Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW UPDATE WITH BETTER VIDEO & DYNO RESULTS! Finally done with heads and cam swap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 885 Likes on 631 Posts

Sounds great! I'm going with some similar. I can't believe how quiet your valvetrain is. What lifters/springs/preload did you go with?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds awesome, really thinking about getting either the stage 2 or 3. Hows the drivability, any bucking?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
He has the LS2 Stage 3 TorqueMAX cam. There is more to the differences between the LS2 and LS1 Stage 3 than just the exhaust duration change. The LS1 Stg. 3 you have, has an exhaust valve opening event of 54.5 degrees before bottom dead center. The LS2 Stg. 3 has an EVO event of 53.5 degrees before bottom dead center. The LS2 Stg. 3 has an intake valve close event of 47.5 degrees after bottom dead center where as your LS1 has an IVC event of 46.5 degrees ABDC. The LS2 also has less overlap of 13 than your LS1 has which is 17.

What does this do you ask? Your cam will make for a slightly broader power curve than the LS2 from the added overlap. Your cam also closes the intake valve sooner which will make for more torque under the curve, but not carry it quite as far as the LS2 with it's later event. The LS2 has a later EVO event which will build more bottom end torque and peak torque, but not carry torque quite as far into the RPM range as the LS1's earlier EVO event.

So as you can see they both have their pro's and con's, but if you notice their pro's and con's compliment one another. I didn't just spec these cams ***** nilly, I had a systematic approach. I wanted them to all fill a certain void and not have two cams that perform so close to one another that there is no point in having two separate camshaft profiles.
Awesome info right there , Well I definitely can feel the power all over to be a cam that size!!! Thanks for the info, I totally forgot about the LS2 types.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Wow awesome numbers and sounds badass! Can't wait to put mine in
Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SinisterBirdWS6
sounds awesome, really thinking about getting either the stage 2 or 3. Hows the drivability, any bucking?
Stage 2Mild no bucking
Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turyg ls1
Thanks and you must have the ls1 camshaft stage 3 right?
Yeah and I love it!!! I can't wait to Dyno it!!! Street tuned so far, It drives great!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

He has the LS2 Stage 3 TorqueMAX cam. There is more to the differences between the LS2 and LS1 Stage 3 than just the exhaust duration change. The LS1 Stg. 3 you have, has an exhaust valve opening event of 54.5 degrees before bottom dead center. The LS2 Stg. 3 has an EVO event of 53.5 degrees before bottom dead center. The LS2 Stg. 3 has an intake valve close event of 47.5 degrees after bottom dead center where as your LS1 has an IVC event of 46.5 degrees ABDC. The LS2 also has less overlap of 13 than your LS1 has which is 17.

What does this do you ask? Your cam will make for a slightly broader power curve than the LS2 from the added overlap. Your cam also closes the intake valve sooner which will make for more torque under the curve, but not carry it quite as far as the LS2 with it's later event. The LS2 has a later EVO event which will build more bottom end torque and peak torque, but not carry torque quite as far into the RPM range as the LS1's earlier EVO event.

So as you can see they both have their pro's and con's, but if you notice their pro's and con's compliment one another. I didn't just spec these cams ***** nilly, I had a systematic approach. I wanted them to all fill a certain void and not have two cams that perform so close to one another that there is no point in having two separate camshaft profiles.

Justin is a good tuner too. I'd do that for sure Ross.

I would go with a Mickey Thompson 28x10.50" ET Street Bias Ply stiff sidewall slick. With tubes preferably.
What happens if I would run"em without tubes? I ran the 26x10.5 without tubes & the issue was that they leak air that's it..

Originally Posted by NemeCes
Congrats! Will be contacting Martin when I'm ready for my cam purchase! Now get some vids at WOT posted up. I wanna hear this sucker scream.
Thanks & will do when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Sounds great! I'm going with some similar. I can't believe how quiet your valvetrain is. What lifters/springs/preload did you go with?
Yea you can here it just a lil bit at idle but when I'm driving & have the windows down you can here it but not much. I put the ls7 lifters, springs all I know that there double springs 650 cant remember what brand, its whatever tea offers

Originally Posted by SinisterBirdWS6
Thanks, it bucks a lil under 1,200 but doesn't bother me a bit..
Originally Posted by StormTrooperZ06
Wow awesome numbers and sounds badass! Can't wait to put mine in
Thanks.. I'm sure It'll be badazz as well

Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
Yeah and I love it!!! I can't wait to Dyno it!!! Street tuned so far, It drives great!!!
Cool, When are you getting it dyno
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Tubes help keep the tire inflated. A slick with no tube will lose air pressure over time and flat spot if not jacked up off the ground. If you have two sets of wheels you swap out it really doesn't matter though. Some have said it helped with stability down track. I don't think at the speeds you'll be trapping you'll have issues with stability though. Not until you decide to spray it or something crazy like that lol.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

Tubes help keep the tire inflated. A slick with no tube will lose air pressure over time and flat spot if not jacked up off the ground. If you have two sets of wheels you swap out it really doesn't matter though. Some have said it helped with stability down track. I don't think at the speeds you'll be trapping you'll have issues with stability though. Not until you decide to spray it or something crazy like that lol.
I thought it pulled hard NA and then I put a 100 shot to it and this cam screams then! I can't wait to put the 150jets in.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

That's awesome Ross. I'm glad all of you are so happy with your torqueMAX cams!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i shoulda bought stock in the cams....damiT! LOL
Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by stroked383hsr
i shoulda bought stock in the cams....damit! Lol
lol!!!

Quick Reply: NEW UPDATE WITH BETTER VIDEO & DYNO RESULTS! Finally done with heads and cam swap!!!