Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriots heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriots heads

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I got a 99 C5 a few months ago, Just got done putting on bbk shortys and obx exhaust. It sounds like a beast, and runs so much better than stock.

Now ofcourse I have the mod bug or whatever its called so I'm looking at cams because with an LS1 you might as well spend the $$ and get it over with. I don't want to spend as much for a fast manifold and tb when I could have a tsp 228r.

I should be getting a refund check for the warranty I never used on my last car in a few weeks and I was going to use it to get the tsp cam, hd oil pump, timing chain ect but I came upon this and thought it might be a better idea.

I most likely wont have this amount of money any time soon again so it seems like a good idea to get this and then start collecting the pieces for the cam install one by one even if it takes a year.

What do you guys think? - http://www.aacorvette.com/performanc...roducts_id=191

Since it claims the compression raises I take it I'd have to get a tune right? Would it be ok to run this with a stock cam for up to a year? I'm sure Ill be able to do it alot sooner than that though.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Nvrfastenough87; 04-13-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patriot heads were pretty good for the price. On par with tsp or tea factory castings. Id change the cam if I was going the the trouble of swapping heads, you'll get a lot more out of those heads with a new cam. Just start collecting parts as you can and do it all at once.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

I ran Patriots on my '97 corvette and went from 12.30 to 11.70 5.3 Patriot heads were the only change. I had a Yank 3200 stall, 3:42 gears, long tubes, and LS6 intake.

Cam was a comp 228 can't remember all of the specs
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't waste time doing heads without cam. There is gains, but they shine best when put together.

Yes, the car will have to be tuned IMMEDIATELY after you finish any major modifications or some serious damage can occur. If I were you, I would either in with a bigger cam, or mill your heads. I'm running a 224/230 comp with around .580 lift and milled my Patriot stage II 243 to 59cc. Helped compression out a ton. Clearance was tight, but no question its a better performer.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

I just installed a set of patriot stage 3 heads on my 6l and there is a very noticable "seat of the pants" difference. Hoping to go to the track soon for some ets. Have you called these guys? Patriot is no longer, they are now called promaxx. So I would call them to make sure they have them before planning a build around them. Also I would get the heads, and get a custom cam to match your setup.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Oh I definitely plan on getting a cam too, just figured I get the more expensive part out of the way.

Should I go for the 10.5-1 or 11-1? would there be a big difference or would the 10.5 just be safer.. isnt that stock zo6 compression?

Also, the ad doesn't mention rockers pushrods or lifters.. do I have to buy all that or swap it over from the stock heads?

Last edited by Nvrfastenough87; 04-14-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

11-1 would gain you more performance and better throttle response and still be pump gas friendly. Also, those shorty headers aren't going to gain anywhere near what a set of longtubes would net you.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alexus6798
11-1 would gain you more performance and better throttle response and still be pump gas friendly. Also, those shorty headers aren't going to gain anywhere near what a set of longtubes would net you.
Ok I'll definitely take your advice on that.. I thought about the LT's but theyre just so expensive I figured gettin shortys and having an exhaust shop cut out the cats and put straight (or some kind of resonated) pipes would be alot cheaper and give me great flow.. I live in FL so I can do that np.

Nice car btw

Last edited by Nvrfastenough87; 04-14-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87
Ok I'll definitely take your advice on that.. I thought about the LT's but theyre just so expensive I figured gettin shortys and having an exhaust shop cut out the cats and put straight (or some kind of resonated) pipes would be alot cheaper and give me great flow.. I live in FL so I can do that np.

Nice car btw
Thanks for comment. If you decide to go heads and cam you definitely want long tubes. Yeah, having a vette, I don't think there is really a cheap choice for those. My car felt like a new car when I installed longtubes even though I did a Fast 90/90 and 85mm MAF at the same time but you can definitely tell the difference. The exhaust note is awesome.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:09 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mkvamso
Patriot heads were pretty good for the price. On par with tsp or tea factory castings. Id change the cam if I was going the the trouble of swapping heads, you'll get a lot more out of those heads with a new cam. Just start collecting parts as you can and do it all at once.
x2. better to collect parts as you can and install all at once. long tubes will definitely be a must for optimum performance.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Well I know people bash OBX but they have LT's and xpipe for about 675 or something on ebay. I got the exhaust and not only does it look Fn great but it sounds great too. The tips are so sick and the mufflers are really tiny so you lose ALOT of weight but you don't get the crazy sound. I'm really impressed actually. So I would think their LTs would be the same.. I hear they just copy the most expensive brand and just have it made in china for a fraction of the price.

But I'm just gonna do the heads first to get it outta the way. The cam will just take me putting away 50 bucks every paycheck for a little while and then I'll have the real deal instead of just a cam. It'll be a year before I have this much money at one time again (tax time).. and it wont even be that much because I'm in trades. So its now or never.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the heads/cam and whatever other mods all at one time and get it tuned ONE time. No reason to do something and have to redo it later. It will save you money in the long run.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Teching In

True. Youre right about that.. a tune isnt cheap. Wish I had the time to learn how to do that.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87
Well I know people bash OBX but they have LT's and xpipe for about 675 or something on ebay. I got the exhaust and not only does it look Fn great but it sounds great too. The tips are so sick and the mufflers are really tiny so you lose ALOT of weight but you don't get the crazy sound. I'm really impressed actually. So I would think their LTs would be the same.. I hear they just copy the most expensive brand and just have it made in china for a fraction of the price.

But I'm just gonna do the heads first to get it outta the way. The cam will just take me putting away 50 bucks every paycheck for a little while and then I'll have the real deal instead of just a cam. It'll be a year before I have this much money at one time again (tax time).. and it wont even be that much because I'm in trades. So its now or never.
IMO, obx headers are great, there's not much difference between corvette headers and f-body headers except the price. I'm not sure why vette parts are still so expensive but you get out of that "corvette tax" with obx headers, they look and fit good. I'd reccomend them for someone trying to save some money.

If I were you I would start with boltons, a cam, and a tune. Little things will eat up a build budget real fast. You can add heads in the future and see even more gain, but dollar per HP isn't really there unless you've done other mods first. With full boltons and a cam you'll probably see an 80hp increase over stock with a decent setup.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Just found some LTs from texas speed.. no cats so it would be crazy loud but theyre even less than OBX and they come with all the extra bs you need too.. new dipstick o2 extensions.. hmmmmmmm
Old 04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Found these.. seems to good to be true compared to other pricing.. If these check out I can get the cam at the same time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS6-5-3-5-7-FULLY-CNC-RACE-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ALUMINUM-CYLINDER-HEADS-/180992905964?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a240492ec&vxp=mtr
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not buy these heads.If it looks to good to be true,it is. I would not take a chance of them falling apart at say 5k miles.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be very weary about those heads. As everyone else is saying I would wait, save up and do H/C all at once. Its not fun to tear an engine apart and know you'll have to do it again. You'll spend money on fluids twice and alot more time than rather doing it all at once. I have a set of thick deck Patriot Predator heads for a steal if you're interested. Pm me if you are. Goodluck!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... Im not going to get them just to be safe but man I hope you guys are wrong... the guys sold 39 of those head packages..thats alot of people getting screwed
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

If it were me, I'd go with those patriot heads, they're proven, and we know they work. Those ebay heads you have posted are already on another thread in here and should be worth a look if your interseted in a gut busting laugh as there is a really funny argument going on in there. Those are ProComp heads (Chinese Crap).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...bay-heads.html

But yeah, stick with the patriot heads you had picked out or talk to one of the TSP guys about any recomendations for your build.

Quick Reply: Patriots heads