

Also a good set of lifters wouldn't be a bad idea as well. Morel 5315 is a great choice on a budget.

I'd be really intrigued to see what the MSD intake can do...
Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your 4.30 rear gear selection is a good one IMO, but it may need 7000-7200 through the traps on the spray, possibly even higher depending on tire size. On motor I feel that gear is perfect for a 6800rpm-7000rpm crossing RPM.

I'd shoot for 11.5-11.7:1 and a 8.5-8.7 DCR.

.040" gaskets and dual tapered 3/8" to 5/16" .135" wall Trend push rods.

Also a good set of lifters wouldn't be a bad idea as well. Morel 5315 is a great choice on a budget.

I'd be really intrigued to see what the MSD intake can do...
Thanks Martin. So how do you go about making sure that SCR and DCR are met? Am I wrong in saying that the amount you have to fly-cut plays a factor in SCR and DCR compression? I know the more you mill the heads, the deeper you have to fly-cut, correct?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thanks Martin. So how do you go about making sure that SCR and DCR are met? Am I wrong in saying that the amount you have to fly-cut plays a factor in SCR and DCR compression? I know the more you mill the heads, the deeper you have to fly-cut, correct?
I fly cut my pistons .070" intake and exhaust and I figured it to be about 1-1.5cc.

Quick Reply: New cams from Tick Performance