Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics Of My Advanced Induction Dart/RHS 223cc Heads/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016 | 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Yeah, I'm going to do that. Any guesses on how much you think the bigger headers will pick up? The reason I think it's going to be pretty significant is because of how well the heads flow.
Nah, I'm not good at guessing these things. I don't pay attention to enough guys' combos. Not even sure what to anticipate from mine.
Old 04-14-2016 | 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Speed Engineering 1 7/8" headers arrived yesterday. They look great. Taking the car over to Kent's Saturday for a baseline on his dyno, then after the new headers are on, I'll have new numbers. I'm really hoping for 20+ rwhp pickup with these bigger headers, but we'll see. I'll get the dyno graphs posted after all is said and done.
Old 04-14-2016 | 08:02 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Speed Engineering 1 7/8" headers arrived yesterday. They look great. Taking the car over to Kent's Saturday for a baseline on his dyno, then after the new headers are on, I'll have new numbers. I'm really hoping for 20+ rwhp pickup with these bigger headers, but we'll see. I'll get the dyno graphs posted after all is said and done.
YO! When do you think your car is going to be running? Ill be goiung to autstin in about a month
Old 04-14-2016 | 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mavn
YO! When do you think your car is going to be running? Ill be goiung to autstin in about a month
It's running now. I'm just switching to bigger headers and getting the tune touched up. I'm in Jefferson City, MO too by the way.
Old 04-14-2016 | 08:14 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

It's running now. I'm just switching to bigger headers and getting the tune touched up. I'm in Jefferson City, MO too by the way.
Different phoenix lo my bad dude!
Old 04-14-2016 | 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mavn
Different phoenix lo my bad dude!
Anytime you're up this way, I'd love to run your car.
Old 04-14-2016 | 08:51 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Anytime you're up this way, I'd love to run your car.
Sounds good man
Old 04-18-2016 | 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

A bit of an update. On a HEARTBRAKER of a Mustang Dyno, my car put down 358 rwhp and 361 rwtq. The guy who built and tuned my car recently bought this Mustang dyno, and every single car that's been on it has put down some low *** numbers. Just for reference, a 6.0 with CNC ported Patriot heads, BTR stage 3 cam (bigger than mine), and a FAST 92/92 setup put down basically the exact same numbers as I made. Remember, on a different dyno about a year ago, I put down a best of 420 rwhp and 381 rwtq. Here in a few days, I'll have new numbers with the bigger 1 7/8" headers.

If my car put down the same numbers as a car with bigger cubes, a bigger cam, Patriot ported heads, and a FAST 92/92 setup, that tells me the heads are not the issue here. Honestly, the only thing I have going for me over this car is my heads are better; he's got me beat everywhere else, and I still made the same power he did. I think my setup is running slightly more compression, but not by much at all. I'm looking forward to seeing what she puts down with the bigger headers. The exhaust flow numbers of my heads are really good, so I know the 1 3/4" with 2.5" collectors headers are not allowing the heads to breath properly. I'll post up the back to back graphs once I get them.
Old 04-18-2016 | 12:50 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Boy that dyno is a dream killer. I would like to see some of the bolt on LS6's that put over 400 down to the wheels get on that dyno.
Old 04-18-2016 | 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Boy that dyno is a dream killer. I would like to see some of the bolt on LS6's that put over 400 down to the wheels get on that dyno.
Tell me about it. A 429ci engine with ls3 top end, cam spec unknown(pretty big), 12.1-12.5 comp. on e85, 107lbs injectors, twin pumps in tank, m6 with 373 gears put down only 389 rwhp.
Old 04-18-2016 | 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

A bit of an update. On a HEARTBRAKER of a Mustang Dyno, my car put down 358 rwhp and 361 rwtq. The guy who built and tuned my car recently bought this Mustang dyno, and every single car that's been on it has put down some low *** numbers. Just for reference, a 6.0 with CNC ported Patriot heads, BTR stage 3 cam (bigger than mine), and a FAST 92/92 setup put down basically the exact same numbers as I made. Remember, on a different dyno about a year ago, I put down a best of 420 rwhp and 381 rwtq. Here in a few days, I'll have new numbers with the bigger 1 7/8" headers.

