Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Long-block left out in Rain, Ok or Not Ok?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Long-block left out in Rain, Ok or Not Ok?

So I left an ls1 long-block out in the rain for about 2 weeks because I didn't have a cherry picker or an engine stand to move it out of the rain. I put plastic bags around the engine's throttle-body and into the exhaust ports on the heads. Do you think the engine is ok to bolt-up and run? I don't really want to take the heads off since there is nothing wrong with the engine, at least there wasn't when I took it out. I am just worried that the sleeves may have rusted. I really have no idea but I don't have the budget to do a rebuild.

I was just planning to throw an ls6 intake on and install long-tubes while the engine is out of the car and then just bolt it back together and just run the engine stock+bolt on's for a while.

This engine is going into a 96 Camaro z28 replacing an lt1.

I am just looking for a 'nay' don't do it or a 'yay' it should be fine sort of response.

If I get a lot of 'nay' responses I might just sell it and go for a le1/le1.5 combo or something inexpensive for the lt1. I don't have huge power goals but I picked up 99' trans am donor car that was wrecked for 900$. So I figured 'ehh **** it time to do the LS swap.'

So do you think the engine is fine and nothing for me to worry about or should I be concerned about the water damaging anything?

I just don't want to spend money on machining, new pistons, reconditioning of crank, rod bearings etc etc. Those things add up quickly. The car will be used for autox/canyon runs not drag so reliability and good moderate power (more than stock just 'cause) is great. No need for 440+whp.

Thanks in Advance!

--fleetfeet2004
Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Launching!

It all depends on how well you had it sealed up. It sounds like you got the big things, but what about the PCV ports on the valve covers, dipstick tube, and other little things. How hard was the rain? Gaskets should do their job keeping water out just like they keep oil and coolant in. I probably wouldn't worry too much if you had it sealed up pretty good. It's almost like driving in the rain or rinsing out your engine bay.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely the engine is fine. If it wasn't in the weather for very long there should be a pretty good coating of oil on all the surfaces.

I would remove the spark plugs and check them for any moisture or rust.

I would flush the engine out, drain the oil refill turn it over and change again. When you turn the engine over I would do it without the spark plugs, this way if there is any water in the cylinders it won't hydrolic the engine.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cpolaris502
It all depends on how well you had it sealed up. It sounds like you got the big things, but what about the PCV ports on the valve covers, dipstick tube, and other little things. How hard was the rain? Gaskets should do their job keeping water out just like they keep oil and coolant in. I probably wouldn't worry too much if you had it sealed up pretty good. It's almost like driving in the rain or rinsing out your engine bay.
Ya know, I didn't think about the pcv or dipstick. But I am assuming those would have oil coating them anyway, but I did drain the oil before taking the engine out... I probably shouldn't have.

I guess there is no way to be sure. I guess I'll put it another way. If its the worst case scenario and I flush some new oil threw it twice maybe and then start it up would there be lots of damage? I'm thinking surface rust would probably just come off when the engine starts up for the first time. Plus I has synthetic Pennzoil platinum or w/e in it so I am hoping the additives would help combat any rust to begin with.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure it's fine as long as you had it sealed up well. U probably could have put a garbage bag over the whole thing
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

fire it up..should be fine just give it fresh fluid..change the oil once more after driving it for about a week
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it sounds like you had the whole engine sitting there, including the intake manifold. Were the front and rear covers on? Oil pan? Valve covers, valley cover?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think really the only path for water into the block would be through the injector housings past the o-rings. the only way i could see this happening is if they weren't cleaned thoroughly prior to install and the o-ring is sitting on something to keep it from seating properly.

however unlikely the above may be, i would at least remove the spark plugs and crank it over by hand so you can get a peek inside your cylinders for water. water is not compressible so if you fire it up you will bend stuff.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
it sounds like you had the whole engine sitting there, including the intake manifold. Were the front and rear covers on? Oil pan? Valve covers, valley cover?
Yes everything is sealed up. I just dropped it out the bottom and never took it off the kemember, I did however remove the exhuast manifolds and put plastic bags inside the heads, but It has had time to dry off since the rain lol.

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
i think really the only path for water into the block would be through the injector housings past the o-rings. the only way i could see this happening is if they weren't cleaned thoroughly prior to install and the o-ring is sitting on something to keep it from seating properly.

however unlikely the above may be, i would at least remove the spark plugs and crank it over by hand so you can get a peek inside your cylinders for water. water is not compressible so if you fire it up you will bend stuff.
Ok I'll try it. When I crank it over the water should just pour out the exhaust ports on the heads right? Just seems like the only place for it too go unless it got in the oil pan.

Quick Reply: LS1 Long-block left out in Rain, Ok or Not Ok?