If my car put down the same numbers as a car with bigger cubes, a bigger cam, Patriot ported heads, and a FAST 92/92 setup, that tells me the heads are not the issue here. Honestly, the only thing I have going for me over this car is my heads are better; he's got me beat everywhere else, and I still made the same power he did. I think my setup is running slightly more compression, but not by much at all. I'm looking forward to seeing what she puts down with the bigger headers. The exhaust flow numbers of my heads are really good, so I know the 1 3/4" with 2.5" collectors headers are not allowing the heads to breath properly. I'll post up the back to back graphs once I get them.
I wouldn't be too upset with those #'s its just a tool. Interested to see what your new exhaust picks up for you. Your going back to the same dyno ? Might be time to pony up and get that blower you've been talking about now for a while
Old 04-18-2016 | 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by conan
I wouldn't be too upset with those #'s its just a tool. Interested to see what your new exhaust picks up for you. Your going back to the same dyno ? Might be time to pony up and get that blower you've been talking about now for a while
It made 420 rwhp on a Dynojet over a year ago and no changes have been made to the car since it was put on Kent's Mustang dyno, so it just goes to show that all dyno's are very different as to what they read. The dyno runs once the bigger headers are on will be done on Kent's Mustang dyno. It will be up to him if he thinks the tune will need to be touched up, but I assume the first run will be a straight up "A" to "B" comparison, as we already have the "A" run in the books.
Old 04-18-2016 | 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

It made 420 rwhp on a Dynojet over a year ago and no changes have been made to the car since it was put on Kent's Mustang dyno, so it just goes to show that all dyno's are very different as to what they read. The dyno runs once the bigger headers are on will be done on Kent's Mustang dyno. It will be up to him if he thinks the tune will need to be touched up, but I assume the first run will be a straight up "A" to "B" comparison, as we already have the "A" run in the books.
Nice, will be cool to see some A-B comparison. Good luck with her, hope she wakes up a bit more for you.

Old 04-18-2016 | 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Me too. Another guy on here did an A to B comparison, and he ended up picking up 25 rwhp on the same dyno.
Old 04-18-2016 | 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Me too. Another guy on here did an A to B comparison, and he ended up picking up 25 rwhp on the same dyno.
The LS6 intake is holding you back, it's not the headers. As not to be short with my response I decided to add a bit more information.

You saw and even mentioned my H/C results a month or so ago. I told you then after the FAST 92/92 install the car was a different animal. I've had too many cars to speak of that make big power. Lots of respectable people including Alvin Anderson told me to add a Fast Intake after he DT'd the car and it made 440/407 with the LS6 intake and stock untouched 78MM TB. (Unfortunately the car now resides in another state and we want get the real world comparison's.)

After much soul searching I decided to pull the trigger. I'm telling you this was the very first time with a high compression motor, just switching the intake gave me that Holy S*** experience. The car was so different in every aspect. Throttle response improved by 100%.

Take me for my word. I'm not a kid with pipe dreams posting internet garbage.

The headers will help mid-top range by 5-8 hp on a dynojet.

Put a Fast 92mm on the car and you'll see where the potential really is.

Last edited by brobinson216; 04-18-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2016 | 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

A FAST setup will happen. I don't disagree I'll see the biggest gains with a FAST setup, but at the same time, I am leaving power on the table with the smaller headers. I believe the header swap alone will yield at least 10 rwhp, and I'll gain throughout the entire RPM band. I want to 100% optimize this setup, and I think I'm doing that with these headers and a FAST setup.
Old 04-18-2016 | 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A FAST setup will happen. I don't disagree I'll see the biggest gains with a FAST setup, but at the same time, I am leaving power on the table with the smaller headers. I believe the header swap alone will yield at least 10 rwhp, and I'll gain throughout the entire RPM band. I want to 100% optimize this setup, and I think I'm doing that with these headers and a FAST setup.
I don't know the history of your build, but did you measure for pushrods or go with the usual 7.4" or something? Measuring would obviously help you optimize it all. You saw how much confusion I went through when trying to do it - and you're a lot more knowledgeable than me - but I am really glad I did it that way.
Old 04-19-2016 | 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pushrods were measured. Hope to have the new numbers here soon.
Old 04-19-2016 | 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

If forced induction is your end goal, save the $1,000 on the fast intake and use it for something else... Fuel system, intercooler / plumbing, ect. Guys have made a lot of power on a ls6 intake in the FI world.
Old 04-19-2016 | 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know Conan. I just don't know how long it will take me to save up enough for a Procharger setup, and I can't leave well enough alone.

Quick Reply: Pics Of My Advanced Induction Dart/RHS 223cc Heads/Build Thread